[GUIDE] Mission Creation

I had been asked if the mission sysyem was working and thought I would chip-in.

In the form of advice, there is not a lot to go by at the moment other than to wait for documentation from the developers or work at it full time to figure it out in your own way.

It consists mainly of creating and attaching nodes, which is something I’ve worked on for over 5yrs. I was pleased to see that the system has not been totally rebuilt from the ground up, requiring all new methods, but there are bugs and differences to work through.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m keen to build some missions myself, but am very disappointed with the current state of the tools.

I really don’t understand why Asobo has left them broken. The more people than can build missions the better the quality will be and FS2020 will benefit.

Currently the only winners are people that have almost reverse engineered the system to create very basic missions as no one can compete with them.

I’m back on the development of AirlinersEnv - Flight Attendant announcements as a Mission.As mentioned above the SDK is pretty much broken and crashes the entire flightsimulator. Therefore I only use the SDK to connect the nodes. The node content I’m putting together by notepad++. I’m also doing reverse engineering and then just try to find out how those nodes work. On the side I write my own documentation with my discoveries. I hope I can share those in the future if anyone is interested.
My Mission got already very complex covering gate, taxiing, taking off announcement with more than 1000 lines of code.

There is some hope the Mission SDK will be fixed with the next FS2020 release.
On their website it says “We fixed an important unexpected shutdown in Script Editor, lately raised by the community.” I hope they are referencing to the mission SDK.

I hope.

Finger crossed.

Wow, that’s a lot of research you’ve done in those screenshots! Nice work, and a shame the SDK doesn’t help much.

As there’s so much similarly to FSX, I wonder why so much of the mission system doesn’t work?

It’s more than less the UI for the mission that is not working well right now. If you download the documentation there is a SDK file that shows most of the airplane variables for indicators like gears up/down and so on. You have to look for simVar section. However I still have to reference to the mission example files to use those right. It’s a long progress and I work every evening for a couple of hours to add more and more features/flight attendant announcements to my missions.

Have you tried adding anything visual in the missions? e.g. dialogs, assets or points of interest? I can’t get any of them to display.

The only visual I was able to get into the mission were the goals and subgoals as shown in my screen shot further above.
Otherwise I was able to play sounds files (my announcements) using the DialogActions.
There is another command to display a selection menu but that seems to be broken. I never was able to get it running.

Unfortunately there’s a very limited set of mission options right now. Compared to p3d there’s so little we can do… hopefully for now!

This is amazing work @CanineJam520641, is it all your own notes? Do you plan on sharing any of them?

1 Like

Yeah those are the notes I put together on what I discovered while working on my mission.
I was thinking to clean that up and provide it to the public one time but for now I’m still super busy getting my mission together.
But I’m more than happy to answer questions for anyone who stucks in the prgramming.

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer of help. Good to see nice people in this forum. Merry Christmas!

Yes sure. I meant these are difficult times right now. With the pandemic. Just let me know if you need help. We can also do a zoom session.

Good news:
With the latest version of FS2020 published yesterday (12/22/2020) the SDK editor for the mission seems to work again. So Happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m having a bit of trouble so far… granted, I know Mission Development is early stages, however I can get TTS working with the DialogAction Node, but despite my best efforts, adding a soundfilename value doesn’t play any corresponding audio.

In P3D, you have a value to change between TTS and SoundFile, but I can’t see anything comparable here. Anyone have any suggestions on where I may be going wrong?

Image 1 is a timer trigger followed by four samples making up an instructor briefing.

The second image is the info on the DialogAction Node.

The .wav files are 16bit, mono.

@IRISFLTSIM. Could be that you have to remove the “Sound” part of the SoundFileName. That way it works for me anyway… i.e. keeep only “V1_AUD_2.wav”.

Anyone knows if it is possible change voices in a DialogAction? The Speaker field? I see there is “NARRATOR” in the screenshots above. Which values can it handle?

Great to see lots of activity in here and everyone helping :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where do you keep the .wav files in relation to the .xml/spb file then? I have mine in a sound subfolder, hence the sound folder entry

Have them in the sound folder like you. The sim automatically looks there.

1 Like