How can this be so bad!? Constant CTD's after latest update

It’s strange, I’ve never had any CTD with MSFS, besides the bug with VFR map that is already fixed.

1 Like

Any overclocks?

Also, what is your make, and model, of your PSU?

ok so I’m back… did stress / stability tests over the last few days. As far as I can determine all the parts in my pc are good and fault free. CPU and GFX are at stock clocks as per usual.

ended up doing a complete MSFS wipe and reinstall. It now starts and runs and I started to get my hopes up that all is now good and then it CTD’d… I have also noticed that it sometimes will not start a flight at certain airports. And surprisingly not even particularly large airports or with complex surrounding scenery. For example it will not start a flight from Ilse Of Man airport among others. Bethel in Alaska is another one it consistently will not load a flight from. There have been others but I cannot remember at this moment.

I have the graphics details set to what I would say be around 85 to 90%. Even lowering the settings often doesn’t help. So at this point I am at a loss. Yes it will run but I am still having issues. I simply just cannot believe that some people in here say that they have not experienced any issues with this sim so far or don’t get CTD’s…? Going from my experience up till now I cannot help but call BS on that. Clearly this game is far from stable and at the rate they are going with the patches / updates which seem to be only introducing more issues than what is being solved then it will be quite a while till folks like me suffering constant issues will find peace with this game.

edit… forgot to mention it took several attempts to get a successful install and it failed 3 times.
It would just stop downloading and that was it and would not continue or resume.
Then once installed I had only two planes to use and had to further install the rest which also took a couple of attempts. During these install failures I was testing the integrity of my internet connection and found it to be normal. I have a 100mbps connection which gets a reliable 95-99mbps with dropouts being quite rare. When the downloads stopped the connection had not dropped out according to the logs.

disable atc sound(generate text to sound) looks like do job

-MSFS Options>General>Sound>Text To Speech. WINDOWS OFFLINE
*Be sure English Language Pack is installed. Maybe even reinstall it. It’s quick.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14236/windows-language-packs

-Be sure that Windows Store apps are all updated.
Most importantly is the XBox app.
Then log out out your MS account and Xbox and log back in.
Leave xbox app running while using MSFS

-Double check all is up to date in MSFS Content Manager.

-PC Settings>Apps>Apps and Features>Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Click on Advanced Options.
Under Reset, click REPAIR.

trust me or not, but in 40 hours i experienced exact one CTD … ,
so no, we are not lying, there are really people for which game simply works.

Worst thing which is happening to me (except of stutters , when i change time/weather)
is that sometimes cockpit will become unresponsive (but i had suspicion that this is feature, which i accidentaly turn on, by some mouse gesture) , still in 80% it will fix itself after some time.

2 Likes

now module flightsimulator.exe twice today

I am being absolutely honest here. I have never had a CTD ever in the sim , at least not that I can recall anyway.

I had a bit of stuttering and lagging in the early days, that’s true, but since then i’ve not really had any bad performance issues. I had been thinking of upgrading my CPU/MB ( 4 core i5 7600k/MSI PRO) but at the moment i’m not sure that it’s really necessary. Maybe next year.

Perhaps it’s because I prefer to fly GA and not airliners but my experience, at least so far, does differ from your own.

1 Like

it’s definitely not about ga, i flight only ga, and have different ctd, it’s only about hardware and windows version/updates

1 Like

Yes, I suspect that it is a hardware issue and maybe as you say windows/update issues but then again I could easily be wrong :relaxed:

1 Like

I sometimes get the freeze on instrument panel to. It is usually on long flites of 1 hour or more. Cant figure it out.

We really need more information. When exactly does it CTD? You said initially “everywhere”, but then since you did the reinstall behaviour is better but still CTD. When specifically. Which aircraft, which location?

