Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant arrived today, need to configure settings out of box

I’ve spent a ton of time over the last two days working to configure the Bravo Throttle to actually be useful in FS2020 with my Alpha yoke. There are numerous issues out of the box due to a mix of poor default configurations from Microsoft and known bugs with the controls that haven’t been fixed since launch.

My focus was on getting it working for GA aircraft, mostly the TBM930 but also the Cessna 172 G1000. All the below should apply to jets too though.

1. Just like with the Alpha yoke you have to unmap every switch (including the gear up/down handle) if you want to change in 100’/1 degree increments for the AP controls. If you actually want to use the switches then you need to use the vJoy and Joystick gremlin hack described here. This does work but it’s tedious and requires a lot of cross-referencing to the original profile so you know what control names get used. Note that FS2020 does not handle two different vJoys so you need to create a single vJoy with 100 or so buttons and map both the Alpha and the Bravo switches to the same vJoy device (I used Bravo button number + 20 for the button positions on the vJoy).

2. Even with the above there are some lights that fundamentally can’t be controlled due to FS2020 bugs and (as well documented elsewhere) things like the inertial separator on the TBM930 just aren’t accessible.

3. You have to unmap any prior throttle mappings you might have on other devices. In my case I had throttle control mapped to one of the buttons on my Alpha yoke and that caused all sorts of problems.

4. The default auto-pilot mappings for the left selector knob are trash. Like seriously “did the person who created this profile ever actually try using it with the game” trash. Unmap all of them and start over so it looks like this. Basically you need to set the increment/decrement for each AP feature to be a button combo of the left switch position and either left or right rotation of the right knob.

Once all of this is done you actually get something that works and is great fun to fly. For the first time playing FS2020 I was actually able to trim an aircraft: the rotating wheel is wonderful, and combined with the vJoy/Joystick Gremlin hack it increments in 1 step instead of 10 steps so I can really dial the trim in. Throttle is super fun to use too, and I’ve even mapped the “Go Around” button to activate FLC and HDG mode on the auto-pilot.

I still haven’t got the parking brake wired up to a switch yet, need to figure out if there is a way to do that and still be able to set in 100/10 increments while on the ground. I also haven’t figured out how to set the OBS1 CRS value using the AP controls (just doesn’t seem to work despite being configured in settings). Also none of the lights on the Bravo do anything (known issue).

I would be happy to share my configs for the Alpha, Bravo, and vJoy devices in FS2020 so other people don’t have to spend all the time setting this up too.

Oh wait. I can’t. Because you can’t import/export control settings in FS2020.

9 Likes