Historically important aircraft - Sikorsky S-38 news!

Igor Sikorsky made a number of vital contributions to aviation over the course of several decades of invention and innovation. Among those were his flying boats. This post is intended to possibly draw the attention of those at MSFS / Asobo who have discussed adding historically significant aircraft to this flight sim as part of the future development roadmap. That said - any of Sikorsky’s designs would be welcome no matter who they are made by.

2 Likes

Howard Hughes I believe had a prototype as well i believe. Would be kinda fun flying around Los Angeles with some 1940s swing music playing sipping on champagne pretending you’re getting flirty with Katherine Hepburn…

I…may have watched The Aviator recently…

2 Likes

show me all the blueprints…

he owned the types S-38 and S-43 as pictured above

we can’t ignore the iconic Sikorsky helicopters can we…

the man, the myth, and the Legend
Sikorsky VS-300 early flight tests, 1940 - Vertical Flight Photo Gallery (vtol.org)

Microsoft/Asobo should reach out to Kermit Weeks at Fantasy of Flight. No doubt many of us know his channel on Youtube, and he’s always looking for ways to leverage his collection. How many of us have followed that WACO flight?

2 Likes

I just leave this here…

11 Likes

What is THAT?

1 Like

It marks the beginning of the development of the Sikorsky S-38 for MSFS. I’m aiming for release for Q4 2022.

5 Likes

I have really fond memories of the S-38 exhibit at the EAA museum at Oshkosh. You could go inside, and it had seats with a black and white movie up front where you did a virtual first person flight with the pilots up the Amazon looking for carnauba wax. They’ve since changed it to a (not first person) film about restoring the aircraft. I can’t find the original film online, but it would be cool to see again. I’d love to see the aircraft for Flight Simulator to recreate that expedition though!

1 Like

The S-38 couldn’t be in better hands, Vitus!
This is very good news

2 Likes

When I started reading this topic you were the first developer I thought of for a project like this!

1 Like

New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks at Bradley Airport has one, too, I believe.

1 Like

They actually have the smaller sister - the S-39. Similar design, but powered by just one engine and with a smaller fuselage.
Afaik there’s no survivors of the S-38! Both the “Osa’s Ark” and the “Carnauba” are replicas.

2 Likes

Vitus Hello-
Have you any update on this project ?

Actually tagging @GMVitus to make sure he sees this. :slight_smile: Hope all’s going well with you, and we’d love an update! (And if that update is “life has been busy, it’s still in the construction hangar,” that’s cool too!)

As a lover of seaplanes, I am super excited to see this take shape.

1 Like

I built an RC S-38 back in my radio control days. Did it up like the zebra pattern. It was my favourite of everything I built! Would I love to see this in the sim!

2 Likes

Doesn’t look so good. The last post by the developer is more than 1 year. :confused: