How many CTDs do you have per number of Flights? Lets compare?

I’ve had 2 unexplained CTDs in 198 hours. I had maybe a dozen when the third party aircraft switch bug was around that MS too ages to publish the patch for.

Maybe 1 CTD every 20-30 flights

My Fs2020 CTD’s always cause my computer to reboot!

They usually occur for the reasons

1. When I hit the escape key mid flight to go back to the menu BUT this happen rarely
  2. When I set the sim rate too high in a built up area but again rarely
  3. When I set volumetric clouds to ultra always crashes the sim after a few minutes!

I might get a crash once a week & I’m flying way too much lately; so says my wife!
My guess a crash every 30 hours or so

I’m not sure on this but I’ve noticed that if a crash I’m best to start at a new location on my next flight to avoid a second immediate crash. Applying this principle has reduced multiple crashes on the same day for me

1 Like

Never had a single ctd to date

4 Likes

I dont even fly anymore because its so prevelant

2 Likes

That would point to a hardware or driver issue vs software. That’s also the #1 sign of an unstable overclock, be it CPU, GPU or RAM. Not saying that’s your issue for sure, but if you have any overclocking on your system, I would seriously considering rolling them back, even if they give you no issues in other games and apps.

2 Likes

I’ve had only 1 ever, after slewing for about 10 minutes. Otherwise totally stable and beautiful.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, I’ll explain.

Since about 1.5 weeks ago I’ve suddenly started to get VCRUNTIME140.DLL crashes. In my attempts to fix this I’ve removed the AMD drivers, and went with the Windows update version of the drivers.

Apparently these drivers don’t have a recovery option built in, and the system now just hangs, and occasionally reboots after a while.

I’m sure that if I revert back to the AMD drivers I’ll see the regular crash info pop up in the event viewer again.

1 Like

I’m at 260 hours with something like 120 take off/landings and have had less than 10 CTD’s. I haven’t counted my crashes, but it certainly is not a big number, and most notably they have been in Airliners on flights longer than 2 hours.

1 Like

I’m not saying that’s definitely the problem…

Like I said…

Sounds like it’s a driver issue in your case, which is in line with what I said.

However, the computer rebooting CAN also be the result of an unstable overclock. Not saying that IS the case, but if he does have something overclocked, he may considering trying to reset that to default to see if the problem goes away. If you have a piece of overclocked hardware that decides to ■■■■ the bed, the system will reboot. That’s the #1 sign of an unstable overclock.

1 Like

nah, not a driver issue, unless you count VCRuntime as a driver.

VCRuntime140.DLL causes a crash, and the AMD drivers recover the system after a few seconds (probably because it notices the application has locked up).

1 Like

Gotcha…

1 Like

1 after initial install and that was due to failing ram,
200 hrs since and no issues.

1 Like

241 hours and one CTD.

1 Like

None. Never

1 Like

Yeah I have a cpu overclock but the benefits out way the odd crash here and there

1 Like

Had a CTD yesterday actually , first in a couple of months, A320 Neo , ( 53 mins into a flight , only 5 mins to landing :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) .

The last CTD I had, ( approx 2 months ago , nearly 2 hours into a flight , A320 Neo also ) , actually soured me a bit towards the sim ( especially flying airliners ) .

Will turn off all live traffic etc and attempt another flight in the A320 .

( P.s All this when the A320 autopilot is actually working really well !! )

1 Like

Usually have 1 or 2 CTD per flight. Seems related to the use of third party tools (not community folder mods) and AMD driver.

1 Like

Used to have CTD’s recently. Turned off live traffic and boom… CTD’s were gone. Anyway there are several topics like this, so I don’t think it’s necessary. There are plenty of fixes out there on multiple threads. I’m sure there will be a fix sooner or later. It’s easy to get frustrated with the sim, but when you find a fix, it’s great!
:grin: have a great day!

1 Like

I’ve had 3 CTD’s over 100+ flights. The first was when the sim was very new for me back in September, the cause was the VFR map bug. The next one was a month or so later sometime in Oct/Nov, I was doing circuits in the C208B and on final approach to KIKK. Screen stuttered, sound stopped/started/stopped and then CTD - Cause :man_shrugging:.
My latest one was 2 weeks ago, on final approach to a small GA airport in the C208B again, same as before, stuttered then sound stopped then CTD. Logged with Zendesk with event logs for investigation.

Since that last CTD, I’ve turned AI traffic OFF altogether and have noticed less stuttering and generally better performance (duh).

Today, I did two flights with preset weather (scattered clouds) instead of Live Weather, and the sim ran SMOOTH for much of the time. If I had to, I’d take a guess that stuttering and possibly some CTD issues MAY be caused by internet connection and/or download speed. But I’m no computer expert so I could be completely wrong! I just have my suspicions.

1 Like