How can this be so bad!? Constant CTD's after latest update

I spent nearly $3000 building up a brand new PC for MSFS… i9 10900k, 32gb ram, best mobo I could afford, new CPU cooler, new SSD M.2, carried over my 2080ti only as no 3080’s available anywhere but still its a very capable card…
Fresh Windows 10 & MSFS installs on the new super fast SSD.

This should NOT be happening, there is literally NO excuses for this.
After waiting so long for this bloody game to arrive and this is the best these guys can do!?

I’'m at an absolute loss here… what do I do? How do I fix this? Will they fix this?
And after paying top dollar for the absolute premium edition I’m now thinking I want my money back. Its just not worth it. This is an absolute joke.

I may as well just go back to X-Plane11… might not be as flashy looking but at least it bloody well runs!

5 Likes

Oh oh someone is going to get their topic closed.

I haven’t had any CTD’s after update and I’ve flown 787 and a320 several times. Did you restart sim and pc after update? How fast is your internet at the moment?

5 Likes

What makes you think it is the games fault?
You say nothing about what you’ve done with your machine or what troubleshooting steps you did or even if you followed any of the advice about resolving crashes from the KB.

If it can never crash once ever for me and the vast majority then it can not-crash for you too. And I did nothing special.

And before you say “I just installed and didn’t change anything”. Make sure that is true. If I had a dollar for everytime someone has said that to me in the field then I show them something they did change Id’ be rich. They then go “oh, except… I didn’t think you meant that”.

Besides the lots of doco Asobo provide, here’s mine: So your having issues running or updating MSFS?

9 Likes

I figured it may have had stability issues on my previous build which is why I built this new pc. Everything here is now fresh! Fresh hardware, fresh OS, fresh MSFS install.
I can’t even blame my original Win10 install USB as I bought a new copy!
The PC is not overclocked. I have done stress and stability checks, I don’t run a lot of other games etc but no other game on my new pc let alone my old build crashes like this!
So you tell me where I am going wrong?

Can you explain what you’re doing when it crashes? At the menu? Taking off? Cruising? Landing? All of the above?

As I said to another user, your post is like you going to a doctor and saying “I’m ill” and expecting him to know why. Details are important if you want to get the best help.

2 Likes

What monitor are you driving with that 2080 ?
New ram too? Did you run a memory test?

Short story; 2 days before the previous patch I installed 2 sticks of new ram. Went from 4x4gb to 2x16gb.
Fired up the pc and played WOT for a couple hrs and generally goofed around for two days, not touching MSFS. All was fine, no signs of errors or general wierdness :slight_smile: Didn’t test the new ram as it worked fine, plus I’ve never had bad luck with any ram…lucky I guess.
-Patch day and install… CTD’s, Hangs and BSOD’s that I’ve never seen before and that’s going back to early DOS.
-Tried everything I could think of plus reinstall msfs. Gotta be MSFS, right!
-After 2 days, finally realized only things I touched were ram and patch…guess what?
Bad ram…! 1st time ever for me…figures:-(

Go through the above few linked ideas/suggestions and then turn down your settings to high as a start point.
It could just be bad install. Huge compressed files download and unpacked makes room for errors
( not yours or mine ).

10 of thousands of users (probably 100’s of… ) with no issues other than the known’s and no CTD’s.
Myself included. But I feel your pain…honestly!

2 Likes

CPU appx $500
32Gb 3600mhz ram $150
Whatever your mobo cost, $250 is a reasonable sum
Top of the line CPU cooler $100
1tb NVME drive $150
All in $1150

Apart from buying a new copy of Win10 which is peanuts these days, what did you spend the other $1850 on for your $3000 upgrade? :thinking:

As a side note, I did pretty much the same thing pre launch but with an AMD system that cost $1050 with a high airflow case as well, and not had one CTD from initial download and install.

5 Likes

Yeah tested ram, stress testing the system with Prime95 for over 24hours without an issue gives me the impression the system is stable.

Costs of the pc parts are in Australian, dollars…
Cpu was 999, mobo was 899, cooler was 400, ram was 500… we pay loads more for everything down here.

It crashes all over the place… when loading the flight, taxing to runway, flying for 5 minutes, flying for 1 hour, when going back to the main menu… its very inconsistent.

I honestly don’t know where to begin in trying to figure this out. Im totally bummed out by it.

So before I get attacked for pointing the blame at the sim, can you see it from my point of view especially after spending all this money on pc parts on top of the $179 for the top bundle… yeah im not happy.

