Gusts in **live** weather are not fixed

Yes, i think realism should have priority over subjective opinions in a flight simulator. Wind gusts are present in the real world. And if some users complain about it they could make it optional for them, not removing it for all users. They could easily put this in the realism settings.

7 Likes

Please keep all SU8 Beta information in the SU8 Beta forum.

Where are the Wind Gusts in SU8 in Live Weather ! ??? :disappointed_relieved:

KBTM 282253Z AUTO 24010G18KT 10SM FEW042 OVC090 08/01 A3006 RMK AO2 PK WND 27027/2228 SLP181 T00780006

In MFS2020 you can still land a C152 in such real bad weather conditions!
A year and a half after the release date! What are the dev doing? Do they care about realism… Can’t beleive it, it is so frustrated! :triumph:

8 Likes

yuuup. Weve been asking this forever in the su8 beta forums…

2 Likes

Please only post bugs that are new in this build, and tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Xbox, Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store Version
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No
Brief description of the issue:
No gusts/no cloud turbulence taking off in a very bad storm.

Took off out of NZWN in the 320.

Using Live Weather. Multiple Real world flights cancelled so I thought this would be a good test for the sim.

METAR NZWN 122130Z 19036G50KT 1000 +RA BKN009/// BKN014/// OVC021/// 13/13 Q0999 TEMPO 4000 RA.

A ton of turbulence reported around the area between 0-10000 feet. (see picture of meteoblue report)

Absolutely smooth as silk departure. No indicated airspeed fluctuations. No bumps. Might as well have been clear skies with no wind.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
load into an area experiencing extreme weather and see for yourself if you have any bumps or turbulence or wind gusts.
PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Definitely voted!

2 Likes

I was flying out of EGNT to EGPH last week in the storms in the UK and was getting blown about all over at low altitudes. Had to crab in my approach. I wonder if this is a localised problem?

1 Like

It absolutely could be! METEOBLUE has all this terrific data that could be injected into the sim. However, if they’re solely relying on METAR around the airport bubble, perhaps the turbulence data is not being injected? I’m not sure. I wish we could have some responses from the devs about ANY of this stuff…

With that said however, I’d think once I got a few miles from the Airport it would transition to METEOBLUE data? However, the entire departure was ridiculously smooth…

1 Like

It would be really useful to understand how it’s been implemented. It can be very inconsistent.

2 Likes

It is very hard to figure it out, it happened a few times recently that I got hardly hit by very strong turbulence flying through CB to test it out which positively surprised me and the “next day” in same bad live, similar weather conditions (full of CB etc ) it was smooth (only moderate turb) in such areas that should definitely included severe turbulence which should also make any of VFR flights unsafe but nothing did happen! Why I have no idea but that prooves that severe turbulence exist in the sim so I don’t understand how MFS2020 deals with turb?

Turbulence in CB (downdraft/updraft) and Gust winds etc are essential parts of realism and it should have been simulated since a while in order to be coherent by calling MFS2020 a Flight Simulator. We shouldn’t be allow to fly a PA28 in TS, the sim should make this kind of flight lethal as it is in reality and in Xplane!

Also it should attract the attention of the majority of this community but as a matter of fact Realism is not the big time priority yet unfortunately! Let’s hope for future updates but it’s now an emergency imo!

4 Likes

Yes, meteoblue has both wind and wind gust data so it’s up to Asobo if they want to use that data.

Wind map

Windgust map

Arlanda as an example meteoblue forecasts winds between 12-22kts

METAR says 14kts

The real winds at Arlanda can varies between 12-22kts. It’s less than 10kts that METAR needs to have before reporting gusts. I think it’s accurate predicted there. I would be more happy with wind varied between 12-22 there than having it constant at 14kts that is now.

3 Likes

Or those values from multimodel could be used :slight_smile:

Would make the landings much more dynamic/challenging :slight_smile: This would make the planes not fly like on rails anymore. Especially while landing and taking off.

We had gusts pre su 4 and i would like them back again. I thought it was fixed in this update but it was something else. Someone who reported gust makes the wind less intensive before this update?

This is forecast of NZWN. Forecasted winds between 25-45kts. METAR says wind 32kts gusting 42kts. Really accurate predicted. But wind is constant in the sim. I want the sim be as realistic as possible and gust is a big part in making the flight experience complete.

I want to add that it would be so nice to have forecasted winds injected. Even those place not covered by METAR reports gusts like this random coordinate i picked on meteoblue weather map. Even those calm places report the gust value. As i have said earlier the wind is never constant even if the winds are calm.

11 Likes

Live-weather test gusts 50sec meassure. As you can see, constant windspeed.

Red line = windspeed, Green = direction

BGKK 140750Z AUTO 07037G58KT 1700NDV -SN OVC022/// M04/M09 Q0986

Custom weather settings with same METAR winds and gusts. As you can see, custom weather gusts working not live-weather.

Forecasted data.

12 Likes

So yet another issue identified in live weather, can that be reproduced at other locations ?

Can I ask how do you get the information in to that graph ?

1 Like

Yes, it’s the same everywhere for me at groundlevel. It goes up and down max 2kts.

This is at my local airport that not have any METAR available. constant winds at 10kts

Was flying in australia last week in the Bonanza and I definitely got turbulence in the clouds

Can confirm also wind gusts not working in Live weather after testing multiple locations with Gusts reported in the METAR wind.

The variance isn’t simulated either, such as a report of 26015G25 230v310, all we have simulated is the static value of 260 and the 15 knots, the gust of 25 knots and the variance in direction, completely missing. This really is turning into a scenery simulator, sigh.

1 Like

Friend of mine and I were doing some CFR flying over the Austrian Alps a week ago and the turbulence was kicking us around pretty good around 10.000 ft

The turbulence over mountainous terrain such as the Alps, is way over-done. I’ve encountered ridiculous turbulence over such locations in MSFS even with steady and low strength winds.

Seems to be a recurring theme here. Like the icing, it’s just way overdone and more of a gimmick than actually simulated to realistically reflect the conditions you’re flying in. The code they seem to have for turbulence is if flying over mountains the turbulence is a 100% hit rate every time. Of course in reality you have days of flying over areas such as the Pyrenees/Alps etc without a spot of turbulence.

2 Likes

Wind gusts test:

LEXJ 141030Z 27018G36KT 240V320 9000 SCT045TCU BKN060 11/04 Q1017

Wind in MSFS Live weather only a static 270 18knots. The 36 knot gust is not there, as confirmed by flying in this area and also by the wind indication on the aircraft display:

If I switch to preset weather and input this wind myself, the gusts are then simulated:

Interestingly though if I fly around with this preset wind, the wind is getting up to 60 knots, that’s double the wind I have set for maximum gusts in the preset:

So the overall conclusion is wind gusts are not simulated in Live weather and also are not working correctly in preset either.

5 Likes