Historical tour of the world via Bonanza G36 - Looking for friends!

Hey everyone! I am beginning a tour around the world in a Beechcraft Bonanza G36.

I was looking for creative flight plans over Thanksgiving break and I stumbled upon this incredible topic created by @SvenZ

Seeing this, my plan is to fly around the world using his pathway as a general guide. I would love to fly with as many people as possible and hopefully make some friends along the way! Please let me know where you’re located and I will message you when I plan to fly through your area so maybe you can join me!

A little about me, I live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. My rig is an Alienware Aurora R9. It has an Intel Core i7-9700 CPU with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. I’ve been playing flight simulator for a few months now and have around 125 hours on my pilot profile so far. I would consider myself a very casual flier. I play flight simulator to relax and have fun after work so I mostly fly later in the afternoons and on the weekends.

I will be updating my progress including all the sights I see along the way, similar to @SvenZ
I love history and legends so expect detailed photo descriptions!

Today was the first leg of my tour. I wanted to start here in Myrtle Beach International and make my way down to Charleston and intercept the pathway @SvenZ took then go from there.

My flight plan

Myrtle Beach - KMYR
Georgetown - KGGE
Laurel Hill Farms - 2SC7
East Cooper - KLRO
Raven’s Run - SC65
Charleston Area
Charleston AFB/Intl - KCHS
Mount Holly - SC98
Berkeley County - KMKS
Lesesne - 6SC1

Getting ready for takeoff

First stop is Murrells Inlet. The marsh here was especially productive for pirates and the coves within provided great hiding places for those marauders. Pirates who became local legends include Edward Teach, also known as Blackbeard because of his coal black beard, and Drunken Jack who was left behind on an island with a huge stash of stolen rum (and died with a smile on his face).

blackbeard-portrait

Next stop is Huntington Beach and Atalaya Castle. The castle was built between 1931 and 1933 by Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington in the Moorish style of architecture. It served as their winter residence when Anna was diagnosed with tuberculosis. Atalaya means “watchtower” in Spanish.

archerannahuntington

Our third stop is Brookgreen Gardens which is situated behind Atalaya Castle. Brookgreen Gardens is a more than 9,000 acre nature preserve and sculpture garden. It was established by the Huntington’s in 1931 to showcase not just Anna’s art, but that of other contemporary sculptors. The 550 acre sculpture garden was the first of its kind in the United States and stands today as a state park and National Historic Site.

South of Huntington Beach is Pawleys Island, one of the oldest summer resort towns on the East Coast. The most famous legend in this tiny community is that of the Gray Man, a mysterious figure who warns of impending severe storms and hurricanes. The Gray Man has been seen before all the major hurricanes that have hit Pawleys Island for at least 200 years.

grayman

Next on our tour is the 16,000 acre research reserve, Hobcaw Barony. The Indigenous Americans called it “hobcaw” meaning between the waters. In 1718, the land became a colonial land grant or barony. Sold and subdivided into plantations, the land was part of profitable rice production until the beginning of the 20th century.

Georgetown. The third oldest town in the state of South Carolina is home to more than 250 historic homes in and around its town district (more than Charleston, in fact). Sixty of these homes are on the National Register of Historic Places. Local planters made Georgetown the wealthiest county in the 13 original colonies.

georgetownsc

Pit stop at the Georgetown County Airport KGGE

Built circa 1740, some 40 years before the American Revolutionary War, Hopsewee Plantation was one of the South’s major rice plantations and the birthplace of Thomas Lynch, Jr., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. The buildings are hard to see but they are on the river bank above the left wing.

The Santee Delta is part of the Carolinian South Atlantic UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. The Delta was once the location of an important section of the Rice Kingdom, and an enslaved labor force whose descendants have provided a lasting Gullah culture.

gullahgeechee

The Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge is a 66,287 acre National Wildlife Refuge. Most of the refuge is only accessible by boat and 29,000 acres are designated as Class I Wilderness.

