Have you survived a bug related emergency and landed successfully?

Ran out of fuel, it was a good landing though when I switched off all the instruments it logged the flight:

2 Likes

The good ol’ 250c OAT bug from live weather a while back. Cooked my A320NX and caused the fuel burn to increase by an insane amount. The fuel burn was so high that it exceeded the rate that the pumps could move the fuel from the aux tanks into the main tanks. This actually saved by butt. After inspecting everything trying to figure out why my engines died, I noticed there was pretty much no fuel in the main tanks but a little bit of fuel was still being transferred from the aux tanks. I actually decided against starting the engines at that point in time and just used the APU for power. I glided down to about 8k feet while circling CYAM which was right below me when this all happened, and then I started the engines using the ~100 lbs of remaining fuel to allow me to make an easy peasy normal landing with power.

2 Likes

that is amazing! So even bugs cause us to be good pilots in emergencies. I have yet to turn on failures. I need to try it so I can be as good as you folks! I am glad I landed though with my bug related failure :slight_smile:

My first MSFS flight in FSEconomy I forgot to put the gear down but successfully belly landed the plane and got credit for the flight.

I also ran out of gas once because of poor planning on the ground and poor decision making in the air. I knew I was on fumes but since it was a simulator and not IRL I just kept trying for my destination airport but fell short a mile or so and landed in a school field.

1 Like

I have various kinds of emergencies in the sim all the time since i use it a lot to go through memory items and checklists/procedures for all kinds of emergencies… only one of them was due to a bug (while beta-testing the JustFlight Warrior, and of course it was fixed by the brilliant folks at JF)

I have experienced 3 minor mishaps (none were a proper emergency) IRL

• door opened in flight (in an archer II), not a problem but makes a hell of a ruckus and is quite a surprise
  • bird strike on takeoff run (aborted takeoff, something we don’t actually practice much; well lesson Learned). Made quite a dent in the wing leading edge. Luckily this was on a warrior II, the plastic carbon fiber DA40 would have been grounded for months
  • sick passenger. Luckily on the return after a sightseeing tour so about 15 minutes of agony for her and 15 min of concentrating on flying rather than gagging for me (passengers usually follow only one of the 2 things you tell them during briefing, they do use the sickbag, but rarely remove the microphone from their faces… so you hear it all in excruciating detail, and you have to clean the mic of your 1000€ headset and replace the foam cover :rofl: )

Blockquote I have experienced 3 minor mishaps (none were a proper emergency) IRL

• door opened in flight (in an archer II), not a problem but makes a hell of a ruckus and is quite a surprise
  • bird strike on takeoff run (aborted takeoff, something we don’t actually practice much; well lesson Learned). Made quite a dent in the wing leading edge. Luckily this was on a warrior II, the plasticcarbon fiber DA40 would have been grounded for months
  • sick passenger. Luckily on the return after a sightseeing tour so about 15 minutes of agony for her and 15 min of concentrating on flying rather than gagging for me (passengers usually follow only one of the 2 things you tell them during briefing, they do use the sickbag, but rarely remove the microphone from their faces… so you hear it all in excruciating detail, and you have to clean the mic of your 1000€ headset and replace the foam cover :rofl: )

So those were all real life emergencies? sounds like you are a good pilot for sure !!!

Yes IRL

these are all very minor things! I am lucky that i haven’t been tested in any real sense of the word (but like everyone, i make plenty of stupid mistakes)

1 Like

I landed one of the Reno package T6’s in a park near where I live. I dont have failures enabled, so imagine my surprise when I took off, just cleared the trees and lowering the nose a bit to get some speed… and the engine dies! Luckily there was farmland dead ahead. Unluckily there was a bit of a ditch I didn’t see that flipped the plane.

As ar RL pilot, have you used your skills to get out of any sim emergencies?

Engine turns off when paused bug.

Had to pause shortly after take off in MB-339

On return my power dropped, checked throttle settings etc. Tried engine start. Nothing.

I was wheels and flaps up and had a bit of altitude but the pause in flight had happened only shortly after take-off so while in view of the airstrip it was behind me and I didn’t really have the airspeed or altitude to turn back…

“What would Sully do???”

Frantically waggling the throttle and hammering the engine start button had not done anything…

So figuring I maybe missed something in the engine start checklist I powered everything down…and went through the checklist.

The engine finally started and spooled up just in time to save the day and I immediately returned to the airport.

1 Like

BlockquoteI landed one of the Reno package T6’s in a park near where I live. I dont have failures enabled, so imagine my surprise when I took off, just cleared the trees and lowering the nose a bit to get some speed… and the engine dies! Luckily there was farmland dead ahead. Unluckily there was a bit of a ditch I didn’t see that flipped the plane.

So if you didnt have failures enabled do you think the engine dying was a bug? At least you landed somewhat safely!

That is so cool! I am starting to think the “Bug Related” failures are more exciting and look what you did…you figured a way out of it and landed! They should write in a thing to give us points for the successful land :smiley: win a free plane or something!

1 Like

Well, I think the engine dying was some kind of bug/hiccup as I had no failures enabled. The engine wouldn’t restart or even tick over.

I did wonder if it was possible to push the engine too hard, if it was a realism feature, but I’ve tried recreating the failure a few times without success.

…or you ran out of fuel?

Pause doesnt stop fuel being burned

Yes constantly, as said i find the sim is very good to refresh procedures/flows/memory items for RL emergency training

It is certainly not a stand-in for RL training, but i find it an excellent preparation and somewhat keeping your head in the game tool!

1 Like

I didnt pause at any time. And yes, I checked the fuel, and fuel selector. As far as I can tell it was an unexplained blip.

What are those orbs? I see them frequently.

We should have an option to set a percentage of random failures while in flight.
Not just turn on/off failures and set a time for them to occur.

1 Like

I was just referring to street lights in the sim.

I’m sorry. It looks like my ageing eyes, and a mobile screen that was apparently beyond their capabilities, had caused me to ask the question of the wrong person. I had intended my question/suggestion for @somethingbrite.

Note to self: Don’t use mobile phone to post to forum. :slight_smile: