Guide – How to configure Cockpit Views / Cameras using Custom Camera controller assignments

Finally, for “unsetting” custom camera, I guess, you may just click the reset forward view button ( ctrl + space ) and then hit the key used to assign the custom camera you want to reset/unset (Ex. Ctrl+Alt+1)

This doesn’t unset the custom camera and it’s still present when you cycle through them using ‘K’ and 'Shift-K" (even thought you’ve changed the view to be the same as one of the other ones).

To clarify - if you have set 5 custom views, you can cycle through the five with the ‘K’ key. If you now want to have only 3 views to cycle through - there doesn’t appear too be any way to reset things to only have 3 views. You can’t “get rid of” the other 2 once you’ve set them, you can only change them.

You need to delete the unwanted camera views from the cameras.cfg file described in previous posts above. Make sure the remaining entries are numbered correctly.

I see your point. I don’t know if there is a way to “unset” it completely.
What about if you edited the cameras.cfg file of this particular airplane ?
Unfortunately I put custom cameras for all my airplanes, so I don’t know how default files looks like. I guess a new section of custom camera is added once it’s set (please look to my previous screenshot of one edited file ).
Would you take a look into a file of an airplane whose custom cameras have not been set ? If the section does not exist, we may conclude that deleting the section will “unset” the cameras in the other airplane

Yep - I can confirm that editing the plane specific cfg file works to get rid of them. You can also just delete it and setup your custom views again (if that’s easier) and you don’t have to worry about the numbering.

For the Steam install, those files are here (for reference): %appdata%\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes

2 Likes

Hi! Is it possible to change speed of chaging custom views? Camera moves bit too fast for me :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, according to my knowledge, there’s no way to control the speed of the camera views. On the other hand you can change the speed of freecamera only (the one of mouse or pov stick)

Is there a way to have a big beautiful view from the cockpit?
Something like the Spot plane view, except you, are in the cockpit and you have the key instruments in view, again like the Spot plane view. I don’t need to see the plane I am flying. I want to see/feel the turns from the cockpit while having the wide-open eye-candy views and the key instruments.

Aha! You are talking about the old “W” key…where the cockpit disappears but you are in the same position…yes, that would be great but I don’t see a way to exactly get it like that. And then you’d have to do it for each plane. Bring back the “W” ASOBO!

1 Like

I use Track IR and I have created Custom Cockpit Views for “close-up” views of panels such as the GPS, Switches and Radios for each aircraft accessible by keys or buttons on my X-52.

However, for me the saved view gets offset in terms of X,Y,Z and the Zoom gets increased when I return to my saved views. This happens for all aircraft irrespective of whether TrackIR is running or not.

I have examined the CAMERA.CFG containing said saved Custom Cockpit Views and see that the amount each camera gets offset/zoomed varies, hence it is not possible to just manually edit the CAMERA.CFG and determine by how much each Custom Camera gets offset/zoomed by, then delete the offset to get back to what I saved the position as.

E.g. create a Custom Camera and save it in “slot” 1, now save it in slot 2, and save it in slot 3 while NOT changing your view between slot saves. Hence, slots 1, 2 and 3 should all be the SAME, yes. But they are not: slot 2 is offset from slot 1 and slot 3 is even offset from slot 2 showing the offset is cumulative for each save.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else can reproduce this behaviour, it has been present since day 1 and thru all the updates and is NOT related to TrackIR or my X-52.

Hello. I have a problem with my views… When i start the drone camera with the Insert button on the keyboard, i get the drone camera which is correct. But when i want to go back to my cockpit/external view with the End button, i get always the fixed 1 camera on the upper tail. Now with the End button, i can only switch between drone and fixed. How can i get back from drone/fixed to cockpit/external…? Thanks!

Use Insert key to switch to (also from) the Show case camera (drone or fixed camera). the END key is used to change between the two sub-modes.

Here’s a summary:

External camera has two modes: 1) quickviews 2) freelook camera (spot on) view.

• Activate External Camera – > click “Cockpit/External view mode” (Ex. END in keyboard)
  • Use the mouse/or 2nd POV switch for freelook camera. Or for the other mode, use keys assigned for the quickviews
    • Important : If you entered quickviews mode, switch to freelook mode by clicking on “Reset External View” (Ex. F in keyboard)

Similary, the showcase view has two modes: 1) drone view (free camera) 2) fixed camera view

• Activate show case camera --> click “toggle Drone” button (Ex. INSERT )
  • You can switch between them by clicking on “Cockpit/External view mode” (Ex. END in keyboard).
  • Once in Fixed camera mode, use button A for next fixed camera and Shift+A for previous one

For more details, I suggest checking my topic : Guide -- How to use keys to switch between: Quickviews & Freelook camera ... Also Drone Camera & Fixed views

This tutorial is excellent!

By the way, I have a doubt. I used to open an external camera window in FSX to see my plane landing while piloting it from inside. Normally I opened a little window and put the lateral external view. I can’t find how to do this in FS 2020. Does anybody know? Is it possible? Thanks!

Unfortunately, several camera windows is not available in MSFS2020. Also, other views we used to have in previous versions are no longer there (such as tower, top down, AI aircrafts, etc). I hope that Asobo will introduce them in future

1 Like

Blockquote
Would you take a look into a file of an airplane whose custom cameras have not been set ?> Blockquote

There is no file until you set at least 1 custom view.

After the last update these commands don’t work.

1 Like

This is a problem elsewhere when using a combination keyboard shortcut.

Major Flaw in Keyboard Shortcuts - Self-Service / Bugs & Issues - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Please vote to get this basic flaw fixed.

I wish to use the button on top of the joystick to look around in cockpit view, and external view. your post gives me the impression u can do that but your instructions mean nothing to help people who are not experts.eg. post 5.Yes. You can configure the hat switch to move your view around the cockpit. Im stuck. Im trying to find whats in your picture, i cant. Controls/joystick/search: cockpit view yaw axis. does not bring up what u have pictured. I try entering scanning move the hat switch and the value that gets entered is JOYSTICK POV DOWN not JOYSTICK L- Axis Y. so what im i missing.

You are not reading carefully, hence missing the parts where the man was multiple times, both here as well as in the guide he spent his time on writing, passionately explaining the difference between the axes and the button on the controller - how do they work - where should you use the one and where the other.
It’s actually very simple, similar to the classic algebraic equation with the one-sided variable.
That’s…what you’re missing…

I guess some people are just not as smart as u are voyager4871. I think this is what I’m missing. If u have a different joystick the pictures, input values will look different. I need to try and understand the principals off what bin done and not try and go by the pictures. What do u think voyager4871.

Hi Kuagb, not every POV/hat switches has axis. For example, I have two POV switches, one of them (in my joystick) is just four buttons (no axis) while the other one (on my throttle) has 2 axis (it resembles the stick of Xbox controller). Assuming your POV switch does not have axis, I suggest using the following setting and you will arrive to the same result:

What I have mentioned above is related to moving your head. If you want to move your body (move physically) inside the cockpit, you need to use Translate buttons, such as

2020-11-29 (2)

Assign them to any button you like on your keyboard or on your joystick

On the other hand, I suggest reading my other post about changing between modes of the camera.
Guide – How to use keys to switch between: Quickviews & Freelook camera … Also Drone Camera & Fixed views - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like