Horrible performance

Folks, the Asobo folks admit there’s horrible performance issues in the current software. They proved that by showing their fix that looks very promising.

I have a 5900x, 3080, PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD, fresh install of Windows and MSFS and generally the performance is great, but there are times when it drops into the low teens. One of those times is landing at a dense airport when you really want it smooth. That’s without live weather, live traffic or multiplayer on. Those drop my FPS even more.

The level of denial some people are in that this sim up to now can choke up the best hardware you can throw at it is hilarious. Just because it’s working to your desires and expectations doesn’t mean everyone has the same experience and it doesn’t mean anyone is “doing it wrong”.

It’s going to be a long month until the SU5 optimizations are out!!! I really hope the code will finally do my many, many thousands invested in top notch hardware justice! SO sick of changing settings to get the best quality in the natural areas and reasonable performance over dense urban areas and big airports!!! And no way to save custom setting profiles?? Unreal they never thought to add that.

I mean, sure, this software is a bloody miracle! It’s stunning!!! But the insistence that it’s perfect by some people is just hilarious.

5 Likes

yea i closed all my that besides the stuff i needed. but even still ive never had performance dropped to the point where its just stuttering. This has happened at 2 different airports, a large one and a small-med one so this is something going on with the sim its self

1 Like

Get Asus GPU Tweak 3 This allows you to set your card up for gaming etc. GPU TWEAK III (asus.com)

There are so many variables in this game that even the same user with the same hardware and config can (and will) experience different performance even flying through the same area.

Weather can have an impact on FPS for sure. (Clouds carry a processing cost that clear skies don’t)
A lot of the scenery assets are streamed live so server load and which server you are connected to at the time is also going to have an impact.

In addition to which some areas have really poor performance anyway. Atlanta is one of these.

To those who’s performance tanks in a certain area I might suggest turning off photogrammetry and trying it again. But for it to be a properly controlled test you also need to run it with a preset weather/time of day to reduce cloud and shadow as variables and at the end of the day if all we ever do I run performance tests we are no longer actually playing the game.

2 Likes

You should do what I said and not listen to newtestleper984 else noone can help you.
Why did I ask you to run everything in HIGH quality ? Because I am near 100% certain your PC can handle it fine everywhere if it is correctly setup.

It is very clear to me you have an issue with your system and it will not go away if you don’t find out why. Worse, it may affect other games as well. Once you’ve figured out what was wrong, you can increase your settings one by one until you have a satisfactory balance between image quality and framerate.
THAT is how it should be done.

I’d be interest to know how you came up with that very precise figure? Why not 46fps?

4 Likes

Everything is on high and it didn’t make a difference. I’m assuming it has something to do with the clouds because as soon as I fly through them my performance just tanks

Turn off all traffic.
That gave me a very stable boost.

1 Like

Lol. All your suggestion in the tread will most likely be completely useless come July 27th. And they are of dubious use now.

Traffic is a FPS killer. Unless you specifically need it for the flight you are taking, definitely turn it off. It’s not worth the fps loss just to see other aircraft around. Many of which are incorrect representations of the aircraft anywhere. Supersonic Bonanzas??? Hilarious.

2 Likes

I know I may get abuse for this comment…but I definitely think there has been a serious performance degradation since the last update. I only ever suffered bad stuttering when landing at busy airports with live traffic etc on…now I get stuttering at most airports with everything turned off. I have a high end machine (rtx 3080, 5800x 32gb ram etc).

Some sceptics could say that this has been done deliberately, so that the perf increase expected on the 27th will have a greater impact on peoples perceptions…(not that I am saying that myself ;))

That points to the direction of your internet connexion being the weak link. With a good connexion, I suffer no issues with traffic, like most other players. In fact I regularly participate to group flights with no issues at all. Ask those who participated to this week-end’s Paris-Dakar race, there were well over 100 participants, probably several hundred.

Absolutely not. Please refrain from posting if you are not willing to help.

1 Like

Well, first it was the airport, now it’s the clouds ? Which is which ? As I said, there are so many parameters and sources of stutters that noone can help you seriously if you don’t give hard figures, and for that, you would have to do what I said.

It can be the internet connexion that is laggy, it can be memory that is lacking and now the game is swapping, it can be the hard disk cache that is lagging, it can be some programs in the background interfering, it can also be your joystick which has faulty USB and sometimes just unplugging and replugging it can help. Many completely different causes and without precise information, it’s impossible to know. All I’m saying is your config should be able to handle the game just fine.

edit: as someone said before, in your first screenshot, the 91% memory full seems to indicate you are close to swapping. You need to close programs in the background, especially your web browser which is likely to use lots of RAM.

Or the game is poorly made. I have no issues with any other games on my pc except this one. And during that time it was using 22gb of ram I’ve never seen it use that much before. This a fairly new pc most of the parts are less that 6 months old so I know it’s not my hardware.

just because your sim is good doesn’t mean that’s it is for everyone not every pc is the same. They know they had lots of work to do.

Dude, I’ve been playing the game since the first day it went public. What you and a couple others here are saying are definitely not news to me. I’m VERYYYYY WELLLLL aware that every case is different and that there are issues with the sim. In fact I regularly report bugs. But your FPS drops are far worse than what should happen with your system, it’s completely unusual. Having a FPS framerate of 20-30 above the most complex airports is common with the current version of MSFS, but 5 fps, it’s not. Those who tell the contrary are in denial and probably have problems of their own that they didn’t bother to debug and blame the game for those. I can guarantee that they will continue to blame the game after the performance update, because they’ll realize that the upcoming performance patch didn’t resolve their core issue, and I can guarantee that it will NOT solve your problem.

Now if you are not willing to put that effort, we simply cannot help,

I’ve never said it was your hardware. In fact I’ve said the exact opposite. I even wrote: “All I’m saying is your config should be able to handle the game just fine.” What do you think that means ?

It’s most likely a SOFTWARE problem, or perhaps a connexion problem, but for me there are many possible causes before blaming the sim itself.
But you don’t seem very keen on resolving your problem, so I’m out.

It is poorly designed. It allows anyone with a 4k monitor and a low spec PC to configure ULTRA graphics. If this configuration and graphics settings can only display 10 FPS or lower, it is definitely poor software design, not hardware. If the system is too small to deliver ULTRA graphics, then the code needs to be fixed. Or the user should be locked out of the ULTRA settings and probably HIGH as well. Instead users are experiencing unreasonable FPS, stutters, and random CTDs.

1 Like

Have you heard of Crysis?