High GPU usage and temperature

As others have said, in most games your GPU will max out, unless you limit the framerate, or have another bottleneck. I suggest limiting the framerate if you are worried about wear & tear from high thermals. I am having the opposite problem - for some reason my GPU and CPU are not being utilised properly in MSFS, unless I initiate a ‘discovery’ flight. Very confusing. I posted a topic about it here:

Right, but all things being equal you’ll want 100% utilization regardless.

If you don’t need 100% utilisation to achieve the level of detail or settings you want then there’s no reason to have it running at 100%. Wasted effort.

It’s like saying you’re hungry, using the whole loaf of bread because its there but only eating one sandwich.

And most people WILL need 100% utilization, because the vast majority of people are not using the latest and greatest GPUs or even capable of running MSFS at High or Ultra without heavily bottlenecking their rig elsewhere.

Lets try and think about this in the big picture and not the select few who can afford a 3090 or 3080 and have the rig to support it - regardless of the games own performance/optimization issues

1 Like
  1. GPU manufacturers should have the hardware specs including operating temperatures. If the GPU temp is within that temperature range, then all is good.
  2. Keep all the covers, lids, glass panels closed. Cases are designed to flow air through the case correctly to keep everything from overheating. Removing or opening lids, covers, or panels can do harm because the airflow isn’t properly flowing through the case.
  3. Don’t use the GPU to heat up a ham sandwich. It gets very messy especially if cheese starts dripping out. Take a break and go to the kitchen to heat food!
1 Like

I saw the 87°C on your screenshot on another page and reckon your gpu’s hotspot is at least 8° hotter. Not only is your 2080 likely to be throttling you are slowly cooking it.

I notice my laptop on my legs is definitely hotter then su4 but when I check the temps it says it’s only 75.

I’m also using methods to keep temperature at check because my room is already 30c on a normal day, they did come at a cost of slight performance loss.

• Undervolting
  • FPS cap
  • GPU Temp cap

These cap usually resulted in my 1080Ti running at around 1920MHz instead of 2000MHz, but I don’t find the performance penalty significant in game.

Thanks I will next week. Playing two hours it is quiet lower 62/63c and got FPS between 35 and 106 depending were I was flying or looking at details inside the cockpit :slightly_smiling_face: I did the gaming option on this app. It is the first time I’m controlling this things.

1 Like

Thanks I will read it , imagine for someone like me that knows nothing about this, but definitely I’ve been learning a lot (I think I started this week). Sim hen I asked this computer to be build for the game I just told the people from the store high end definition (according to MSFS) and the best brands (Intel was the only one I knew so the processor is a i9), I have been a Mac person since 2006 when apple decide the boot camp with the intel processor…

I did put the glass panel back🙂, after observing the temperature (it just went up 3c), but there was a bit of dust inside and I did clean it very gentle, the computer is 1 year old and I never noticed if the inside fans were working - the 3 from ASUS ROG - one year ago I didn’t even know about the water cooling or the rainbow lights inside the box (I was shocked but the size and the heat it “delivers”) or whatever, I asked the people from the store to switch them all off (as I didn’t want any lights) but they weren’t able - so that’s why I think one cable / wire could be badly connected and the fan is not working for that motive.

But know things look better don’t they? Or still not☹️

That 75c temperature is being considered too high on this forum…but definitely that is not healthy to keep so near your body…

I find it amusing that people complain when the main CPU is the bottleneck (preventing their GPU from being fully utilized), and then still complain when the CPU is no longer a bottleneck allowing the GPU to be utilized fully ! :wink:

4 Likes

Exactly in the hot weather the things get worse, I do not remember last year, but during the winter it was fine. I already moved the “simulator” to another room (the main monitor is also a nightmare delivering heat, I have a small TV for the littlenavmap and the G1000 screen another one that gets too hot), I using the dehumidifier that also as a function of purifier to deliver some cool air when I’m playing…

My 2080ti runs at 88°C when at 100%. The NVIDIA software does under and overclocking automatically. The temperature is within NVIDIA spec.

Well that’s as maybe but it also throttles if it gets too hot. That temperature in task manager doesn’t measure its hotspot is all I’m saying.

If your GPU gets “too hot” (or rather, if you want to prevent thermal throttling), then your PC’s case airflow is what you need to focus on.

I agree but there are other solutions too, moving to Alaska for example :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

66/67 is VERY low not high lol
Fans are automatic and they turn off when the card is cool. Usually all fans stop spinning at ~50 degrees.

1 Like