Terns_on_Cape_Islandcaperomainecoastalforest

The Francis Marion National Forest is a 258,000 acre national forest located north of Charleston, South Carolina. It is named for revolutionary war hero Francis Marion, who was known to the British as the Swamp Fox. Marion’s nickname, the “Swamp Fox,” reportedly came from the infamous British officer Banastre Tarleton, who, unable to snare Marion, called him a “■■■■■■ old fox” and swore that “the devil himself could not catch him.” Marion’s small-scale hit-and-run tactics disrupted supply lines, intercepted communications, and hampered the enemy considerably.

general-francis-marion-coat-high-collar-19174088

Fort Moultrie is a series of fortifications on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, formerly named Fort Sullivan, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and nickname of South Carolina, as “The Palmetto State”. The fort was renamed for the U.S. patriot commander in the Battle of Sullivan’s Island, General William Moultrie. During British occupation, in 1780–1782, the fort was known as Fort Arbuthnot.

Fort Pinckney. Located on Shutes Folly, a small island about one mile off the Charleston shore in the harbor, the fort was built over the ruins of an older fortification called “Fort Pinckney”. The original log and earthen fort, named after the Revolutionary War hero Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, was built beginning in 1797 and was intended to protect the city from a possible naval attack when war with France seemed imminent. Completed in 1804, it saw no hostilities and was virtually destroyed by a severe hurricane in September of that year. A replacement brick-and-mortar structure called “Castle Pinckney” was erected in 1809–1810 and was garrisoned throughout the War of 1812, but it saw no action during the two-and-a-half-year conflict. Afterwards, Castle Pinckney was abandoned and fell into disrepair.

pinckney

The USS Yorktown was built in just 16 ½ months—a short time for a battleship of its size. Commissioned on April 15, 1943, the “Fighting Lady,” as she was called, participated in the Pacific Offensive, which resulted in an Allied victory over Japan in 1945. Sorry for the poor quality! Does anyone know how to fix this??

If you look at a map of downtown Charleston, you’ll notice that Marion Square is located nearly in the center of the peninsula, and some folks even describe it as Charleston’s own tiny Central Park. In the early days of this town, however, the site of Marion Square was located outside of Charleston, about one-third of a mile north of the town. The northern boundary of the original town plan, created around the year 1672, was a line across the peninsula marked today by what we call Beaufain and Hasell Streets. The site now known as Marion Square was a forest when Europeans began settling on the peninsula in the 1670s, and there was only one road, called the Broad Path, now King Street, that cut through the forest to connect the town with the countryside. Today the park serves a number of adjacent neighborhoods with a broad demographic. This space has a long history of public uses – it has been used as a military marching ground since before the revolutionary war and was the site of a celebratory parade by the city’s African-American residents after the Civil War.

On May 3, 1821, Bishop John England, the first Bishop of Charleston, purchased property on the northeast corner of Broad and Friend (now Legare) as a site for the cathedral. A “dwelling house” was on the lot, and on December 30, 1821, Bishop England blessed it as a temporary chapel for the congregation, and it was named in honor of St. Finbar, the patron saint of Cork, Ireland. The cornerstone was laid for the first cathedral at the present site on July 30, 1850. Called the Cathedral of St. John & St. Finbar, it was consecrated on April 6, 1854. This antebellum cathedral was able to seat 1,200 people and cost $103,000 to build. On December 11, 1861, a fire broke out in a factory on Hasell Street, destroying much of Charleston including the cathedral. Everything was lost. Fund-raising for a new cathedral continued for the next 45 years, and finally the cornerstone for the present Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was laid in January of 1890. The Gothic architecture calls for a spire, but due to lack of funds, it was never built. The lower church includes a crypt where Bishop England (with his sister, Joanna) and four other Charleston bishops are buried.

history_stjohn-1

Since its inception in 1842, The Military College of South Carolina, aka The Citadel has sought to prepare its graduates intellectually, physically and morally to be principled leaders and productive citizens in all walks of life. John Milton, in his Tractate on Education, described a complete education, one that prepares the individual to perform justly, skillfully, and magnanimously, in all offices both public and private, of peace and war.

thecitadel

Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site sits on a marshy point, located off the Ashley River near Charleston and preserves the original site of the first permanent English settlement in Carolina.

Taking off after a brief pit stop at Charleston AFB/Intl - KCHS

Coming in for a landing at Berkeley County Airport KMKS

The beautiful and scenic Lake Moultrie with Lake Marion in the background. The first area where striped bass became landlocked was documented to be in the Santee-Cooper River during the construction of the two dams that impounded Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion, and because of this, the state game fish of South Carolina is the striped bass.

