Guimbal Cabri G2

I can only reiterate what I said earlier:
There is absolutely no reason for a manufacturer to install a leaning lever if it is not supposed to be used in flight and its only function is to open the fuel valves. That can be done with a simple flick switch.
If an aircraft has a lever for mixture, then it is there to be used.

2 Likes

For the sim sure do what you want but IRL not if the POH doesn’t say so. Aircraft have lots of controls but they are all designed to be used in accordance with this document not just how you want.

3 Likes

Well you don’t have to believe me and you can lean it in the sim if you want to, it just is not realistic.

The mixture lever always stays in the forward (full rich) position during flight.

Sure, you could lean it IRL, but the risk to reward ratio is very much on the risky side.
Good pilots like to keep the risk down on whatever they do.

Thats why they say there are risky pilots and old pilots, but no pilots that are old and risky

2 Likes

I do believe you, I just don’t understand why there is a lever in the first place if it is not to be used.

I get it now — that lever is just an emergency engine cut off. It’s just a weird coincidence that the first flight I did in it, I randomly picked an airfield at 7600 ASL so encountered this problem straight away.

It’s a shame you can’t fly that high “realistically” (not that that’s going to stop me). However, this aircraft is definitely great for city sightseeing and most cities are below that level so it’s all good.

1 Like

I get it now — that lever is just an emergency engine cut off.

It is not just an emergency engine cut off, it even is the only engine cut off that is used in normal operations.
Unlike a car the engine is not supposed to be shut off by turning off the ignition, you always want to shut it off by fuel starvation.

It’s a shame you can’t fly that high “realistically” (not that that’s going to stop me). However, this aircraft is definitely great for city sightseeing and most cities are below that level so it’s all good.

Well you can fly that high, you just cannot take off

But still you don’t usually fly above 10 000 ft for a prolonged time, as you would also need to carry supplemental oxygen, because the cabin is of course not pressurized.

4 Likes

Just because a control to a function is provided, it does not mean it can be used at any time in any phase of operation. This is why pilot and type training is required to operate any aircraft. Aircraft technical manuals generally do not cover how to operate an aircraft although they may contain some specific warnings for peculiar aspects of the design.

2 Likes

Well said. In our case, we rely on expert views since we do not go to flying schools.

I’ve learned a lot over the last few days about the G2 and piston helicopters. The full mixture thing came to me with a shock. It shows you learn new stuff every day.

Hopefully, when the MSFS helicopter lessons do come out next year, the virtual instructor at least mentions this full rich mixture requirement.

I wouldn’t call all the usual V speeds and other limitations etc peculiar. The POH is so called because it tells a pilot how to operate the aircraft.

1 Like

Not at all, V speeds, limitations and performance data doesn’t tell you how to fly they just inform the pilot of these important elements which are used in the decision making process of the flight. When I say peculiar to the design, I’m referring to something specific to the design that is unusual. There’s lots of data useful to the pilot, that’s why it’s published but it is not an instruction manual on how to use systems.

I think we kind of agree and I am not suggesting it replaces familiarity training or a type rating but I wouldn’t be quite so dismissive of it. It’s an official document that every aircraft has to have and be operated in accordance with. A personal user is unlikely to get training in the sim so in this environment it’s the next best reference.

Ha! Good one! :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not necessarily. I’m not an expert but LOGICALLY, the fuel “switch” is ultimately a physical device, a mechanical actuator. To move an actuator with a flick of the switch would require an EXTRA layer of complexity (point of failure) - the wiring and the electricity. OR - you have a lever which physically moves the actuator via cable linkage.

2 Likes

But it is used - to shut down the fuel flow.

So you’re not a real pilot, right? :wink: :slight_smile:

Also, in many aircraft some controls are just there for the mechanics to check out certain things during maintenance and not to be used during flights.

No I’m not.
But there are more than enough Aircraft out there who have a fuel valve and a mixture lever. The Guimbal only has a mixture lever and no valve. That’s confusing.

The fuel valve is a certification requirement that shuts off fuel at the firewall. Now I haven’t looked at the fuel system layout in the Cabri but I did notice that there is a fuel selector on the rear bulkhead which may also be the firewall. A separate fuel shutoff at the firewall is therefore not required as it complies with this requiement already. Basically the fuel selector is doubling as the fuel shut-off because of where it is located. Most fixed wing aircraft can’t achieve this because of the fixed locations of their major fuel system components.

I don’t know this for certain without doing some research but it’s a plausible reason why.

1 Like

There is a fuel valve on the rear panel of the G2.

Screenshot11

1 Like

Mixture vs Fuel Valve

The mixture lever restricts the fuel in the carburetor whereas the fuel valve is a valve that is either open or closed on the fuel line. They both starve the engine from fuel shutting it down essentially. The difference is in the operation.

Normal shutdown
Use the mixture to shut down the engine in NORMAL operations.
Screenshot13

In case of Fire
In case of a fire closing the fuel valve is part of your vital action in case of an EMERGENCY.

Screenshot12

Credit to Guimbal, screenshot taken from the G2 Manual.

2 Likes

I agree it’s an important document, I’m not trying to be dismissive of it , in fact I work with them in my professional life but for the subject at hand ‘mixture lever’, such a document will say what it is and perhaps it’s state of operation (closed/open) but will provide no clue (generally) when it should be used, if it should be always set at each end of travel or used anywhere in-between.