Having a great time (again!) - VR immersion, Florida, ATC, Bugs, Parents

Just wanted to have a little ramble, yesterday was a rollercoaster.

I was having a really bad time yesterday morning, first time in the sim for a few days and VR was acting as if I’d never taken the time to tweak it; stutters all the time, cabin shaking, low frame rates. I was SO frustrated!

So I rage quit like a teenager and checked through my known stable baseline settings (listed here) and realise that NVIDIA control panel had reset itself back to defaults… no idea why, but problem now solved! Almost certainly human error on my part…

I then spent the evening hopping around south Florida, and I’m loving VR again.

I really should find somewhere else to fly but I just can’t get enough of the west coast in the TBM at the moment… channelling my inner Steve01kinevo! I decided to purchase Key West International by FSDT from the in-sim marketplace, and also grabbed a load of free community mods from Flightsim.to (thank for the tip @Crunchmeister71!). There are some great resources out there and it really enhances the experience for me - particularly the free addons, what a great community we have!

Also, I’ve just assigned ATC select option 1 to the PTT button on my TM TCA Sidestick. I like being able to close the ATC window fully for most of the flight, having to listen properly rather than relying on the text being there on a panel to my right, entering frequencies and transponder codes manually into the radios, etc. It has really doubled down on the immersion and made it feel less game-like for me. You’ve probably all been doing this for years! Of course sometimes you have to open the panel when things get complex, but that’s okay in those circumstances - I think of it as looking up frequencies on my kneeboard. I’ve tried VATSim but I find it too stressful and often isn’t covering where I’d like to fly anyway.

I know the sim is still far from perfect and there are bugs we desperately need fixed, and sometimes I feel quite saddened by the amount of people who seem disenfranchised with the sim… Some days like yesterday I get really annoyed with it, but once I’ve managed to tweak it back to smooth performance, I’m just loving it. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones, perhaps lucked into having the right setup for my needs and found the right advice in the right order. I do hope that in the next year we get to a place where more people can enjoy the sim consistently in the way they want to, without tearing their hair out to get things stable, and I do think we will get there.

I’m really looking forward to the UK update - I grew up just outside Bristol, hopefully it’s going to be awesome.

And most of all, I really cant wait to be able to see my parents face to face again, and fly my 70 year old Dad around our home town in VR. He’ll absolutely love it.

I hope you’re all having a good week and that you can all find some glorious aviation escapism, wherever you are!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.