Honeycomb Alpha Clamps

Hey.

I have a bit of an issue with the clamps for the Honeycomb Alpha. Long story short, they’re not deep enough to accommodate the table to which I attach the yoke. I’m left with the 3M suction pad which, whilst OK, is not bulletproof. It already keeps coming loose and I’ve only had it for a week or so. It clearly isn’t a long term solution. I also have nowhere else I can mount the yoke and don’t wish to buy a new table.

Has anyone found anywhere that sells deeper clamps that are suitable for this yoke, or would it be a case of having to source someone to custom make them?

Many thanks.

3 Likes

What do you mean? Do you need to push the yoke further back onto the table?

Maybe a picture would help

The clamps that come with the yoke are only deep enough to fit a table/desk with a certain cross sectional depth.

I’d say my table is about a cm deeper than the clamps are made to fit, so I cannot attach the thing using the clamps.

Without the clamps as an option I’m only left with the suction pad, that inevitably isn’t strong enough. It seemingly can’t cope with being attached and un-attached repeatedly.

no, sounds as though the desktop is too thick. The mounts only enable so much!

1 Like

Exactly that. They’re surprisingly small for a product like this.

My table is 5cm / 2inches deep. I’d say the clamps would only fit a table no more than 4cm deep. That’s the issue.

Of course, not everyone mounts this on a PC style desk.

There is a third mounting option: The base has four mounting holes.

@EnoughBard39362 Hi, i had the same problem that the clamps didn’t fit my table. So i screwed my Alpha and Bravo base plate on a separate wooden board (about 25cm deep and 100cm long and 1cm in height) through the mounting holes. Then i attached the board with standard screw clamps i got from a hardware store to my table. The cool thing is that i now only have to loosen those two standard clamps and can remove the whole “Honeycomb Alpha Bravo board” at once from my table if i don’t need it :slight_smile:

Cheers, Tom

2 Likes

That’s a good idea! That may well have to be the road I go down I think as I can’t see this suction pad lasting more than a couple of months tops.

And you don’t hit the clamps with your knees. I would consider this construction for that reason alone.

Good point. Looks like that and a fresh board maybe the way to go.

Not sure the Mrs would be too happy with me drilling into the oak dining table :laughing:

I heard from honeycomb support that they are releasing larger clamps in the near future to support a thicker mount option. Stand by they are coming.

"Hi

We are hoping to have XL size clamps for sale om our website soon.

Best Regards.

Dave Jary Honeycomb Support”

2 Likes

@EnoughBard39362 for sure i used a fresh board to screw the mounting plates of the Alpha and Bravo on :slight_smile: This way i can remove the whole board with tha Alpha and Bravo on it when i don’t use it.

@Kriebie8731 I used a pretty wide board (100cm) so I’m able to attach the hardware store clamps on the most outside point of the wooden board. This way i have around 95cm space for my legs :slight_smile:

I also used some bigger clamps. This way they reach deeper into the wooden board and hold way better then the original clamps.

Hope my description isn’t confusing :slight_smile: for my excuse I’m not a native english speaker.

Cheers, Tom

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies.

Last night I had another look at the clamps and was able to remove the circular part on each one, meaning I could just slip them past the lip of the table.

Once they were reassembled on the other side of the lip it’s actually allowed me to use them, albeit with a bit of faff. I’ll definitely look to purchase the bigger ones when they go on sale. Having the thing rock steady is a much better experience!

Cheers :+1:t2::relaxed:

1 Like

AND a happier wife!

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth. It was a tough sell in the first place putting it where it is :laughing:

ha! good one

Don’t know what your native language is, but your English is better than my Spanish and I grew up speaking it as well as English. I could never make that description in Spanish. :blush:

1 Like

Great news! I’ve been searching all over the Internet for bigger clamps that might fit into my 5cm desk, but I couldn’t find anything that would be remotely compatible. Drilling the desk would be the last thing I’d want to do. So at least there’s some light at the end of the tunnel.

The 3M suction surfaces do a good job but they’re not fit for frequent removals. After only 5-10 removals of my Alpha and Bravo, one of the suction surfaces is ready to disintegrate as it’s bloated in places and looks far from normal compared to the other.

Mine is similar, exactly 5cm. However the mounting plate itself is a few millimetres thick at its end where the clamps fit, so that adds up to the overall thickness that needs to be covered by the clamps. I’d say a clamp needs to have at least 56mm of space and also to be about 30-32mm wide and perhaps 5mm tall or so. Sadly the ones provided by Honeycomb won’t fit my desk for literally 1-2mm.

May I please ask how did you do that? I was thinking the same thing myself, to use a heatgun to remove the adhesive surface from the circular part and then see if there’s a screw underneath, so that I can remove it and gain the 1-2mm I’m short of (there’s a good chance I won’t even have to unscrew anything and that by simply remove the black adhesive thing it’ll do the trick). I’ll hopefully try that tonight. All I’m looking for at the moment is a quick and dirty solution so that I won’t have to drill holes to the desk or consider doing DIY stuff.

Nothing that technical you’ll be pleased to hear. I thought ‘what the hell’ because they were useless to me otherwise. Essentially I unscrewed them until they got to the stop, then kept going. I didn’t have to go far before they popped off.

I’m pretty sure they’re designed to do it, because they just go back on and stay there. Using that method I’ve been able to clamp the yoke and the difference is night and day.

Best of luck with it. If you’re only short by that much, as I was, then it should work :pray:t2:

2 Likes