How can we find the stutter reasons

If you’re flying online with traffic…

Actual air traffic was at an all time low on release date (thanks Covid) since the 1930’s and has been increasing.

More and more people are on the sim and more and more people are adding aircraft.

Also, I’m still playing with a 1070, frame rates are low but smooth.

All traffic is off, also disabled multiplayer. Non glass-cockpit planes (c152, diamond, etc) are pretty good on frames (50-60 fps), smooth. But since I’m mostly flying A320, well…that’s another story. Especially after 1hr+ flight it becomes terrible.

these are worth quite a bit of money these day, specially if you have some of the disks.

1 Like

in the latest dev q&a, asobo said there would be a performance improvement for glass cockpit airplanes… i hope it would fix the stutters on the airliner planes, including a320.

1 Like

You are so wrong and are assuming something possibly without the appropriate knowledge.
No stutters ever. None. all at high end settings. FPS set at 60.
So sorry but you are simply totally wrong. There are people who have never ever any stutters. Sorry to disappoint. Oh, and as an ex ICT manager, my expectations are high. I dont accept rubbish or make undue allowances. Why should I ??
The reason why people experience stutters will always be down to their setup and location.
The exception to that are actual bugs that are normally quickly acknowledged and corrected. You may recall that notorious airport that simply wasnt flyable.
The issues are varied but there is an assumption in many posts that ‘MS/Asobo have broken something’.
This simply is nonsense. If that was indeed so then we would all experience the problem.
It is therefore demonstrably the fact that at times there are some updates that for some reason or other affect some setups suddenly and not others.
The answer is to find out why rather than just blaming the software.
The other obvious fact is of course the more the software is added to and updated the more powerful the PC eventually needs to be, or settings need to be adjusted.

I totally believe you. But do you imply: “use the setup of Cynical…, then you will have smooth flight”?

My advise: If you have problems, make measurements. Start task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL), then start ressource monitor and look at the network traffic. If you see 500 TCP connections like myself, you can assume that the problem is not in your computer, but in Microsoft game servers or in the connection between both.

My theory: The rolling cache implementation is not very sophisticated. If I fly the same path, like in Paris from Arc de triumphe to La Defense, my computer creates again and again HTTPS requests to the game servers. Now the CPU (busy?) waits for server response - the CPU load goes up. And because there is no data, the GPU has nothing to do - GPU load goes down.

Does this sound familiar? When I have stutter, CPU load goes up, GPU load goes down. This is not a problem with your computer, your computer just don’t get fast enough data from the game servers. Measure yourself.

2 Likes

This makes perfect sense to me. Even if they’ll fully use multi-core to distribute the request handlers and even if Windows sockets handling was not busy waiting on the CPU, as long as data is not coming back, or at least confirmation data is there or not so that the sim could fallback on default LC texturing for example, the GPU will have to wait for the CPU to send any data to render.

Have you tried the same in caching the region you’re flying over locally (with the manual cache)? Are there still as much HTTP requests in flight?

Well, I do not understand manual cache (I assume manual cache is even more broken). But I see a correlation between Ultra and High End setting. High end setting makes less HTTPS requests then Ultra. I think this is ONE important reason why I have less stutter in High end setting.

1 Like

Yes. We all experienced the “76T Bishop one frame per second bug”. And for France WU4 update I found a bad spot on Charles de Gaulle, Paris airport:

This is a 10 fps spot, not a 1 fps spot. But for me it shows the point: Performance depends not on the location where your computer is located, but from the in game location you fly. By the way, the airplane was in “active pause” and no network traffic was responsible for the 10 fps.

I too know airports and areas where I have MUCH more then 10 fps.

Please tell me why your “ex” status is relevant for the discussion?

1 Like

I dont use cache at all. It actually confuses the issue I feel. My point was that as we all get streamed the same identical stuff but some have stutters and some dont, the problem is ‘local’ and therefore extremely difficult to trace as every setup will differ in some way.
I would always under these circumstances go back to a ‘vanilla’ setup. as basic as it comes.
In my setup I also have things switched off. Every setup is different. Not ideal I agree but thats how it is.
Location can also be an issue. I wonder for example how many people suffer stutters because of bad internet connection or overloaded MS servers. So its a complex issue that goes way beyond the simple ‘MS has broken it…’ type of comment. That was my point. In the FSX days as a simmer community we very much used to help each other.
Seems do had died a bit that.

Stop flying in the USA seems to have worked for me.

I’m doing a round the world trip, UK to UK heading eastwards. All was pretty much fine until I hit Seattle and then the FPS’s collapsed, down to under 10 with stutters and 30 second freezes when on final approach to airports. Now that I’ve left El Paso and am travelling south through Mexico it’s back to my usual 50.

So: in my humble opinion the cause appears to be overly detailed photogrammetry, too much incoming data and either my pc, my internet or the servers can’t keep up.

I9-10940 @ 4600, 64gb 3200 memory, RTX 3090, Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 80mb/sec interweb connection. 4K with all on Ultra usually, 4K with all on Medium over the USA.

it isnt. It only means I am retired after having been an ICT manager, much for a major engineering company for 25 years, so you may say I do have some experience.
Your comment about 76T proves my point. QED I would want to say !
We ALL experienced it. It had an additional problem. Thats was very evident.

Well, like i said… I don’t believe there’s anyone without any stutters. So not sure how you’re going to convince me with saying this. I believe you have you’re fps capped to 60. But there’s no way you’re achieving 60fps all the time with high end settings. But hey, it could be that you don’t see the stutters or don’t experience as being bad. There’s a difference between small stutters and massive framedrops. But there’s not a single youtube video where no stutters occur. And stutters aren’t the worst, only if they are actually big enough or occur often. But no need to go that hard at me and stating i’m completely wrong while in the meantime you’re saying things hardly anyone would believe.

Flight sim @ 60fps with no stutters is not possible.

Btw ICT is such a wide workfield it’s kinda useless to even bring this up. Almost like if you’re trying to prove something. I’m an interior designer… Don’t know how that may help😅

OK, I will give this one more shot. I dont have stutters. There are many users who do not experience stutters.
’ I’m an interior designer… Don’t know how that may help😅’
In this case, I dont think it does.
I have been flying MS Flight simulators since the 1980s. Yes I also used the first one.
I do tend to recognise smooth flight. I also can recognise stutters.
I didnt say that I am experiencing FPS60. Your replies seemed to suggest that people are experiencing
smooth flight because they have set their FPS at 30.
’ If you’re used to only play flight sims at 30fps or less and cap your fps at 30, ofcourse the stutters will be less’
I merely wished to disabuse you of that notion.
No stutters. None. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Keine. Geen. Aucun.
It isnt my intention to convince you as you seem to suggest.
That doesnt interest me. But you are 100% totally and catagorically wrong when you
say that there arent people who dont experience stutters.
And yes, I keep my machine at high settings including my 2070super graphics card.
I have posted my setup. Have a look at it.
Even inerior designers can sometimes learn about computing from a computing professional.
I gather it isnt unheard of.
Now you may have the last word, as I wont be replying to you. There doesnt seem to be much point.
bye

Upgrading to a 10700Kf definitely made a difference for me.There is noticeably less stuttering
Still some areas suffer

1 Like

This worked really well for me:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.