Has anybody been able to eliminate cockpit stutter in the Reverb G2 with motion projection turned off?

Whoa! Sounds like one dissatisfied customer. While I admit that vr is not quite perfect yet, I can’t even imagine flying any simulator without it. I’ve been waiting on this tech for so many years and I’m glad it has happened in my lifetime.

I, however, have had an issue with my Reverb G2 since my purchase about a year ago. When sitting in the cockpit of any aircraft, it seemed that the higher I had my volume level, the more bounce or jitter I would get. The slightest tap on the side of the headset would immediately be seen as an irritating jump of the cockpit or instrument panel. It is almost as if there is a loose connection inside the hmd. My cable is snuggly snapped into it’s socket, and moving the cable around never seems to affect it.
I could steady the headset with both hands and the jitteriness appeared to subside and the image was more stable. So, after removing the speakers from the G2, I put on my Sony headphones and cranked up the volume while in the cockpit. Low and behold, no more jitter from the increased sound. I still get the jumping if I tap on the hmd , but at least it’s not constant like it was. Anyone else experience this condition? Kinda hope I’m not the only one.

Wow that’s an interesting one. Can’t say I’ve experienced that with my G2; although they are sensitive … in certain angles (looking hard down to find the fuel cutoff for example) I’ve had my display ‘twitching’ because of my own heartbeat.

Very sorry to hear @AlienVisionXX’s disappointment. Compared to 2D monitors, they have a very long way to go and are compromised in terms of field of view, clarity, resolution and dynamic color range. I agree - VR is pretty over-hyped at times. Having said that, I’ve accepted the compromises and now only fly VR … using the screen is now like watching a movie of someone else flying.

That’s good advice.

2 Likes

I have experienced this as well. In the G2, I get bounce/jitter all the time. I spent weeks troubleshooting it, thought maybe it was a problem with inside out tracking with my AMD-based system. Spent weeks on an RMA process.

In the meantime, I got a Valve Index and Pimax 8KX which do not have this problem.

The G2 will bounce with my heartbeat. I am not kidding. I hadn’t considered audio, but that makes sense too.

Using WMR, MoRepro I’ve tried on both settings, and I don’t see a difference.

I’m using 471.41. Non-default settings:
Texture filtering - Quality: Performance (along with the 2-3 other settings that this setting controls)
Vertical sync: force off
pre-rendered frames

Also, I set power management to normal as I’ve heard that “maximum” is not the best setting for VR where consistency is arguably more important than raw frametime

Motion preprojection will lower the frame rate compared to it switched off, as it defaults to the lowest stable frame rate you can get and locks it. But it’s so smoother as a consequence. I’m happy now and have just stopped worrying about turning off motion reprojection. With it disabled my frame rate is higher, but my cockpit jitter is just unpleasant to use.

If you’re going to use motion reprojection though I recommend downloading the propeller mod fixes for the planes you fly on flightsim.to. It eliminates the warping for me.

Now I’m very happy with the sim and motion reprojection. I wish I didn’t need it, but I just cannot get stutter free performance without it.

I have no idea what my frame rate is as I don’t check. I use my own experience to guide me as I don’t want to get hung up on frame count. It’s likely I’m locked at 22.5 as well, but If I am I don’t notice.

When I used my Quest 2 there were options to go as low as 18Hz in the Oculus Tray Tool, which looked horrible to me, everything was watery. 30 Hz looked much better, and I suspect that;s what I’m on with the G2 but not sure.

RTX 3080 / Z5 5600X / 32GB / G2 here and with U5 need to disable MR to stop shimmering and warping. It’s much smoother without MR for me. Still don’t know why we don’t get a zoom button assignment view out the window in VR like every other sim does. Ridiculous since distant views are pretty bad in VR. Love the experience and the cockpit is sharp, but the view out the window is similar to distant views in the WMR cliff house. Could be better. FWIW, getting a good FPS boost in 2D with Ultra preset.

2 Likes

It’s so strange that we can all have similar setups but such different experiences. I have a 3090 and 10850k, plus 32GB ram and if I turn off MR my cockpit stutters, and I hate it. With MR I don’t get much noticeable warping and I have no shimmering at all anymore. I wish Asobo would provide some comprehensive setup guides for various PC configurations so that we could all know how to best set up our systems, as it feels we all have to just experiment ourselves through trial and error…

1 Like

I haven’t read the entire thread, excuse me if I’ve missed something you already know.

Do you have the Open XR WMR runtime enabled, or the openxr steam runtime enabled?