Windows 10 home was $225

Latest nvidia drivers, what resolution and fps are you running, do you keep an eye on your GPU temps?

This sounds a lot like overheating to me.

The game is pretty stable. Always has been since the beginning. There are a few airports that will cause a CTD when flying near it, but there’s only a few (and when reported they get fixed)

Are you getting event log entries for each crash? Are there any patterns to the faulting module or error code? If so, if you post them here we can take a look or perhaps search in case someone else had a similar issue.

I’ll have a look and post them if i have.

Years ago I had a faulty power supply that was causing havoc with my pc; BSOD every couple of day.

Took me 2 months swapping in an out parts trying to find a source when eventually the only thing I hadn’t swapped was the PSU; swapped that out and bingo, that was the ■■■■■■■ causing my woes.

My computer guy even bench tested the PSU and it looked like all the rails were in spec BUT it definitely was the PSU

1 Like

What on earth is “Bad RAM” and how do you identify if it is “Bad”?

Have a look here.

RAM can have problems, flaws, etc… mostly because of manufacturing issues. Tricky things.

2 Likes

Thanks ran tests and no issues

Honestly, to me this all points to some sort of hardware issue. If it was a MS issue I think that there would be loads of people complaining.

• As ‘GruesomeEight66’ has already mentioned above a faulty/underpowered/substandard Power Supply can often cause CTDs. I really wouldn’t discount this. Your CPU and 2080 ti will need a pretty beefy gold standard PSU in my opinion. Also what is the wattage? Given your set up I would recommend at least 750 w.

• What sort of cooling do you have. These intel CPUs can generate a fair amount of heat and personally I would only opt for water cooling. Have you monitored the CPU/GPU heat generated and is it within acceptable ranges? Is the case overly warm? Is there adequate airflow?

• Have you overclocked your GPU/CPU and if so is it a stable/reliable stress tested over clock? (okay, sorry, just seen that your PC not O/C)

• being a newly built PC have you made sure that all the cables/RAM modules/GPU connections are firmly in place?

• is the heat sink on the CPU okay/ of adequate quality?

• you also have a new motherboard. This is running your whole PC. Have you tested whether this is okay too and that you haven’t been sent a dud one?

• are you using the correct BIOS?

• I know you said that you don’t really run many other games but MSFS2020 is very demanding and intensive and I wonder what your experience would be with similar intensive software. I think you mentioned X-Plane 11. Have you installed that too and if so does your PC run that too over a longish period of a couple of hours? That would be interesting as that sim also works a PC hard also.

Just a few things that I would look at in your situation FWIW.

Best of luck. Hope you get it sorted.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think those pointing to hardware issues are barking up the wrong tree.

I’ve had a few CTDs on an otherwise completely stable desktop PC - Prime95 24 hours stable, HCI Memtest 6-700% stable, no other games/tasks crash… ever.

I emailed Zendesk about the CTDs and they recommended I install the US Voice pack, which wasn’t installed. I have done this, but haven’t had chance to test it out yet. Maybe try that if you haven’t already.

I have MSFS installed on a gaming laptop too, which FWIW has not suffered any CTDs yet. The US Voice pack is installed on that, so hopefully it will turn out to be a magical fix for my desktop PC.

Instructions from Zendesk:

Crashes happens when opening certain menus/general settings

Solution: Install or reinstall the English (United States) Language Pack

• Go to Language Settings > Speech > Manage Voice

• If the English (United States) Language Pack is already installed

• Select the voice package English (United States)

• Click on Remove

• Click on Add voices

• In the search bar type “English”

• Reinstall the English (United States) Language Pack

• If the English (United States) Language Pack is not installed

• Click on Add voices

• In the search bar type “English”

• Install the English (United States) Language Pack

If the problem persists after (re)installing the US language pack, remove and reinstall all the other language packs installed on the system as they may be corrupted.

I had MSFS CTD only once when I enabled Windows 10 WHQL in BIOS (advanced Windowa OS Configuration).

24 hours Prime95? That adds to wear and tear and is really unreasonable… and a waste of energy. 15 Minutes of stress testing are enough…

That’s utter nonsense. In 15 minutes, Prime95 on the blend stress test will have barely touched enough FFT variations to test both CPU and RAM effectively on an overclocked system.

Wear and tear happens every time you use your PC. Plus how would you define a waste of energy - is flying an imaginary plane a waste of energy?

1 Like