Personally I’ve not had a CTD since version 1.8.3 which fixed the USB crash. Do you restart the computer or the sim only after a CTD. I would strongly recommend a full PC shutdown/restart. When I was getting crashes, after the first one, if I didn’t do a full restart, they became more and more frequent.

Have you anything in the community folder?
Can you fly the training missions? The landing challenges?
Latest nVidia driver version?
Are you running anything in the background? MSI afterburner caused crashes for a while (fixed now I think)

Please post all your settings here, including nVidia control panel settings for MSFS

What resolution? Multi-monitors?

Disable multiplayer, AI traffic, and ATC voice, don’t give controil of the ATC to the co-pilot. All these are knonw potential CTD causes.

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread:

2 Likes

Your issue does sound like a potential software bug :smiling_face:

There might be a “loss of focus” sometimes it seems. Mouse clicks don’t work on switches/buttons after awhile. Usually opening atc, vr map( working nicely now ) or using the dropdown view setting and changing the view, then going back to forward view fixes the issue. I’ve never had it not work again after a few moments and has only happened twice for me.

Also some switches/buttons are picky about which view and/or angle your looking at. Just moving your view up/down can solve this using the arrow keys or move hat switch slightly or select a panel view.

1 Like

I will try the atc sounds option and see if that helps.

Ok I see that yes there will be guys out there who have had minimal to no issues But can you see my frustration? I can’t find anything wrong with my pc hardware wise. Windows is as up to date as possible and appears to be working correctly. No other sim title I use experiences CTD’s and I even bought the non steam version so I wouldn’t have That running in the background. Just can’t figure it out. Sometimes it runs fine, other times with the exact same plane and airport loaded with identical weather set it CTD’s… or it doesn’t load up at all… shrugs 🤷

just installed new nvidia hotfix driver 456.98 doesn’t touch this time profile, no ultra latency no fps limitation no crash nzqn-nzou gpu scheduling in windows settings, don’t like use all time 100% gpu(yes, with gpu scheduling it’s not 97-99 as usual, but almost all time 100%, this is crazy but no crashes) flight so smooth what even little stutter above airport scary as hell, i mean you feel so real, what stutter similar very bad trip under meskalin, i doesn’t test it yet, but guess it’s something like stop time in the real life lol

It’s not too far of a reach to guess that this may be a memory hardware error. I didn’t see your memory configuration, but if you have 2x16 could you try pulling one and testing with only a single 16GB stick? if that fails try the other one. As a long time hardware and software developer - since before the PC first came out - I don’t put a lot of faith in stress test apps. There is no way they can emulate every scenario. Especially freeware open source junk. Use the app that’s crashing to ferret out the problem. Another thought is how are your temperatures looking? That’s another popular cause for random hard to track errors. Good luck!

I am also getting CTD after latest update Seems to be in A320 Also I believe ATC is Culprit

no crash almost, after sfc/ scannow fixed something

You’ve carried over your 2080i and if the crashing has got worse it may be your card as the new system will drive it harder. Have you run some vram tests. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/having-problems-with-video-card-stress-test-its-memory/
if you’ve got some mates with another GPU borrow it and try it. This is the fastest way to rule stuff in and out of scope.
An old 980ti of mine would only ever cause problems with crashing when I ran far cry … nothing else caused issues and it passed a lot of tests. Over a year it got worse and started playing up more. I eventully took the back of and oh my zero heatsink compound … thanks EVGA ! I put some of my high grade paste on and stuck it back in the system. 15C cooler and mever crashed again in 2 years.

Things that are marginal can be absolute &(&^%( to find when you actually try and catch them in the act. With fault finding rule components in and out by proof and not assumption. FS puts a huge load across all parts of our systems.

There are still a few things in FS that cause a CTD (external views / editing fplan on G3000) but for the most part i’ve had some long stable flights.

If it was my system i’d try borrowing a different GPU as it’s a quick fix and you can always “borrow” a 1kw power supply from Amazon. It’s always good to have a spare anyway as one day it will go phut.

hth