Horrible performance

taking off from KATL and these are the numbers I’m getting. crappy frames and high CPU and memory usages. Keep in mind I have a 3080, i7 9700K and 32gb of Ram and a fresh install of the sim. I haven’t really played in a couple months due to the bad performances and I thought it would have been updated by now but this is ridiculous.

3 Likes

What does “crappy frames” mean? An actual figure might be nice.

You have a good graphics card, but could the cpu be a bottleneck?
Just a thought. I presume you have a good PSU too?

One thing to look forward to though… the performance update on July 27th.

Regards
Steve

As in less than 10 FPS its unplayable. As far as my CPU bottlenecking it shouldn’t be and I have a 850 watt psu. Well I guess ill just have to wait until july 27th then.

CPU AMD 3900X abd same problemes

1 Like

Yea out of the blue I was getting poorer performance too. Flying same route i usually get 45fps, I was down to 25fps. Weird thing is it was fine on the flight there, but on way back the fps suddenly dipped and never recovered. I had to shut sim down and haven’t tried it since. Not had this issue before

1 Like

Less than 10fps? I see what you mean. Your psu is fine.
I’d make sure Windows is up to date, plus drivers etc.

Let’s hope it improves on the 27th

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Same here. All of a sudden frames started to drop by 10 fps for me and a friend. Do you use Toolbar Pushback mod? If you do there was an update to fix a frame drop issue.

1 Like

Do a search and you’ll find KATL is part of the problem. Atlanta has been tagged as a performance blackhole judging by the recent posts. There are a few airports, and areas like this - KLAX is one, and some of the huge bespoke EU airports like De Gaulle.

3 Likes

It’s not the sim, it’s an issue with the configuration of your system.
You should be playing at 45 fps minimum with your system. But you told nothing about the options you set.

Here is what I would do: empty your Community folder, and set the options to the HIGH general setting instead of ULTRA, then set the development option, then start the game. In one of the menus, you can display the CPU/GPU usage on screen on the top right, take a screenshot and post it here.

1 Like

I don’t use that mod or any mods for that matter.

Out of curiosity I thought I’d take a look at KATL myself. I’m running a I9-10900k and an RTX 2080 TI.
I took off in a Bell 47G in VR with a Reverb G2

To my surprise, it was absolutely fine. A couple of micro stutters during my 7 minute flight but apart from that, nothing.
Most of my settings are on ultra, but i have rendering Scale on just 70 (as I find that to be the biggest FPS killer)
Unfortunately I don’t know what the actual FPS was (I haven’t found a way to check in VR) but it was pretty smooth.

Regards
Steve

I find it quite funny when you mention someone’s performance might be caused by a bottle neck they completely deny it like someone on another post who is having stutter problems, driving an RTX 3080 TI with a 3 generation old i7.

1 Like

I just tested, and on an old i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz, a GTX1070 and 32 Gb, I get between 19 and 25 fps in 1440p, everything in HIGH quality, scale 100, LOD 100.
So there is definitely a problem with initial poster’s config.

3 Likes

Don’t waste your time doing any of this, @Karefn.

4 Likes

I just tried another flight and had the same issue but this time it was at KBDL. the only thing I can think of that would be an issue is the live weather. at both locations it was raining. I took from key west no issues there, then I flew over the storms that are going on the east coast no issues. started my decent and I was fine until I got below 5000ft then my frames dropped down to 5 fps. I tried to change the weather to clear skies but it didn’t make a difference idk if it was just too late at that point.
here’s a link of a quick video i tried to record.

2 Likes

Says msfs is using 22gb ram out of 32gb. So other stuff thats open is using up 8gb-9gb. Close unnecessary programs.

The 91% of RAM usage indicates memory starvation. What happens at about 60% of RAM usage is that Windows starts moving memory pages around to make room for MSFS to put additional files into memory. Windows memory management can be very expensive taking away 10 to 20 FPS from MSFS. Also there are a lot of detailed graphics objects in and around Atlanta that demand additional processing power. You can try tweaking various graphics parameters. I don’t know of there are any specific parameters for memory.

You should be able to find the right settings to have great FPS. I fly around Atlanta almost every day and get average 25 to 30 FPS @ 4k with very little stuttering. My configuration is a Ryzen 9 3900x, GeForce RTX 2080ti, 32GB @ 3000Mhz, 1Tb SSD. RAM usage usually is around 45 to 55%

BTW there is an optional Windows update that may help you. Here is a link for additional info: Windows Optioanl Update KB5003690

1 Like

I get this at KATL, not great, but not crippling either and very playable considering I’m using a gaming laptop with 2.2 ghz CPU and GTX 1060

I’m rendering at 1620p, high settings, terrain 100, object 150. I get 45 fps at high altitude, but this is fine for a big airport. I do have Ground Aircraft Density set to 10 (pandemic style) since all those parked planes cause the biggest slowdown.

Still 23GB allocated by FS2020 is no joke, but that should be addressed in the next update.

I also disabled memory compression to save a few frame (MMAgent). No use wasting time compressing and decompressing memory all the time to save a few 100 MB at most.

2 Likes

What’s that ? disabling memory compression ? where is that option ? can you explain ?

I’ve 16GB Ram, it takes 6-11GB. MSFS takes all it can get over cities… unless you have 64GB or more.

Here are some things to do to get rid of the extra work
Memory Compression in Windows 10 | High CPU Usage [SOLVED] (silicophilic.com)

But I think this is sufficient

Open Windows Powershell (type powershell in the search box) and enter this command
Disable-MMAgent -mc
Disable-MMAgent (MMAgent) | Microsoft Docs

To see if it works, you should no longer have and compressed memory visible in the memory pane of task manager, where it says In Use (Compressed)

FS2020 doesn’t take all it can get but it does take a lot. I’m usually at around 20GB ram allocated over cities and still have 10GB free. It used to take the same amount when I had 16GB ram, causing heavy pagefile use and a lot of stuttering.

There is also a memory bug still present in FS2020 where the sim can fall behind and keep allocating more and more memory working on more and more tiles, including those that are out of range already. I’ve seen memory use go up to 41GB before it gave up and crashed. Although at 30GB in use my fps is already so compromised I have to pause, set terrain detail to 10 and let it recover. (Slowly falls back to between 14 and 16GB in use, then terrain detail back to 100)

1 Like