Horrible performance

Probably badly optimized photogrammetry. There is always a tradeoff between visual quality and the number of polygons used. That balance might be off in Atlanta (just like it is in London).

3 Likes

I think with Atlanta that the photogrammetry extends well beyond the urban areas and that a lot of it is then covered with tree’s.

Area of Massachusetts outside Boston is the same.

I hope that one day they do another sweep of the US with the photogrammetry and do some optimization.

1 Like

Yep… any time I’m near Atlanta, it’s like I’m slogging through deep mud. I try to avoid that area.

1 Like

Some posts regarding ATL in a separate thread were merged into this one for similarity of content.

As long as I fly at times with servers not hitting full loads, I get smooth full Ultra. LOD 7 terrain and Objects.

It’s wasn’t just atl. The video I posted was from Kbdl and it was the same thing I’ve since flown a flew since then and it seems anytime wheres weather I have that issue.

I have the same setup as you and get ~30-40 fps regularly. Check your graphics settings. You probably have the sim set too ambitiously.

What bogs my system down is photogrammetry forests. Every time I’m in a PG area that’s mainly forest, my fps tanks below 5 after a while. The game draws auto gen trees on top of all the PG data tree outlines, creating a dense forest.

I have no performance issues in NY, which looks far more busy and is also a lot more data (looking at how much gets streamed). When I’m approaching a big city from a PG forest, fps recovers in the much more complex city.

Today it happened at the Worcester PG Area 42°15’55"N 71°47’49"W, however in Boston it was all fine. Setting tree quality to low helps a bit (trees are there anyway, just darker green from PG data) but not as much as flying through the city helps.

Solution, get rid of forests. Start cutting down those pesky trees!

My issue is with my high end system is I can crank the settings way up at 4K a lot of the time. But then I go somewhere that hits the system real bad and I stumble to a crawl. And it’s hard to find a satisfying middle ground. I just wish you could set a max, target and minimum fps, and MSFS would do a good job of adjusting scenery complexity to keep the performance consistent and still have the nice settings elsewhere. Or hell, give me hot keys for settings presets! Or even just let me save some render presets!!! Having to go in there and adjust several settings all the time is just frustrating.

That’s just basic. If you won’t rename your Community folder at least once when starting to debug an issue you are setting yourself up for failure. Why help someone who won’t help themselves. But having to spend time finding the add on causing problems is a huge pain in the rear. It would be great if there was a good interface to see what add ons are using what resources or causing crashes/freezes and to unload/load them without restarting the whole program. Hopefully a Microsoft hosted source of community add ons will weed out the problematic ones.

But the add ons are half the fun! Most of the default planes I’ve never flown because they are so boring and I have no interest in them! And I do get the sense that simply having a lot of perfectly good add ons does impact performance even if you are only flying one aircraft out of the dozens and 90% of your scenery add ons are not in visual distance or simply the other side of the planet. That does impact the sims start up and seems like it impacts flight start and end. I strongly suspect there’s some better ways for the sim to deal with add ons that doesn’t cause so much overhead.

I end up moving things in and out of the Community folder all the time to ensure things don’t get slowed down. I guess I got to get that add on linker.

1 Like

You forgot to add: “rant over” :love_you_gesture: Hope you feel better now. Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.