Guimbal Cabri G2

I love this thing!

3 Likes

IIUC, thatā€™s a fuel selector which switches between fuel tanks. Mechanically, a completely different function. Not an expert, though. Happy flying!

Thoughts from a non-pilot ā€œflyingā€ the simulated G2.

• The heli seems to gain speed/altitude on a dime but it almost fights descending or slowing down.
  • I can only wonder about the transfer curve of my older controllers, CH products and an MS Sidewinder 2.
  • Wind amplifies all of this, I know, but to what extent? I donā€™t fly helis in bad weather.
  • Generally, I donā€™t think Iā€™m that slow. Iā€™m having difficulty believing a machine that is certified to fly in our skies would be this difficult to control, especially near the ground.

FWIW, just a few thoughts.

it is a helicopter, not an airplane :joy:

No kidding? So youā€™re blowing off everything I just posted or is this simply an ad hominem attack?

Have a nice day.

what is a hominem attack ? :rofl:

And no kiddingā€¦ I already wrote, may be in bell topic, that the helis in MSFS are easy to handle. Try e.g. DCS, or the thirdparty B-47, then you know what I mean.

ā€œIn realā€ you have all your senses, a 3d view, your po-po for the feeling, and onā€¦ The absence of that makes flying a heli in a sim not easy. Just training training trainingā€¦

Why do you say that exactly?

If a fuel selector valve has an off position that performs the same task as a fuel shut off valve. As already explained the reason most fixed wing aircraft have both is because of a certification requirement that needs a means to shut off the fuel at the firewall. They have the same function in the off position and are generally both in the fuel line to the engine just at physically different spots. If you can locate the selector close to the firewall then you have already complied with the requirement and therefore donā€™t need a second shutoff point.

4 Likes

In my opinion, controller set up is crucial to get the best from the sim, the introduction of these helicopters has really highlighted this.
I know some are using mouse and keyboard! Others an XBox controller. At a guess iā€™d think a lot of those with a joystick have no extension on it and sat on a desktop where the forearm is unsupported.
Then thereā€™s the question of pedals, it sounds like quite a few use a twist function on the joystick for anti torque control so that makes it hard to coordinate with cyclic directional control.

Every aircraft Iā€™ve flown IRL has the primary directional control between the knees, so thatā€™s how Iā€™ve set up my cyclic stick, attached to the seat base with a curved extension to mimic the real thing. that way I can rest my right forearm on my right thigh and lightly hold the top of the cyclic between thumb and two fingers with all movement in the fingers or wrist. My collective is a thrustmaster warthog throttle mounted on the left of the seat with the axis reversed to emulate the movement of a collective.
Iā€™ve also got pedals, so Iā€™ve got a set up thatā€™s pretty representative of the real thing, but the real clincher for me is VR. Being in the cockpit rather than looking at it on a screen gives so much more feedback to directional movements and control inputs.
Again, just my opinion, based on 8000 plus hours of real life flying in helicopters.

4 Likes

MS Sidewinder was the controller to have back in the day. I had the MS Sidewinder with force feedback lol

1 Like

Did you really think that ā€œit is a helicopter, not an airplaneā€ was a helpful response? It sounds like an insult from a twelve year old. An ad-hominem attack is when you insult the speaker rather than what they said. You didnā€™t know that?

FYI, I ran SubLogic on a Commodore64 and have owned every version of MSFS since then. I have successfully flown the helis in FSX and DCS. I have worked for years in the simulation field both designing hardware and writing code for both planes and helis.

But you appear young so Iā€™ll drop it there.

Did you notice that I used the word, ā€œMechanicallyā€? Perhaps I should have used, ā€œphysicallyā€. The mechanism for fuel transfer is different than with a mixture control even though both are essentially valves.

My setup is very similar to yours except for the VR. I hope I donā€™t need VR - it makes me ill!

When I come in for landings, I always sink too quickly right near the ground and even though I try not to, a small application of throttle sends me back up in the air again. I will spend some time on the controller transfer curves.

I was hoping a real life pilot would respond. Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

1 Like

in terms of ā€œhow fly that thingā€ , still yesā€¦ same answer you got in the other topic and now three days later you jump into this topic, with the same " thoughts ". I, and others, have no problem to fly that thing, so what should be a answer ?.. that fly a helicoper in wind conditions is more hard, yes, we know. That near ground a helicopter needs fine and quick axis movements, yes, we also knowā€¦ It is not a drone camera and not an airplane. May be the ground-effect is a bit strong, but nothing what a good pilot can not manage.

PS: why users come allways with experiance with a commodore64 ? and speak about how old they are ? Its absolutly unrelevantā€¦ I can tell about experiance in much older ā€œcomputersā€ , but it simple have nothing to do with MSFS in year 2022/23 and not with your question ( if that questions was ).

The torque display doesnā€™t % when raising the collective unless the motor is on. IRL videos of the Cabri G2 it shows the value even when the helicopter is off.

In a C172 the Fuel Selector is a fuel valve with 3 ā€œOnā€ positions Left,Right and Both. And of course a Off position. When you put it in the ā€œOffā€ position you are closing the valve in effect. The reason for Left and Right is because there are physically a tank in the right wing and a tank in the left wing.

In the G2 there is only a OFF and a ON. There is only 1 fuel tank.

Screenshot11

1 Like

I stand corrected. That is NOT a fuel selector! (blush)

But my statements are not entirely incorrect. Someone above explained the mechanical details.

Sorry, my bad.

2 Likes

I think someone here forgot that MSFS2020 is a game. For $60USD.

So very, very seriousā€¦

1 Like

I have searched but couldnā€™t find anything on this topic, but none of my takeoffs or landings are being recorded in the logbook for the Guimbal Cabri G2, even when getting clearance and landing on the runway. Takeoffs and landings are recorded correctly for other aircraft. Is this a known issue?

This mini discussion was about there not being a fuel shutoff valve and the point is that the selector performs that role in this aircraft config.

Actually this is still listed in the fuel selector category by the manufacturer but they do mention it performs the simple fuel shut off function. Although you are not selecting different tanks I suppose you are still selecting the fuel on or off. Itā€™s probably because of the typical fuel selector rotary actuation, however the action is irrelevant really as long as it performs the intended role. Nice pic that helps illustrate the point.

1 Like