Coming in for a landing at Lesesne Airport 6SC1. Kudos to @SvenZ for landing here, I had a very difficult time finding it :smiley:

First leg is a wrap! Thank you for reading. I will post the second leg soon!

Cheers

5 Likes

All the best of luck on your journey. It’s an incredibly enriching experience to explore the world this way, FS2020 plus all the information the internet has to offer.

Little navmap helps a lot to locate little airstrips, and sometimes looking ahead on Google maps to find it. Some are very faded in fs2020 (and some are not there at all). Yet landing at all the small airstrips is the most fun part.

A little warning, the Bonanza is not as stunt capable anymore as when I flew it around the world. The flight dynamics have been updated and now the wings will stall a lot sooner at high bank rate. Before I could do circles at 80 degree bank using the rudder to stay in ‘level’ flight. It doesn’t like that very much anymore :slight_smile:

Greet first leg, very interesting. I’ll be following along, although not from the air for now. (Taking a break from FS2020) Bon voyage!

1 Like

Thank you! You are absolutely correct. Flying from point to point had been getting stale for me. It’s a lot of fun looking up information on all the buildings and land features going by. Thank you for opening my eyes to a new and exciting way to fly!

I will check out littlenavmap. Do you recommend any more addons to aid in the journey?

That’s hilarious! I have no previous experience with the Bonanza to compare to but coming from the Cessna 172 I am really enjoying everything about it so far. The Bonanza certainly has that stunt plane feel to it! The short wing span definitely gives me the courage to try some sharp turns but the loud alarm quickly puts me back in place lol.

Thank you for your kind words and for posting all your flight plans. In my research I found a lot of direct paths around the world but none as thorough as yours. I really wanted that full tour of all the countries I plan on flying through. I hope to talk more with you soon! Cheers.

1 Like

More add-ons: Notepad, Paint Shop Pro, Coffee and a lot of patience. The sim runs a lot better now so you don’t need to keep an eye on memory use anymore. My instrument scan was mainly managing temps of my CPU/GPU and RAM management. The resource monitor was always up during flight and I had to reduce detail often to prevent the sim from allocating more and more ram. (old bug)

The upgrade to 32GB RAM brought me much relief (that was before the memory footprint was slashed in half by the XBox release) It took a long time to get that with the pandemic and chip shortages, but everything ran much better after that. Your PC looks more than capable, should have no issues.

Little navmap is great for tracking your flight. And you can easily right click on its map to copy the coordinates, which you can then paste into google maps. Instant info of where you are. There is also Bushtalk Radio:

That started when I was already near the end of my trip so I never used it myself. (Might give it a try when I get back to FS2020). It tracks your position and tells you things about where you are.

1 Like

Another addon: a comfy butt pad! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I downloaded Little Navmap and so far I am very impressed. Very intuitive and I especially like the flight plan elevation profile at the bottom! I also signed up for the bush talk radio and downloaded it but have yet to give it a try. I’ll keep you posted.

I have 16GB RAM. It works fine but I would eventually like to upgrade to 32GB just for peace of mind.

How did you go about planning your sights to see along the way? Did you just fly by interesting looking buildings and look them up on google or did you have a set pathway?

I mostly played the ‘traveling salesman’, stringing together as many airports as possible, covering as much ground as possible. Capitals were all a must visit, as well as major landmarks and PG areas. And everything marked with a star on the world map. I wrote down all the airports and ICAO codes to visit in order and then see how far I would get each day. I updated the list about once a week.

While flying (on autopilot mostly) I would be looking up where I was flying to or flying over. It was all about discovery, I didn’t do a lot of research beforehand, mostly after visiting. Only when I wasn’t certain which way to string airports together I would check out which path looked more promising for sights.

For Antarctica I checked out online resources to string a couple bases together, as well as for a few other places that don’t have an airport in game. Little navmap is very helpful for flying to coordinates as well, simply point the plane at where you want to go. (I don’t know how to enter GPS coordinates into the GPS…)

The 32GB was very helpful since I had tons of tabs open in Firefox, little navmap running, paint shop, and other stuff I was multitasking. There are a lot of empty stretches in the world, plenty time to do stuff while on a long journey to the next natural park or signs of civilization. And of course there are long flights over water as well. Alt-tab, check on progress, check the fuel and how the plane is performing, alt-tab back to work or research or updating the thread.

