Headwind A330-900neo

Has anyone tried this out, it looks like it has been out for a bit, but saw a thread on Avsim and saw the link on flightsim.to. I think it looks pretty good!

Any opinions on it, is it worth a download?

5 Likes

Literally came across it today!

Seems interesting it’s also compatible with FBW

So weird I never saw this pop up in my new files link on Flightsim.to.

I use it and it works fine with the mood of FBW. Great job

which FBW mod ae you using?

They are meant to integrate it with the latest FBW 7.0 stable during next update

It’s really good. Way better than the PMP 330, which wasn’t bad at all. There are some quirks – wing flex is wrong, it’s using the “old” FBW 32NX cockpit (which is going to be updated soon, I’ve read), etc.

But overall you’ve got a good looking big jet that handles like a big jet but still has most of the realism of the FBW A32NX. For free.

7 Likes

Oh, so it has an A320 cockpit and not an A330 cockpit? Disappointing. Oh well. Too good to be true I guess.

from the screenshot, the virtual cockpit is A330.

it is using FBW systems and panels.

2 Likes

Pretty sure both cockpits are the exact same. If I’m not mistaken, alot of A320 family airplanes use the same cockpit layout.

1 Like

No the 330 and 320 cockpits are significantly different

2 Likes

pretty great for freeware! very happy to have it

1 Like

Yes pretty good for freeware. I have already donated.

1 Like

You’d have to ask the creators, but I believe they made the cockpit as close to the A330’s as was possible while still being able to use the FBW systems. Also, keep in mind that this is the -900 NEO, not the old school 330, and the A320 NEO’s cockpit layout may actually be more like the -900 NEO’s than the older A330s. (I have no idea – just saying it’s possible.)

Also, it’s still using the A320’s systems, which may present some operational issues. For example, I was able to load in a flightplan from Simbrief with no issues, and the W&B setup worked as it does in the FBW A32NX… but I couldn’t set the ZFW and LW in the INIT page, because it kept returning “value out of bounds” errors. Which seems to indicate that it’s expecting numbers for an A320, not an A330. (It does identify as an A330 in the MCDU, but I think that’s just cosmetic.)

3 Likes

I just tried the plane yesterday, my brief review:

Overall it is excellent, the handling is really good (not studio level but really good) and systems work exactly as intended since the integration with FBW is flawless.

Now, sounds could be improved, they are low and very “vanilla”, there is a bug with altitude, with the plane not detecting the order to climb sometimes, and there is an issue with the left window, sometimes a second window appears and disappears in what seems to be a different dimension.

Overall, for a free plane I give it a 9.5/10, especially since this is only a beta, if it was payware I would give it a 6.5/10.

You don’t use any, it is integrated within the plane, which is awesome!

3 Likes

Not by much, look at this picture of the a330. That being said, the mod uses an a330 cockpit with the systems of FBW A320.

6 Likes

it’s nice. seems that the load balance and fuel options are still being not modified and same as the FBW A320, I think I would wait a bit before testing this out

1 Like

That is correct, but I don’t know if they will be able to modify it in the near future though, since they are just integrating the base FBW system into their plane. Someone with programming knowledge might bring light into how difficult this task is.

I believe it’s difficult as I can imagine simply modifying the plane name might break some links to other parts of the system but changing numbers of fuel capacity and cG limit etc if they got the real figures it should be quite simple

The only downside is the fact that you can’t setup custom views, since the plane will disappear if you try to edit the camera.cfg

2 Likes