Has anybody been able to eliminate cockpit stutter in the Reverb G2 with motion projection turned off?

I find the Openxr Developer tools MR to be really good these days. I have minimal artifacts or watery wobblyness. The key is a) downloading the free prop mod on flightsim.to that eliminates the visible props and greatly reduces the artifacting caused by them, and b) ensuring your CPU and GPU latency times are low enough that MR never drops below 30 fps. I find 15 m/s max for CPU and 20 m/s max for GPU to be ideal.
I then set my fps to 40 in the Nvidia panel as I’m not flying flatscreen anyway and it makes MR will lock solid at 30 fps. The only noticeable artifacts I get from MR are some wobbly on the strut of my left wing as I taxi down the runway. Once I’m in the air I can’t notice anything.

I’m still on SU9 using the openxr toolkit with FSR enabled. Turn off sharpening in the MSFS config panel by setting the sharperning = 0 in the config file and I have FSR sharpening set around 55 I think in OpenXR toolkit.

I get a very good performance with great visuals. It’s been good enough I haven’t bothered opting early into SU10 as I’m happy enough with the performance I’m getting anway, although SU9 did increase CPU mainthread latency for some reason, I suspect because of the CFD and prop modelling?

1 Like

Can you please tell me what kind of hardware do you have? Every time I use openxr MR its drops to 22,5 fps. It seems like 34-36 fps without mr is not enogh. I heard that openxr MR hits hard on CPU. Maybe thats my problem with it. I have an rtx3060ti and I5 12600.

I have 10850k, 32 GB 3200 mhz ram, 3090, game on 2 TB Nvme drive.

I’m using SU9 still. SU9 actually introduced a greater overhead on the main thread compared to SU8 so I had to drop my Terrain LOD from 150 to 125 to stay above 30 fps for MR.

I also use Mbucchia’s Open XR Toolkit. I have FSR rather than NIS and have sharpening I think at 55 but haven’t checked in a while as I’m happy with the performance.

If you go into OpneXR toolkit it or the developer tools you can see what your CPU and GPU frame render timings are. I have to make sure my settings keep my CPU below 15000 or 15/ms and my GPU below 20000 or 20 m/s otherwise in built up areas MR will drop below 30 again.

MR at 22.5 is not a great experience, at 30 fps with the flightsim.to prop mod it’s very good. Note that I am flying GA Cessna’s mainly, faster fighter jets and airliners might get worse results with MR, I’ve never flown them so can’t comment.

One further tip, I know Mbucchia and others have discussed the importance of setting the headshake reduction to 0, that seems to improve MR for a lot of people.

3 Likes

My GPU frametime is 24-25 so maybe this is my problem :frowning: And I also noticed, that if I select an other menu in the FMC, the FMC display jumps a huge, very annoying. OpenXR MR just cant handle these istant changes on the screen. So I admit that MR is good for GA planes, but not for airliners. But as I mentioned the ingame motion reprojection is very promising. If there will further tuning wich solves the terrian ghosting it will be the best solution, so its worth to keep an eye on this setting. It is also performs better than OpenXR MR, because even with my specs I can mainatin the 30 fps lock (even in bad weather and in dense areas).

A couple of days ago the sim did a re-initialize sequence, the one where you lose all your settings as if you were a new user.
Since then I had problems with smoothness, but I could just feel that it was not because of pure graphical detail settings. Cockpit was smooth but when looking outside it lagged.
In the end it turns out the rolling cache was switched off somehow. I re-enabled it with a size of 20GB and everything is back to normal. My setup is a Ryzen 5900X, 3080, 32GB RAM. I put most settings on high. I have noticed that suttering is not caused by increasing pure graphics settings. Increasing those gradually decreases fps, but almost never causes stuttering.
The problem with not having the rolling cache on and sufficiently large, is that in VR you move your eyes over a huge field of view. You look to the right seeing mountains and trees 20 miles away or more, and then you go left in one smooth motion, pulling in all that terrain on the other side. You look back to the right, no rolling cache often means pulling in all that terrain again over network. This causes stuttering for sure. Anyway, not sure if this helps the original poster but perhaps someone else. Enable rolling cache, make it large enough and make sure it’s on a fast medium.

I can render 5000x5000 pixels in each eye at 40-50FPS now. DLSS changed VR completely. I can likely see more cockpit detail in my headset than most people without a 4k monitor can. It’s ready. Things moved faster than you anticipated. 12900k / RTX 4090 (though 3090 is excellent too).

1 Like

Yeah, the biggest surprise from upgrading to a 4090 in VR was not so much the fps increase, which was substantial, but rather how amazingly sharp I can get things now using a G2 headset and DLSS Quality. I have OXR set to 160%, in game render at 100%, Toolkit Contrast Adaptive Sharpening at 100% and with that the cockpit and scenery is just tack sharp. Looking up at the wing mounts and fuel tank on a Tiger moth is amazing, as are the instruments, even the tiny lettering on the advisory placards on the instrument panel, every detail is as good as in 2D.

So you are talking about TAA there?
I’m finding DLSS quality at 200-250% OXR really good, can still lock to 45 fps still.

Having major stutter issues (unrelated to the upscaling and, seemingly, also unrelated to everything else) though,bith with DLSS and TAA, both with DX11 and 12. Are you getting any stutters (I guess what I really mean are microstutters) currently?

Yeah, OXR 160% and TAA at 100%.

Last night I was using DX11 for a change and had a flight in the steam gauge Cessna 172, with the Toolkit MR locked at 30fps and CAS at 100%, no Foveated Rendering, mostly ultra settings, including clouds, but with TLOD at 150, just to unload the CPU a bit, as I usually have it at 200. DLSS Quality. Also Bijan Seasons, as I love his tailored trees for Tasmania…way better than the Asobo ones. I flew over photogrammetry areas of my hometown, Hobart and then out to New Norfolk and beyond, replicating a pleasant car drive I did during the day. No stutters or micro stutters that I could see, and I was looking for them carefully. Even wheeling really low over my house there was no stuttering. I was using Simshaker for Aviators with some altered settings that I was testing out, with dual Dayton Audio transducers under my butt. It really was one of the nicest flights I’ve had, and all the gauges etc were crisp and clear, as was the scenery.

Ryzen 5800x3D
RTX 4090

No reprojection, right? Have you ever tried locking at 45fps?

I see you have a 3d CPU, that may help a lot. Im waiting for rhe next one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.