1 Like

Landed in Oconee County KCEU today. I really enjoy how Little Navmap has a dotted line that tracks your progress in real time. LNM coupled with my avionics really helps me find exactly where I need to land. The smaller airports were challenging today as there were 28kt winds tossing me around.

I find myself doing something very similar to you. I don’t think I am going to make very much progress at this rate if I am circling every town I come across learning about its history. I find it easiest to set the autopilot, switch between little navmap and google maps and pick out only the major attractions before I arrive. If I miss something at this point I don’t think I’ll be missing out as there is so much to see ahead of me.

How was your flight from Barter Island to Alert near the north pole? It seems you just barely made it and had to siphon the remaining gas from one side to the other? What would you recommend I do for that leg?

Also the flight you took in the beginning from Hopedale to Illulissat, Greenland. Was that mostly just about managing the ice? I am not seeing any airframe deicing capability. Should I just try my best to avoid clouds?

I’ve found this map to be a great resource for finding interesting places to fly that are depicted nicely in MSFS. Map of all Points of Interest, 3D Cities and Detailed Airports (w/ World Update #6 Germany, Austria, Switzerland)

1 Like

Very cool, this is going to save me a ton of time! Thank you so much @system0default !

Avoid icing, and clouds in general. Icing costs a lot of speed and fuel, clouds also slow you down. (just slightly, but every bit adds up)

I made the mistake of looking at distance remaining in little navmap which doesn’t account for the 6 gallons of fuel you can’t use. Hence I fell short on my first attempt to Alert. I could have easily made it by using a leaner mixture and fly slower. On my second attempt I got stuck with icing and used the ground effect to save fuel, flying low over the water.

The longest distance I made with the Bonanza was to Easter Island

I wrote down all the settings I used, speed, wind, air temperature and mileage. It’s a fun puzzle to extend the range, albeit a long slow one :slight_smile: 12 hour flight from San Felix to Easter Island!

Watch the air temperature and avoid clouds.

1 Like

That’s incredible! What a haul. I had a chance to check out all the photos last night. What a gorgeous evening after the clouds went away! I especially enjoyed where you stepped out for a bike ride and had some turbulence during your absence. :rofl:

I had a fun 4th leg tonight. Winds weren’t as bad today but the foggy haze was still there. Headed south to Augusta first then It cleared up as I headed west and got closer to Atlanta. There were so many people landing at Hartsfield-Jackson tonight it looked like fireflies all over the sky. I got some good screenshots. Nearly crashed into Mercedes Benz Stadium because I wasn’t watching my fuel and had completely run out on the left side while flying around downtown. I don’t expect that will be the last time that’s going to happen on this journey!

1 Like

Sorry to say that I’ve been missing in action on my historical tour. I recently received an Oculus Quest 2 as a Christmas bonus gift and I’ve been getting everything dialed in on VR mode lately. I have to say that if you get a chance you need to try a VR headset on msfs2020 sometime! It’s totally worth coming out of hibernation for. The FPS are a bit lower but it’s absolutely incredible. You really get a sense for how small the cockpit of the Bonanza is and it’s been a lot of fun manipulating the controls “by hand”. I was flying in Bali the other day and looking out the window you could see the massive volcanos going by. It’s really changed the flight simulator experience entirely for me. I highly recommend it! Hope you are doing well. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi! Usually when do you fly? (Which timezone ^^)

I am planning to start a world tour and it could be fun to fly together or at least have someone to chat with during the flight.

Anyway I love your posts. Really nice to share all these details about your flights.

Cheers,
Cam

1 Like

Hey @camsolan33 ! Thank you so much for the kind words. I live in South Carolina so I am in EST. I am typically flying after work so I’m on in the later afternoons/evenings and weekends. What about you??

That’s great you are going to start a world tour!
Any ideas on where you’d like to start? I am currently on two world tours, one is this historical world tour i’m doing which I am currently in Macon,GA heading south to Tallahassee, FL. The other I started when I first bought Microsoft flight simulator and so far I’ve travelled around 8,000nm and I am just south of Taipei, Taiwan heading to Manila, Philippines.

If our schedules can work out I’d love to join you or you’re more than welcome to tag along on either of mine. We can voice chat over discord if you’re cool with that?? Let me know! Cheers

I switch to MP so that we can organize ourselves :slight_smile: