Helicopter Take-off and Landings counts are not logged

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Using developer mode for other things. Did not touch the helicopters.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes and No. Tried both.

Brief description of the issue:

Flying in a Helicopter (G 2 and 407) the flight time is logged, but the landings are not counted. I took off from a helipad and landed on another helipad. I did not land on a runway during the flight. Airport was LSZH Zurich.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Take off in a Helicopter on a helipad, fly over to the other side where there is another helipad and land. Do not land on a runway.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

n/a

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Edit: Tried both developer mode On and Off. Did not edit the default helicopters.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Also does not register a takeoff or landing if doing so from/on a runway.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

3 Likes

It feels to me like this bug is a continuation (variation?) of this very old bug (feature?) of the logbook:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/logbook-applying-strange-rules-for-takeoff-and-landing/328757?u=nenenui

The logbooks definition of take-offs and landings is not based on the plain “physical reality” ("ground contact = YES, xzy-speed = zero for duration T) but on meeting (a sequence of?) high level abstract objectives (did you taxi according to ATC, did you use the proper runway 
 whatever).

Sadly it seems like Heli support did not result in a change of the logbook concept.

6 Likes

True it is variation. I wanted this problem to stand out and relate to helicopters.

In real life, a pilot can log his own logbook entries. We normally summarise it and sign it off with an Instructor when we do the license renewal.

Microsoft can easily fix this by letting us edit the fields. I know how many landings I did. So why can’t I fill it in myself? Problem solved.

2 Likes

ATC automation also does not see the helicopter as “down” until you touch the skids to the runway. It gets irate if you start to taxi without doing that as well. Might also be connected to this detection behavior, or lack of.

I gave up on the logbook recently as it just stopped logging anything. I now use Volanta which is far better but naturally will not count towards “in-game” hours, but at least it works.

2 Likes

Doesn’t developer mode being active normally prevent entries in the logbook, whatever the aircraft?

Maybe do a forum search of “logbook developer mode”. I suppose it is possible that this has now been changed, but i have yet to find anything that says it has.

1 Like

Yes, nothing gets logged in Dev mode, i’ve only used it a couple of times when tweaking settings and never have it on when in a flight

OK, but the OP had answered “Yes” to the question about whether developer mode was or had been used, introducing an element of doubt as to whether the fault is just related to helicopters.

2 Likes

I have dev mode off, and all of my take off and landings are logged just fine, but as I said before, ATC has to see skids down to move to the next phase to contact ground to taxi, or to hold short and enter runway for takeoff

2 Likes

I also have dev mode off (only use it when checking CPU/GPU loading when messing with graphics settings), am going skids down on the runway, and getting ATC direction to exit next taxiway, etc. but don’t believe I have gotten any landings logged in the helicopters so far. When I switch back to the F/A-18E or what not it seems to log normally.

Are you starting from cold and dark or on the runway? (Not sure why that would affect landings, but I’m not sure what other variables are different. I usually start from the runway due to lack of time (in the helos it seems to put me at the hold short), but usually taxi back to the ramp when I’m done with a flight.)

1 Like

Yes I did use developer mode and switched it off as well.

There are many logbook related problems. This is just a new one related to the counting of helicopter landings and take-offs.

1 Like

Interesting that your sim are logging the number of landings/take-offs. Are you on Xbox or PC?

My logbook is logging the ‘Time’ but not the ‘No of Landings/Take-offs’

Where do you land in the airport environment? I land on helipads directly. No touchdown on runways. I land, shut down and when I switch the Master Off and then the flight summary appears. But 0 on the counts. Only time. It even picks up the ICAO code of the airports where I have flown.

But it should count no matter where you land. If I land in the forest or desert, every landing /take-off should be counted.

3 Likes

I also start mostly engines running ready for departure. However, after landing (on helipads) or even everywhere in the countryside, I shut down the engine.

Of all the helicopter flights I did, Dev mode Off, I still have 0 take-offs and 0 landings in helicopters.

4 Likes

ATC / No ATC. Runways/No Runways. Doesn’t matter.

Yesterday I flew from an airport with no helipads. I used the runway, but still no logging of take-offs/landings. Just time.

1 Like

In Dev mode no logging. Sorry my bad, I should have mentioned from the start that I used Dev mode Yes and No.

Also even dev mode was used for other stuff. Helicopters are orginal.

No worries.

There are other reasons why helicopter flights might slip through the net and I’ve possibly fallen foul of them myself, when getting told off by ATC for taking off without permission, probably due to not taxiing to the correct spot before takeoff. :wink:

I have been streaming a series where I am flying around the world in GA aircraft, no autopilot, just hops from airport to airport.

Part of my procedures, because of live streaming it, and running it at half tank of fuel max, so I have to land and top off from time to time to take RL bathroom brakes, so we “simulate” stopping off at different airports along the way.

I have had every landing counted, it either says the airport, or vicinity of, for the smaller airports where I find a patch of grass nearby out of the way (other people are following me during a stream, so making parking space)

I did notice on release day, I was getting thousand of touchdown notifications, likley because of touching or dragging with skids, but that has stopped, mayhap they put in a debounce limit for that?

I was messing around in Hawaii the other day, just weaving though buildings, dragging skids to run-on landings, and non of those counted though. Maybe stopping the motor is the key?

I should also add, for testing, I tried, cold startup, starting on runway, and starting midair, it is counting everything for me.

I also have an ongoing bug, because I play in VR, where after small updates OBS cannot capture the game, and it will not go into VR mode, and I have been having to delete my MSFS roaming file folder, which takes like 12MB of files to redownload, when in the past I had to completly redownload the entire sim. I wonder if I am correcting a corrupted file by doing that, and is effecting others in unknown ways too

Link to that thread, so you can see what I have been doing there too: After every update, the VR button flashes, but it is not going into VR mode - #2 by YearlingDeer319

I think since helicopters can land almost anywhere, it should not matter if ATC was used, or that proper startup/shutdown was made. Even if I land in the bush it should count as a landing.

For reference, I took off from LSXB in the Alps, flew around the helipad and landed again on another spot. The departure showed LSXB but the landing showed LSXB [Vicinity]. This heliport is unmanned so no ATC and it has a huge flat area where helicopters operate. Proof that the logging system does not work properly.

Well I have 7 witnesses of this flight.

3 Likes