How close is MSFS 2020 to the real thing?

Other than the resistance on the Yoke (or Joystick) I think it’s fantastic, especially the VFR Pilotage navigation side… following the Magenta line in IFR flight is great too. So the main difference between the simulator and real life is what the Yoke is doing, you really have to fight it in real life until you trim, that whole experience doesn’t exist in a desktop simulator.

1 Like

There are two sperate questions here that get conflated:

1. is the overall experience relatively close to flying a similar real world aircraft .

2. does a particular sim aircraft match the performance of the same make model and variant in real life

In terms of 1) I would say stick and rudder, not really, but the rest is pretty good. PROVIDING you are sticking to sane flight conditions. Whilst Immelmann’s and Aileron Rolls in a c172 might just happen to be realistic, it seems unlikely.

In terms of 2) I am not sure if it really matters if the C172 has a FM closer to a Piper Warrior so long as it is close for the aircraft type and does not fly like a Beechcraft Starship. So, unless you actually happen to fly the same aircraft in real life - the exact FM matching is just a matter of street cred and epeen. Basically you get a warm fuzzy feeling if you know the aircraft matches the real one and get to tell friends and family your Cessa is “just like a real one” .

I just want to say “Thanks to all of You” for taking the time to answer my question although I should have mentioned about the flight dynamic’s …Again I’m sorry…Please accept my apologies…

1 Like

It depends on what your interest is.

Here is my experience: I fly exclusively the C172. This plane is very close to the real thing. Both in numbers and in its behavior.

Moreover, my “game” is a little more involved. And for that MSFS is just perfect.

See what I do with the sim Here

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.