High Manipulators thread usage when Audio device is set to "Default"

Thanks for confirming, will up vote this thread.
Although there is an increase, performance is still being limited by MainThread (as in vast majority of cases), so I don’t think FPS is being reduced because of this increase

1 Like

The manipulators thread runs on the main thread I believe. (there is certainly a correlation) and so I think it will affect performance.

2 Likes

Ok that would interesting, I have seen others report an increase in Main Thread load so it could be a possible explanation.
I am able to mitigate against this to some extent by upping resolution and V-Sync 30FPS

A little burry but yes there is a dramatic change in FPS. SU7 on the left and SU8 Beta on the right. Same scenario.

1 Like

I appreciate that this isnt exactly scientific but does demonstrate the affect of the manipulators thread on the mainthread.

I reduced LOD and settings to 10 /low and the render scale to remove any GFX related bottlenecks.

cessna:
cessnalowgfxSU8.PNG

DC6
dc6lowgfxSU8.PNG

1 Like

Yeah a 9ms increase in manipulators (approx), causing a 9ms increase in main thread.
Hopefully, this can be resolved in time for final release.
This will be all the more impactful (I assume) when people start using more complex study level aircraft.

Shot in the dark here - but if anyone is having reduced FPS - try changing the sound output channel to a named device, not the system default device.
I had 60fps before this update, 30 after the update - back to 60fps by changing the default to a specific device. (eg in my case the realtek)

43 Likes

I literally just read your thread about this, testing now

2 Likes

Wow!
With default sound device: 9ms

With selected sound device: 6ms

Thank you, so random :grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

You gave me back 15fps. Thank you

4 Likes

wow, nice find! working here as well

1 Like

VERY random - i’ve reported

3 Likes

Not seeing any difference with the sound option, it could be one of the causes but not the only one.

I’ve highlighted mhmaliniak response as a possible solution to FPS issues.

18 Likes

Thank you. Changed default sound devices and FPS is back.

Can confirm that the speakers fix, actually fixed it

I can also confirm that selecting a specific sound device brought the CPU performance back to how it was in SU7. Great find!

2 Likes

Thank goodness for this thread! Performance was way worse in VR and could tell something was up with my CPU graph in fpsVR. Back to normal after changing sound device from default. Thanks @mhmaliniak !!

5 Likes

Wish I had seen this thread before doing a full reinstall. With that said, it was mildly frustrating to see folks on Discord totally write off the performance issues as something in our heads and made up.

1 Like

Seems like every time someone points out an issue, members of the White Knight Club come out of the woodwork to defend the sim’s honour and either dismiss the issues or blame the end user for problems.

10 Likes