HDR is non functional in [Testing both DX11 and DX12]

Tested on old PC, and built a new PC from scratch and the problem is identical on both.

ISSUE: Launching the sim in FULL SCREEN mode, HDR is not possible. Toggling the HDR on or off, the Sim still indicates and runs as SDR. Windowed mode not affected.

WORKAROUND: Launch the sim in full screen mode, go to settings and switch to WINDOWED MODE, keep changes, minimize, then maximize the screen, ACCEPT AND APPLY.

Once you maximize back in windowed mode, the HDR will kick in immediately assuming you have HDR enabled. Hopefully they fix this soon, it is annoying, and from I am reading, has been an issue for months even in the beta.

Paul (HDR or DIE!!!)

Right now it’s being shown as “fixed” in the beta by community members that have tested it.
Hopefully stays that way through official release.
Regards

2 Likes

Yea Im running beta 11 and its working again. For 10 all you have to do is press alt enter and windowize the screen, then grab the title bar and jockey the screen around then go full screen again and HDR will be working.

1 Like

I can confirm that HDR now works in SU11 beta without the need for the workaround.
But it still has the problem of colour banding (most easily visible in a clear blue sky. This was introduced at the same time that HDR was broken in SU10. They still need to fix that to be back to working like it was before.

Win 11 22H2, GTX1660 TI, 4K Ultra, DX12

FS2020 display colors are more vivid with Windows 11 HDR set to “off”.
This is more like I used to see it.

came searching to see if HDR works. I just got a new HDR monitor but I’m having a hard time telling the difference when flipping HDR on or off.

Yes, It is working.

Go to Windows display settings and turn HDR on.

Windows will tell you with a message to your screen that HDR is being displayed.

thanks. yes HDR is working well as I use it often in other Steam games (have an HDR1000 ultrawide). does it only work in certain settings or lighting conditions? or with dx11 possibly? trying to think what other factors could be involved

EDIT: i add two photos below showing examples

HDR ON:

HDR OFF:

If Windows has HDR = ON and the App has HDR = ON, then it is working.
Otherwise, it is not.

There has been many Posts about the quality of HDR in FS2020.

well, the title of this thread is “HDR is non functional in both dx11 and dx12” so when i searched for the answer to my issue this is the thread that came up. if you look at my screenshots I can’t tell a difference so either HDR really is non-functional or there are some more settings that have to be tweaked.

hoping someone has been able to figure it

You should realize that the Thread (Topic) title was created when the thread was first created which was 469 posts ago. On Jul 8.

The title is not current unless it has been edited.

if this thread is no longer relevant the mods should probably close it so it doesn’t continue to confuse people that get directed here from the searches.

If one opens a new thread, they get yelled at by people to stop being lazy and search for a thread

if one searches and finds a relevant thread to comment, they get berated at for being dumb for commenting on old threads.

this place is toxic to the common folk :confused:

There is a bug whit HDR on some systems (mine to)
You have to enable windowed mode (Alt+Enter) and then move around the window to activate HDR, then back to full screen.
This bug is fixed in Su 11.

3 Likes

thanks i’ll try this!

If in doubt, there’s a way to test if HDR is working. Take a screenshot using Xbox game bar. If HDR is active, two files will be saved: .jxr and .png. Without HDR, only a .png file will be saved.

The .jxr will look a bit washed out, like this:

The .png file when HDR is off:

The .png file when HDR is on:

Note: I had to convert the files to .jpg to share them on Imgur.

Get the HDR + WCG Image Viewer from the MS Store.

It works great for displaying HDR files (.jxr).

Install it.
Then, click it.
Then tell it where the HDR picture is.

It will tell you the nits.

1 Like