In MSFS, I gain at least 5 fps with the WMR runtime on over the steam runtime. I’ve never had much joy with the steam version

With the WMR version I get around 40-45 fps in VR (with reprojection off) with both the 3080 and 3090

With reprojection on, it goes anywhere between 20-35fps

I’ve always been a little confused by this to be honest. I think I’m on the OpenXR runtime as that’s what I make changes in, and if I use my Quest 2 I have to switch back to setting the Quest as default for OpenXR and then the G2 makes me switch back again.

But I bought the game on Steam so don’t know if that means Steam runtime is running as well?

OpenXR (OXR) is the actual runtime which may be used as sort of a “backend” for both WMR and SteamVR - depending on whether your headset and/or game supports it. You’re applying your changes in the OXR frontend/GUI, which will supply the settings to the OXR runtime. If you want to use OXR with SteamVR, you usually have to enable that in SteamVR settings. Then if you want to make OXR the default runtime for WMR again you’ll have to do that in the OXR frontend IIRC.

I bought MSFS via Steam, too, but I don’t use SteamVR+OXR because the performance is worse than with WMR+OXR. Which in this case means that when running MSFS, SteamVR should not be running at the same time. However, as I launch MSFS via the Steam (not SteamVR!) client, the Steam client will be running during MSFS execution. However, I did not find this to be any issue yet.

Kjaye767 - pop into your steam VR settings and then click on “developer”

If you are currently set to WMR runtime, it will look as below circled in red. As DerKlausi mentioned, you can change it to steam openxr runtime from here (lower red circle), but will probably give less FPS.

If it’s currently as below, I agree that it strange your performance is not better than it is.

Have you been into your windows/microsoft store menu to see if there’s an OpenXR update?

Just wanted to throw in that I have been using @CptLucky8 's settings here for Index-SteamVR on my WMR-Reverb G1 and have seen a good improvement. We have not heard if the “pc” hack is still a factor, but it seemed to make a difference to have each setting pc & VR matched one for one.

1 Like

What a fantastic response ! Nail and head right there sir. Like you say its so subjective and I AM going absolutely crazy trying to get those “really smooth” experiences and I’m just chasing a pie in the sky.
Iv got a G2, 32gb ram, i99850,rtx 3080ti NVME.2 (without motion repro i can lock in at just about 40 fps with medium to low settings and all the other common settings like HAGS etc) Anyway even with a reasonably high spec system I still cant get motion re projection to run stutter free. it runs “smooth” but judders every few seconds, then back to smooth and repeat. Iv tried bringing all settings to low and render scale right down but still judders every few seconds for a few seconds. I have literally spent the whole time learning of settings etc since the sim came out so I believe I have a reasonable understanding in settings and what should work. I THINK I have had it all running much better in the past and I’m chasing that performance again like some kind of drug, its now that long ago I’m beginning to believe it was in my head and I just believed it was performing well lol. any help or suggestions very welcome. what im finding the hardest is what i should be expecting with my spec PC and to know if I’m chasing a Pie in the sky or something that is achievable. TIA

You can try to edit the plane camera file set momentum effect in cockpitcamera to 0

I think I have a solution. I have locked my framerate to 30 fps in nvidia control panel. The cockpit is much-much smoother. It is because you have to match the fps to the headsets display freq. If the headset is set to 90hz you can devide it by 2 (45fps) or by 3 (30fps). To know what value works, you should inspect the fps first without the fps lock. I had 34-36 fps, so i decided to lock 30 to fps. If you have at least 50 fps, you can try to lock it to 45 fps. It is really a game changer for me, no more stutters, fluid motion in the cockpit. On top of that I tried the reprojection ingame setting in SU10 beta. The result is very good, no wobbling image (like openxr MR), super smooth cockpit, actually feels like 90 fps. I have some minimál tearing at the windows, but hard to nőt ice. I am very surpires with this new ingame setting, because I cant stand the openxr motion reprojection (I had always bad results with it, eg jumping image, hard tearing). So now I turned openxr motion reprojection off, ingame reprojection to depth, and locked fps to 30. I have never had this good expereince. Note that if you are useing openxrtoolkit, turn off the skahing redutcion, it is conflicts the ingame MR. Hope this helps you.

2 Likes

i have to try this :slight_smile:

Meh, not my cup of tea. The problem when you’re running without MR with game’s ‘texcopy’ is the ghosting when you’re turning the plane for example, i can’t stand it. It’s smooth though. I locked it at 45fps. Thanks for the tip though.

Sorry to hear. Yes, the ghosting is there if you look outside. I fly airliners, so it is noticeable only at gorund. After takeoff it is much better because the scenery is far away and i dont take hard turns. My priority is smooth cockpit, so I am fine with it. There will be always a tradeoff (unless we can reach 90 fps).

That makes sense. I fly GA planes, low alt, mostly VFR, so for me it’s exactly the opposite :smiley: I need smooth ground visuals. Agree on 90…unlikely achievable anytime soon lol :smiley: