Haze Layer Still shows up Abruptly

Haze must be deleted from game until it is fixed…it looks awful

2 Likes

To all the people who are hating the METAR implementation, all I can say is that the weather is oftentimes totally inaccurate without METAR.

It’s been raining like cats and dogs in my city since past 4 hours and cloudy for last 16 hours atleast but this is what sim has to show just because this airport doesn’t have METAR. The extent of inaccuracy is simply hard to believe and it works more like random weather than a live one

1 Like

METAR is not the solution. It localizes, disrupts and freezes an otherwise global, fluid and dynamic system. The solution would have been to further improve the original weather system (it was already capable of simulating a global weather system, however, not without its flaws).

Also AS should have told people to not expect the weather to be exactly the same in the sim as it is in real time outside their windows at given location and to not check IRL weather reporting stations for in-sim use (and then come complaining why it’s not the same).

I still don’t understand why no in-sim weather reporting system has been build to report in ATIS etc. manner the in-sim weather at given point x at time y for in-sim flight planning purposes.

And since the switch to a METAR based weather system, we have so many weird problems with the weather, that your screenshot could be a combination of a lot of different stuff going on and not necessarily be a problem due to the lack of METAR data.

And yes, I hate the METAR system, since I don’t need the in-sim weather to be the exact same as weather IRL, given that:

1. The weather is plausible for the area and time and season, and
  2. I could find out what the weather is at a given airport using in-sim weather services as to not being forced to look at IRL weather reporting systems.
8 Likes

Yeah well … I couldn’t care less if the weather in the sim matches the weather outside my window, especially when I’m flying halfway across the world and anywhere but home, which is 99.99% of the time. What I care for is a realistic and coherent weather depiction. If that is being ruined by METAR’s bubbles with their instant shifts to completely different weather, it is of no value whatsoever to me. Quite the opposite: it’s sabotaging my simming experience.

1 Like

C’mon, it’s not even realistic. Infinite visibility just doesn’t happen as often as you see outside those METAR bubbles.

Can MSFS create something like this even with the pure meteoblue forecast?

The answer is a clear NO! And before someone says that haze effect is too strong in these screenshots, let me share a real life pic as well

Most people on the forums and the Asobo itself seem to have their understanding according to the skies in northern hemisphere where CAVOK scenario is very prevalent if there’s no precipitation. But as you move towards the equator, the atmosphere may contain a lot of aerosol, humidity, haze, dust even outside the big metropolitan regions, all of which lead to some complex visibility scenarios in real life even without any clouds.

So the conclusion is pretty simple. We can have this cartoonish weather with scaled up clouds with/without the metar implementation for as long as we want OR we can put together a strong demand for something more realistic looking so that Asobo realizes how important an authentic weather system is for an immersive experience.

8 Likes

For more hazy/foggy conditions as you show, no METAR system would have been needed. As stated before, the original weather engine could have been improved in these areas, among others, and deliver what you want without weather redraws and abrupt changes as it were standard in last gen flight sims. METAR injected weather is a step back and in no way reconcilable with the demand for an “authentic weather system”, since in reality weather dictates METAR reports and not that METAR reports dictate the weather, as it is now in the sim.

2 Likes

Btw, it’s not the METAR system but it’s implementation which is at fault here. Third party systems like Xenviro have been using METAR system since ages and they are able to do a much better job of blending the local conditions with global weather. So again, let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater. What we actually need is a better metar integration OR finally utilize the tons of data like haze, dust, aerosol, humidity, PM etc. that meteoblue provides which is being plainly ignored by current weather system.

2 Likes

Did xEnviro actually get rid of the redraws? I can remember back in my XP11 days,
it still had this issue together with all other 3rd party weather softwares that were available at that time.

I would go for your second options any day and agree that given the amount of data available through Meteoblue, it’s hard to understand why such problems even exist.

I haven’t noticed it yet in the most recent version of xenviro. Btw, even MSFS is not immune to cloud redraws, I’ve seen clouds melting away around the aircraft quite a few times.

1 Like

Second option definitely. Better METAR integration is a pipe dream. Unless you can accurately predict the future weather how will you know what the next report will say to smoothly interpolate the change over time? A few seconds or minutes won’t look natural. It would have to be over the same amount of time since the last observation meaning you will always be one report behind.

1 Like

Those using VATSIM that needs the wind to be correct to those. What is happening if next METAR report opposite wind direction? Is the runway in use changed while on final approach as soon as the report updates? All of the aircraft need to change the runway LOL. Thats not how it works IRL. The weather can always change but the runway in use is static until controller decides to change. I bet it would change runway often if they used only METAR to decide runway.

Why is METAR needed to be able to use VATSIM is my question. That thing made them change weathersystem.

The real atmosphere is heavily layered, which is almost not appreciated in the MSFS (or any other similar simulations) weather implementation. It can be nicely seen in the third photo above (the real one) that the haze is limited to below perhaps 3-4 km, and the visibility is infinite above it. METAR cannot help here at all, because it is representing the surface conditions (and sometimes VV up to a few hundred ft). However, most of the data needed to replicate the visibility is present in the Meteoblue models’ data. What is missing is a post-processing engine inside MSFS which would diagnose the vertical profile at every point and determine the visibility (and cloudy) layers not defined by any “voxels”.

2 Likes

I think you mean this

Haze below clouds, clear above. This effect has been there in even the default XP11 weather since ages. For some strange reason, MSFS guys ignored these things completely and to top it all, locked the weather system for third party devs so that nothing can be done about it.

6 Likes

Haze below clouds is not something that’s absolutely unreal.
Usually clouds mark some change in the atmospheric conditions. Be it a convective condensation level or a temperature inversion layer.

Haze and mist usually don’t reach the upper levels of troposphere unless the haze is brought up by solid particulate in the air, for example from a forest fire, desert dust/sand etc.

MSFS currently injects the haze/mist with hardcode set vertical thickness, which is by no means an ideal situation, but the solution would entail some finicky programming using pseudo TEMPs etc.

2 Likes

Yes, i think it always goes up to 3000ft AGL.

2 Likes

This is still happening even with Sim Update 11. I see changes in conditions happening right in front of my eyes in matter of seconds

5 Likes

In SU11 beta, two adjacent haze areas appearing out of nowhere as I approach in M-346 (San Diego area):

2 Likes

Problem still exists after SU11.
It’s a shame what Asobo did to the weather. We’ve had this ridiculous mess for over a year now.

6 Likes

Yep, they say it’s fixed but I still had these ridiculous blobs of fog appear out of nowhere yesterday. Nothing has changed. :frowning:

3 Likes

The fog behaves like terrain. Popins, static like the terrain and always looks exactly the same.

1 Like