Stable Baseline Quest 2 (Link) + 3070 + 5800x + 32GB + 500GB

Sharing the settings that have gotten me to a really happy solid baseline with the Quest 2.

My benchmark is flying IFR in the TBM, BCN 27 departure out of Bristol, then east to Heathrow, 4pm broken clouds, multiplayer off, live traffic.

Sorry I haven’t got any scientific FPS data for you, this is based on my being able to fly for over an hour in VR in the TBM 930 with as high graphics, as few glitches, and as fully immersive as possible.

I find a good test is to shake the mouse up and down in VR, and get a feel for the latency. With these settings I find the mouse feels very responsive and my head tracking feels snappy. If I change the Terrain LOD to 200 from 100, for example, the mouse feels like it’s lagging behind my hand movements. It’s a more quantifiable measure of latency for me in VR.

Please do ask for specifics and I will try to answer.

This is the baseline from which I will push further, I will keep this OP updated with my current versions, settings and setup tips.

Huge thanks to VR Flight Sim Guy on YouTube and @GoreGonzola1133 for his Quest 2 Quality thread here:

Please Note:

My best results are always when I restart the PC, Oculus tray tool starts at login, open the Oculus app, plug in headset and open Link, then start the sim.

I do tend to sim with a specific flight to embark on, then I’ll shut down the pc and go and eat or whatever and come back if I want to fly again. I’m not really a short flight after short flight kinda guy but I do read that people come up with inconsistent results after their first flight after booting up. Perhaps this is a sim issue that will be ironed out.

Current Stable Settings
(trail settings on test)

System spec:
User Benchmark Here
Novabench Here
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Mem: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair 3200 MHz
Storage (OS): 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2
Storage (Games): Sabrent Q 1TB NVME M.2
MoBo: Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Plus
Cooler: Corsair H100x
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Case: NZXT H510
Monitor: 1080p 60hz HDMI Benq

Oculus Quest 2 Versions:
Version 23.0.0.87.517.260511599
Software 120184001103000000
OS 1201840.10300.0
Cable used for Link:
Amazon Basics Double Braided Nylon USB Type-C to Type-A Gen 1 Cable 3m Red

Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, Build 19042.746
Game mode OFF
Graphics Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling OFF
Task Manager FS2020 Priority NORMAL (Trying LOW)
Network connection “metered”
Disabled updates on metered connection
Deleted Virtual Desktop streamer
Deleted Armoury Crate
Deleted Armoury Crate Lite
Deleted Aura Designer
Deleted MSI Dragon Center

FlightSimulator.exe
Steam>FS2020 Properties>Browse local files>FlightSimulator.exe
Right Click>Properties > Compatibility
TICK Disable Fullscreen Optimiszation
DO NOT Run as Administrator
Change High DPI settings > High DPI Scaling Override
TICK Override high DPI scaling behaviour

NVIDIA 3070 Game Ready Driver V461.09

NVIDIA Control Panel V8.1.959.0
Program settings for MSFS
Low latency mode OFF
Power Management Mode - Perfer max performace
Texture Filtering Anisotropic… - ON
Texture Filtering Nagtive LOD Bias - ALLOW
Texture Filtering Quality - High Performance
Texture Filtering Trilinar… - ON
Threaded Optimisation - ON
Vertical Sync - Fast
VR Pre Rendered Frames - 2

MSI Afterburner V4.6.3 Beta 4
Core V +100
Pwr Lim +104
Temp lim +90
Core +150 MHz
Mem +1000 MHz
Fan 60%

Oculus App V25.0.0.57.658
Public test channel ON
Refresh Rate 75hz
Rendering 1.35 (second 1.3 notch on slider)

Oculus Tray Tool V0.87.0.0
Game Settings:
Super Sampling - 0
ASW - 18 Hz
Adptv GPU Scaling OFF
FOV Mult - 0.8;0.8 (I find this to be the Max FOV for me anyway with my glasses on)
OVR Server Priority - Above Normal
Quest Link:
Dist Curvature LOW
Encode Res 3648
Bitrate 500 (Trying 350)

set desktop resolution to 800x600 before launching the sim, I have found this helps with latency in VR

FS2020 V1.12.13.0:
PC mode settings:
Display Mode - Windowed
Full Screen Resolution - 1920x1080
Global rendering quality - low end
VR mode settings:
Render scaling = 100
anti-aliasing = TAA
Terrain level of detail = 100
Terrain vector data = HIGH
Buildings = HIGH
Trees = ULTRA
Grass and bushes = ULTRA
Object level of detail = 100
Volumetric clouds = HIGH
Texture resolution = ULTRA
Anisotropic filtering = 16x
Texture supersampling = 8x8
Texture synthesis = ULTRA
Water waves = MEDIUM
Shadow maps = 2046
Terrain shadows = 2048
Contact shadow = HIGH
Windshield effects = ULTRA
Ambient Occlusion = LOW
Reflections = HIGH
Light shafts = MEDIUM
Bloom = ON
Glass cockpit refresh rate = MEDIUM
Traffic Settings:
Traffic type - LIVE TRAFFIC
Airport Life - All 100
Land & Sea Traffic - All 100
Generic plane models - Both OFF
Traffic Variety - ULTRA
Data Settings:
Data Connections- All ON
Accessibility Settings:
Skip pre flight cinematics - ON

You can try using VR Flight Sim Guys slightly lower and therefore safer in-sim graphics settings from his video here but I did not find his Tray Tool settings worked as well for me (namely 1.6 render scale improved the clarity but reduced performance)

Cheers,
G

3 Likes

I’ve got an RTX 3080 and otherwise similar spec to you. After many days of tearing my hair out and faffing about with my Quest 2 I’ve pretty much got things performing well enough that I can enjoy the sim in VR. Things are still not as good as they could be though. I suffer from the same small stutter that seems to plague the RTX 3000 series cards. Sounds like Nvidia are going to release a patch perhaps even next week that will hopefully fix that since its a known issue with the sim.

