High End Upgrade - wasted

For memtest errors, you can isolate the bad stick by testing one stick at a time in Slot 0 (check your mobo manual for the correct slot). Be careful when you remove the sticks that you keep the pairs together if you have 4 sticks.

MemTest86 reported the memory address of the failure. What does this mean?

When MemTest86 detects errors during the memory tests, the memory address, actual and expected data are reported to the user. The memory address is the location in system memory where the data contained does not match what was expected. This is the address that is specified by the CPU to the memory controller when requesting data from DRAM. The memory controller then decodes this memory address to identify the specific channel, DIMM, rank, DRAM chip, bank, row and column in DRAM using a chipset-specific address decoding scheme.

The address decoding scheme is the process used by the memory controller to generate the appropriate address signals to the DRAM chip. Depending on the memory controller, this process can get fairly complex as it is not simply a a direct mapping of the system address bits to the DRAM address bits. In order to increase the memory performance, strategies such as channel interleaving (for Dual, Tri and Quad channel setups), rank/bank/row interleaving, and address swizzling are used to increase the concurrency of memory accesses. For some chipsets such as AMD, the address decoding scheme can be configured/determined via PCI registers as described in the chipset specifications. For other chipsets (eg. Intel), however, the address decoding scheme is proprietary and not made available to the public. This makes identifying the DRAM address and correspondingly, the failing module, much more difficult.

And, on top of this, make sure you are inserting your ram sticks in the correct slots. As @OldpondGL alluded to, when you are inserting multiple sticks in a MB, they are often physically interleaved. The first two sticks you insert go in slots 1 and 3, then 2 and 4, etcā€¦ But it depends on the motherboard and the correct insertion order will be listed in the manual.

And, as he directly noted, itā€™s important to keep the sticks paired as they were delivered.

3 Likes

He has 2x32 GB. That MoBo has only 2 slots.

Cheers

2 Likes

If both sticks turn out to be good, then likely there is a configuration issue in the BIOS. The CAS numbers in the BIOS must match whatā€™s on the package.

2 Likes

Wait, wait. It has 4 slots. I had checked pictures only and due to the two tones in the supports they were misleading but user manual shows 4, as well as tech specs in Asus web. Sorry guys!

Cheers

4 Likes

Iā€™m not an AMD guy, but I think Iā€™m right in saying that if heā€™s testing using a single stick only, this can go in any of the slots? It doesnā€™t have to go into Slot 0, for example. Hence my suggestion to test a single stick in multiple slots to see if any of the slots have issues vs the modules.

Obviously to get double data rate you would populate Slot 0 and Slot 2 first, then Slot 1 and Slot 3 (for a 4-slot board), and youā€™d need paired DIMMs there, but for one-at-a-time module testing (which will therefore be SDR), I believe any slot can be used. But totally ready to stand corrected if someone else knows better.

1, That splitter looks a bit stressed on the outer radius, just for peace of mind it has to go.

2, Do you have another sim/game to load your PC besides MSFS?

3, I am sure you have checked the numbers on your Chipset Driver? should be
AMD Chipset Driver V5.06.16.400 2023/08/16
Note! According to ASUS they suggest you remove the old chipset driver first before installing the new version driver. Due to the different structure for drivers.

4, Your 2 stick Memory slots are A2 & B2 ( run with 1 stick in A2 ) as others have said, See how it goes then swap them over ā€¦one stick is more than enough, and both should not be faulty.

1 Like

It really depends on the Motherboard. Some motherboards Iā€™ve used have specifically prescribed which slots to use and which order to fill them depending on how many sticks are being installed. Itā€™ll say in the manual.

Iā€™d be concentrating on the Windows 11 BSODS. Iā€™d take out the GPU and use the onboard graphics to stablise the platform.

I have seen this type of issue before, where it turned out it was a bent CPU pin, when the user inserted it into the CPU socket.

With Nvidia GPU removed, run your tests to see if the BSODS are still happening. The best test might be to try and install Windows 11, if it BSODā€™s take out one of the sticks of RAM, if it fails, try the last stick of RAM on its own. If it stills BSODā€™s both sticks, Iā€™d be taking a close look at the CPU/Socket pins.

2 Likes

Morning,

Iā€™ll reply to each soon, but in the mean time this is the Manual for Ram and this is how they are installed. Iā€™ll do a memtest in those slots Intially which one stick at a time as its those slots Iā€™ve beenā€¦

It may look bad with tension, but itā€™s really quite free. There is no tension. Iā€™ve seen the link provided, but does that not go against using 3 branches as suggested. Itā€™s something I will look into.

1 Like

The splitter may look under tension, but itā€™s really not. Itā€™s actually free. I may look into another splitter as mentioned.

I donā€™t have no other game. The rig is for MSFS.

Iā€™lll reinstall Armoury Grate as this is an Asus utility to keep drivers/chipsets ect upto date, but to memory everything is OK and upto date.

Currently doing a memtest on A2 with the first stick. So far nothingā€¦ :crossed_fingers:ā€¦

1 Like

This is something I will look into if I need to go to that stage. Iā€™ll await memtest and see whatā€™s what with this first. :+1:

1 Like

Now that you mention it, Iā€™ve experienced problems with a bent CPU pin (my fault.) Funny how the brain forgets mistakes like that.

2 Likes

First thing, the images I posted of the memtest86 was actually an older version, which I didnā€™t realise at the time, so I downloaded the latest v10. 6 from memtest86.

Right, cat amongst the pigeons here. I tested each stick individually. I only used the slots A2 & B2 as these are the slots Asus say to use first and the slots the ram has been in when issues occurred.

Test: stick 1 in A2 and then B2. Removed stick 1. Stick 2 in A2 and then B2.

Resultsā€¦ PASS!?? on both sticks.

I may do a dual test tomorrow, but I canā€™t see that making much difference.

Square 1 has invited me back :person_facepalming:

Both together may stress the memory controller more. Try it for sure and see what happens.

When you installed Windows 11 before (initially), was it a fresh install or an ā€œupgradeā€ over a previously installed Windows 10?

2 Likes

GAZA350 I really feel sorry for youā€¦couple of points have you removed the CPU to see if you have a bent pin? Apologies if you have already done this.

I might give it a go with the dual test then.

It was a fresh install for windows 11. I think about 3 times it was done. First time was done by the windows techs.

Hi, no ask away. I havenā€™t done that. One reason why is because itā€™s shown no signs of error, I say that because Asus Armoury crate utility shows the performance of the CPU. Or perhaps it may still do so with a damaged pin?

Iā€™m not sure if to send the PC away to have it tested or return all the components and think again. Iā€™m hesitant with option 1 as its more expense and with new components I should have to do so.

I would remove the CPU and check if it were meā€¦I would also reset the BIOS to its default setting as well

Any other hardware hanging off the PC