Here's how I solved my random CTD's after SU5

Like many others, I have been experiencing frequent random CTD’s after this update. Unfortunately the hotfix released this morning didn’t fix my issue at all. After some digging around and trial & error it seems like I have solved the issue. I’ve just flown two flights for a total of two hours without a CTD. I have no idea which of these, or which combination of these actually solved the issue. But here’s all the steps I took:

1. I found a post here that suggested using the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center. When I ran the app it initially reregistered and restarted the windows installer service. Once it was finished, instead of clicking “Finish”, I hit next and it then said it would repair Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2.

2. I disabled Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling. You can check whether it is enabled or not by opening the start menu and searching for “Graphics settings”. It’s the first option on the graphics settings page.

3. I uninstalled all my 3rd party content from the package manager. I had the G1000 NXi, FBW A320N, the Mooney Ovation and some hand crafted airports originally installed.

EDIT: I have since redownloaded the G1000 NXi and the Mooney Ovation and I’m still not getting a CTD after ~10 hours of flying. I’m going to try adding back more of my 3rd party content to see if it’s still stable. My guess is it will be. I think the real fix was repairing .NET Framework and/or disabling Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling.

For those of you who are unfortunately experiencing a CTD every time you use the world map, I don’t know if this will help you since I personally haven’t been having an issue with that. In fact I’ve never had the sim crash on the main menu at all. I only ever got random CTD’s after flying for 1-40 minutes.

2 Likes

My eternal blue line progress bar crash on the world map was solved this way: Here is what “worked” for me. Remove everything from the community folder. Do a complete reinstall. All 140 plus gigs. Do NOT put anything back in the community folder. I am now able to load from the world map and enjoy the sim but do miss a number of mod aircraft and spiffed up airports and scenery.

1 Like

Good stuff, that hardware accelerated GPU scheduling is devils mayhem

1 Like

Thanks for linking my post!

if you get the Exception code: 0xc0000005 memory access error. It seems to be a buffer overrun, and it’s something to do with .net install so installing of repairing seemed to work for a few people :).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.