High GPU usage and temperature

Check that the case fans are working to pull cool air in via the front and out the back.

Is the case in the open or in a cubby hole?

Have you got filters in the case as they might need cleaning as well?

After putting the glass back it’s running between 81% and 95%. Temp. 66c. CPU 11% and memory 23%. I have got 6 other fans (water cooling) not counting the 3 on the 2080 (where only 2 are working)…The FPS are at 60. The only alternative would be 30 which is too low or perhaps it is what’s happening after this last update SU5 :frowning:

They are all working and I can hear them… 6 and the water cooling as well plus the other 2 from the RTX. I need to see the problem with the 3rd. Today I cleaned everything I could see but and there was some dust inside. That area you are talking I vacuum from outside.

As mentioned, cap your frames or look up undervolt gpu, on YouTube.

With undervolt you get about the same fps but with less power draw and heat. I can recommend.

1 Like

Closing up the case and seeing temps rise would suggest not enough cool air is getting in. Not sure how given the number of fans (assuming they are flowing in the right direction.

I’ve rearranged my pc to try and improve airflow my moving ssds and their cables out of the way of the front fans to the gpu.

Could be that you are recirculation the warm air back into the case?

Depending on the model of your card, either the fan is dead, or the GPU has a BIOS set so that the fans operate independently and each one functions based on temperature. You’ll have to look into this.

With EVGA cards like I had, the fans do not turn on until GPU temp exceeds 60c by default unless otherwise changed with custom fan profiles using tools such as MSI Afterburner or similar

1 Like

This would suggest having a bottleneck on your system, such as your CPU not able to keep up with rendering.

Or… the software/game you are running is not optimized enough to utilize hardware acceleration properly.

1 Like

Undervolt your GPU, depending of the assembly you probably can do an undervolt and little overclock at the same time, gaining performance and lowering by a lot your stock temperatures and also the power consumption.

Check how to do it with MSI Afterburner, it’s pretty easy and definitely worth a try.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I just downloaded the last drive update, so I’m hopping this will improve. And I’m now looking at Qfan control (at the UEFI BIOS utility) My knowledge about this stuff is pretty basic (until the pandemic I was a Mac person) so I’m back to the windows because of flight simulator and need to remember and learn this stuff in order to survive the heat :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the help :slightly_smiling_face: I inside the UEFI Bios utility but I’m afraid of changing things and cause a major problem, probably I next week I’ll call the store (I know them and allow them to remote access my computer) and change things, well I decided the fast running on the cpu and also the chassis fan 1 and 2 from standard to turbo, don’t really know what is going to happen but I can restore things if it gets crazy…

If the CPU temperature is getting too high, something is very wrong with the computer.
Even when running Prime95 with the AMD Wraith Prism on my eightcore Ryzen 7 my temperature in mid summer will never exceed 73° Celcius.

Maybe you should install a better CPU cooler with new thermal paste (Arctic MX is one of the best) and open the side panel which signifantly cools the graphics card when it has no blower-style cooler but circulating air with a temperature of 85°C inside the computer case.

Or that you have a beefy enough gpu not to need to run it at 100% to achieve the maximum settings that the game is set for (or whatever you are aiming at). Nothing to do with a bottleneck or optimisation.

No point in rendering 100fps if your monitor only works at 60.

Not being argumentative just saying it’s ok not to run at 100%.

With the MSI Afterburner (windows program) you can alter the settings of your GPU without entering BIOS or anything else, just in one click, and return to default values whenever you want. It’s pretty easy and you can’t damage anything. Check for an MSI Afterburner undervolt or overclock in Youtube and you will see how easy and safe it is.

I do have profiles for low consumption and for max gaming performance and I switch between them just in one click and even in-game.

2 Likes

That’s good, you should be happy that your gpu is used fully.
For better temperatures clean your PC, make sure there’s a good airflow (make it if it’s not) and that’s about it.

1 Like

My GPU also sounded like a vacuum cleaner and was throttling.
The problem was the old thermal paste, after i applied new paste it’s 10 degrees cooler and silent.
Maybe that is your issue.

And now I manage to install the ASUS GPU tweekII did something (I don’t remember :frowning: Probably changed the settings to gaming) and now I have it working between 97% and a 100% my monitor is 49” curved but not 4K. The temperature is still very high 66/67 but one of the fans led side is not working (3 fans on this ASUS ROG). If it is not a software thing is it possible to be a loose wire? Or no way because they are all together? Thanks in advance​:slightly_smiling_face:

I Actually repasted my 2080 after 2 years, i was getting temps in the high 70’s and low 80’s at times.

Now it rarely reaches 70c, it ussually sticks at 65-68c

Thanks I installed the ASUS GPU teak II I will take a look at that program you are telling, now I have a the GPU at 97/100% but still 67c I think the fan ( 3 in the GPU) not working is the motive.

Those temps are fine at that load. My 3080 puts out around 70°C heat (great in the winter).

I’d check with the manufacturer about the third fan.

The temp is good. Don’t worry. Everything below the range of 80ish is ok.