Has Anybody Noticed FPS drops

Hello all,

This is not a support question but more of a question to make me feel better. With SU9 has anybody seen FPS drops, I installed a brand new 3070ti and am getting around 20 to 30 FPS ( I do have almost everything cranked to ultra leaving Flight beams Denver scenery). This still isn’t the performance I was expecting, I was just wondering if maybe there was some optimization issues due to the new update.

Thanks

1 Like

I have that card and get about 30-40 smooth. I think its about right.

That is the exact GPU I plan on upgrading from my 2060super but I think the issues are mainly coming from the CPU side.
You aren’t running 4k by chance?

I would be willing to bet that like most people, you’re main thread (CPU) limited, not GPU limited.

What’s your terrain LOD set at? That’s basically the #1 performance killer in the sim.

I’m running 1080p on a Ryzen 7 2700x

Moved to #self-service:install-performance-graphics

My LOD is sitting around 140

What CPU are you running?

I’m on a Ryzen 7 2700x

CHances are, even with TLOD 140, you’re limited by the CPU. I just upgraded to a 5950X from the 2700X I had for a couple of years. If I increased TLOD over 100 with the 2700X, I basically crippled my sim.

You can see what your limitation is. Open up dev mode and bring up the fps counter. It will show you whether it’s CPU or GPU holding you back. I’m betting on the former.

I brought it down to about 100 now I’m sitting at a solid 30 and it says I’m limited by main thread which I believe is my CPU.

Correct, that’s CPU limitation. Still seems to be low for that CPU + GPU combination though. Although it will be dependent on your scenery as well. I know on some complex payware airports and some heavy PG areas (like Los Angeles), I drop to below 30 fps with my 5950X / RTX2080 combo. Other less demanding places, I can hit upwards of 50 fps. Although that’s also in 3440 x 1440 with a mix of ultra and high settings.

Yeah Denver in both MSFS and xplane seems to be very FPS heavy, I also have Flight beam KIAD which is pretty FPS heavy I guess ill just keep toying with the settings to get what works. Hopefully I can get good performance in a few minutes in San Diego.

LOD 100 I get constant 40+ all the time I won’t sacrifice fps for slightly prettier things. Game looks great as it is.

1 Like

I fly out of San Diego and around SoCal a lot. That’s another area that’s PG heavy and can cause some performance issues.

1 Like

Surprisingly San Diego stayed around 30 FPS, I think just Flightbeam in general is not friendly to FPS.

Its amazing how addons work differently because we have different rigs. My fps significantly drops with LATIN VFR KSAN but no issues with FB airports.

1 Like

Flightbeam is great on FPS. My personal experience would tend to be that IAD is an outlier as far as Flightbeam quality and performance goes. Denver, Auckland, Wellington, Milan, etc all run wonderfully on both of my systems.

A lot of people complain about Drzweicki yet his DCA airport is excellent on performance! Similarly a lot of complaints about FlyTampa but I think that’s historical from all the P3D folks who were never happy with Boston.

1 Like

No, I see FPS incerase in general , but unfortunatelly in some places still FPS gous to 2-7 FPS. Normally with DAHER I have ±50 FPS

Yes. In fact there were a lot of performance related issues introduced with SU9. There is a thread in the bugs session, in case you missed it.