I run almost everything on ultra. Interestingly turning things down to high and medium makes very little difference in terms of the over all performance for me. I get about 30fps dropping things down and about 25fps on ultra. I think as far as the graphics go the 3080 just eats it all up but suffers from bottlenecking from the CPU when settings get turned down so there’re not much material gain.

Totally feel your pain!

I have to say… the flight I just did was 99% stutter free. This has definitely been the smoothest so far. I can only remember one white flash.

But let me do a couple more flights tomorrow (Gatwick, NYC, etc) and confirm.

Other actions of note from today, will add to the OP:

Made my network connection “metered” & selected do not download updates on metered connection
Deleted Virtual Desktop streamer
Deleted Armoury Crate
Deleted Armoury Crate Lite
Deleted Aura Designer
Deleted MSI Dragon Center

Thats interesting, where did you hear nvidia would release a new driver for 30 series cards?

I also have a 3080 and can’t escape the jittery cockpit in both the quest 2 or cv1

Thread here. PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers! - #93 by CptLucky8

Info about the upcoming driver releases is one of the more recent posts

1 Like

Changes today, reflected in OP edit:

Game mode is now OFF
Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is now OFF
(Haven’t noticed a difference with these two, so I err on the side of OFF.)

FlightSimulator.exe fullscreen properties
Open Steam > Right Click FS2020 Properties > Browse local files
Scroll to FlightSimulator.exe
Right Click > Properties > Compatibility
Disable Fullscreen Optimiszation - TICKED
Click Change High DPI settings > High DPI Scaling Override
Override high DPI scaling behaviour - TICKED

Oculus App
Note that the Oculus PC app updated today.
bumped render up from first to second 1.3 notch on slider (aka 1.35)

Oculus Tray Tool
OVR Server Priority - Above Normal

FS2020
PC Settings now in fullscreen again

Something was causing strange issues with the Quest 2 Link freezing/lagging/crashing. I suspect either changing back to fullscreen mode or the OVR server priority setting to above normal has solved it.

I am browsing around and am about to change my settings to get better performance, but with my 3070 just messing around without a properly configured driver I noticed that changing things to ultra made like no difference! It seems like there is some sort of lock in the framerate around 30 frames which is interesting.

Just unlocked a big leap in performance! Updating the OP now.

Huge thanks to @GoreGonzola1133 and his Quest 2 Quality thread here:

How are you still finding your settings i have a i7 8700k and 3070 rtx i7 8700k 32 ram so will try these thankyou

Hiya Pablo, yes they’re still serving me well!

Now testing VR pre rendered frames @ 4 in NVIDIA Ctrl panel, but definitely I think 2 is better than 1. Make sure low latency mode is OFF.

Only issues I’ve found are related to additional community content and addons chewing up CPU, so I’d suggest you test these settings with an empty community folder first and then if you get good results, add your addons and mods back in.

For example, the working title G1000 & G3000 mods have a bad impact for me in VR so I remove them for VR flying.

Also, note my benchmark is flying IFR in the TBM, BCN 27 departure out of Bristol, then east to Heathrow, 4pm broken clouds, multiplayer off, live traffic.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply, look forward to trying these., i have had some sessions where it’s fantastic then the next with the same settings it’s awful

Ah yes I have had this from time to time… my best results are always when I’ve restarted the PC, open Oculus tray tool, oculus app, plug in headset and open Link, then start the sim.

I do tend to sim with a specific flight to do, then I’ll shut down the pc and go and eat or whatever and come back if I want to fly again. I’m not really a short flight after short flight kinda guy but I do read that people come up with inconsistent results after their first flight after booting up.

Let us know if these settings work for you or not! I’m doing an update to the OP now with some more background info.

1 Like

Great stuff :+1:are you on any fb groups

I’m not, but perhaps it’s time I made a triumphant return to social media… I hear there are some good FB groups on VR fs2020?

Just finished the last flight of today and updated the post, removed some test settings that I’ve proven didn’t help or made things worse. Also have found that setting my desktop resolution to 800x600 before launching the sim has helped VR slightly.

Yeah there definality are i am in two. I am for a couple of days tomorrow so look forward to trying these settings.

Another update I’ve just researched - there was a lot of talk initially about changing the .exe priority in task manager.

Do NOT change this to anything above Normal, it does not improve things and can actually make things worse. Indeeed setting this to Low is said to improve stutters if you are CPU limited, I’m testing this now.

2 Likes

What was your outcome of testing bud

Setting to High resulted in more stutters for me. I’m struggling to find any quantifiable difference between low and normal but perhaps thats due to the specific stresses (or lack of) with my system on any given flight.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.