High GPU usage and temperature

Hi,

I know that SU5 has shifted some workload from the CPU to the GPU and some people have issues when in the menus. While I too see some increased GPU usage in the menus, it’s mainly the in-flight section that’s causing me headaches.

As soon as I spawn at the gate/parking/runway, the GPU usage of my RTX 2080S jumps to 98-99% with temperatures going up to the 85-87 °C, which is pretty much max. temperature. And it never goes down during the flight. This can’t be healthy for my GPU, can it? Fans kick in, naturally, running at 100% all the time.

Before SU5, I had steady 30-45 fps without any major issues Now my PC sounds like a jet taking off. Not to mention I’ll probably destroy my graphics card. I checked my graphics settings and everything is as is was before updating.

I do have a slightly higher frame rate than before, but at what cost? I’m pretty much toasting my GPU.

Is having anyone similar issues? What do you do?

5 Likes

Those are high temps yes, but those cards should never reach those if fans are 100%, only reason I can think of is that your case has utterly terrible airflow and its just getting choked.

Care to share some info about the setup?

3 Likes

I’m playing pretty demanding stuff with my computer, and very rarely had these issues. I also read these temperatures from Windows Task Manager and I don’t know how reliable these readings are.

My system is a Ryzen 9 3900 12-Core, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super, SSD

1 Like

Task monitor will more than likely be correct, you can always download Afterburner and use the overlay in game to see what temps are (and monitor everything else)

What kind of air flow do you have / what case? Also what is your ambient temp, and what temp does CPU run at?

1 Like

Hm, don’t know really what fans I have. A really big one which sits directly on top of the CPU, One in the front panel and one in the back. The case is the one from HP Omen 30L. Ambient temp is probably normal. Not very hot, even for summer. And Task Manager does not show the CPU temperature. So I might install Afterburner and check what it reads.

1 Like

Looking at the case, air flow does not look … great, everything is covered, as a pure test, remove the front panel, see if you can lower those temps down.

Also worth looking into what RPM chassis fans are running at, might be just ticking over and just not pulling enough air through to do anything.

Keep in mind that better utilization of both the CPU and GPU is exactly what is providing the better performance that everyone is hailing. So from that point of view your increased temperatures are a good thing. It’s what we wanted.

But I suspect this release will expose the fact that many CPU, GPU, and power supply fans are full of dust.

4 Likes

well, 100% GPU usage should be what we all want, all the time, in every game. at least if the game is demanding. it means the card does everything it can to produce the most FPS.

8 Likes

Amen to that, just those temps are way too hot, something not right there.

Cap your frame rate to 60. Otherwise when you’re in the menus or high in the sky the frames will go nuts.
I’ve actually capped mine to 50 and it makes the camera change stutters less noticeable plus it keeps my temps from going into the 80s.
Try it!

most nvidia cards have their limit at 95°c if i remember correctly. what you could try is opening the PC case. look if the radiators and/or fans are dusty, it often helps to clean those. if that’s not enough you need better airflow through the case. maybe you could post a screenshot of the open case?

1 Like

Cap your frames and your Gpu will run cooler.

Hi, the same here.
Have a highend PC. Never thought that this huge frame rate increase would apply to my situation.
So a big thank you Asobo :+1:
I tackled the problem of excessive powerdraw when in the menu’s or flying at a res < 2560X1440, by enabling vsync and then capping the framerates to 30fps. This can be done in the sim
Now again powerdraw of 100W@30fps when the flightsimwindow is scaled down in resolution.
When flying with the window maximized (7810X1440) the GPU is maxed out. (250W)
I do have monitors with fixed refreshrates
Hope this helps

Same here 100% GPU :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Your GPU is supposed to be running at 100% when running games. If its not, then you have a bottleneck elsewhere or the game you’re running isn’t well optimized.

Temperature-wise… hitting mid to high 80’s is concerning, but well within the margins that are set by Nvidia on what is considered safe.

This video should prove just how well these GPU’s can handle heat before you actually break it -
How much heat and stress can a GPU ACTUALLY take?? - YouTube

There are many variables that contribute to high temps. Things like case airflow is a HUGE contributor to the cooling efficiency of your rig. Another one is thermal paste - it can dry out and once it dries out, its heat transfer capabilities to move the heat from the die to the heatsink/fan drop and will cause your average operating temps to rise. Factory original thermal paste has been known to become inefficient at heat transfer in as little as 1 year of daily use.

If your 2080Super is an Nvidia card with the blower-style fans, you’ll have to use a program like MSI Afterburner to create a custom fan profile to have the fan ramp up to keep up with temps a lot better.

If its an AIB card from like EVGA or ASUS or MSI, you only need to adjust the fan profile as AIB cards tend to have beefier cooling solutions. In my experience, any non-nvidia manufactured card tends to never get temps to go above the low 80’s. Especially if fan speed is set to something like 70-80%.

More advanced users can go look into undervolting - running the GPU at a lower voltage at the same clock speeds will allow the card to run much cooler and more steadily.

Even my 3080Ti on its gigantic heatsink - it never went above 81c during gaming. After moving to water cooling it barely gets above 50c. And in MSFS - it never goes above 34-35c.

What case is your rig built in?

2 Likes

I’m now using VSync to hard cap my fps to 30. That helped to keep the GPU load smaller. I now have GPU temps at around 75-80 °C, running with a mix of medium-high settings.

I did try to run the PC with the glass side open, that did little to lower the temperature (only 3-5 degrees) and that will not work because I have cats roaming around the room. That would be too dangerous.

I might want to look into a new cooling system in the future. That was definitely not on my plan but it might me quite worthwhile, given the current shortage of GPUs. I cannot loose this one :slight_smile:

I had the same observation, that after SU5 the temp of my gpu increased. Before I had between 50-60°C. Now between 70-75°C. Usage of the GPU now around 90-95% (2070 Super) on ultra settings, while cpu is around 25% and RAM around 50% (ca16 gb of 32). But I have this higher temp even in the menus without flying. This is really bothering me

Hello,

I just notice that one of the fans is not working (can I change this on the setup? Or is it broken or the wires are not connected?) the sim has been going for around 5 hours and the temperature is being steady on 60c (I have got the RTX2080Ti and water cooling), I have 3 screens connected and also I cleaned the computer today (it was made one year ago just for playing MSFS and I only use it for it) , haven’t put the glass back , before the temperature of the GPU was also reaching 75c and I guess when I put the glass it will happen again. The room temperature is about 25c. Thank you very much.

I’d counter that as running at 100% could be suggesting it’s struggling to do what you ask it to or you are rendering at an fps above your refresh rate and wasting those extra frames.

You can have everything at maximum and only have your GPU running at 50%.

Sounds like an issue with the cards cooling.

The card is designed to run at 100% and it’s great that the SIM card demand 100% from it otherwise we’d be leaving performance on the table.

Whilst you investigate the cards cooling and look for a fix for it.
Cap your FPS and undervolt your card.

A Kraken G12 and AIO keeps my card at 45C max whilst flying and is silent

1 Like