How many World Updates?

Just a curious question, is there a set number of world updates scheduled for the sim to be expected?

1 Like

If I had to guess I would say it would be limited by the availability of new data sets.

2 Likes

Figured as much. Thanks

Some areas of the world may be trickier to obtain. I believe above, and below certain latitudes satellite coverage isn’t great.

1 Like

I would think this will be a process that never really stops. The data will constantly improve over the life span of this product and there are countless areas around the globe that will always need some love as the scope of each is somewhat limited.

And I’m OK with that as long as it doesn’t affect the sim’s stability as it goes. That, after all, is the whole point of developing a framework like they have with the projected life span they built. Keep adding eye candy and accuracy around the globe!

1 Like

I guess my confusion is that that I read somewhere that the Bing maps in the Sim are outdated by about 5 years. So I guess my question really is why not just use an updated version of Bing if that in fact is the case. I could’ve misunderstood what I read. Either way I’m cool with the updates. I’ve had a stable system since day one with the occasional hiccup here and there like everyone else. Nothing crazy though.

2 Likes

5 or 6 SIM Updates by year, and 5 or 6 World Updates by year + cookies :sunglasses:

1 Like

In one of the dev Q&A livestreams, Jorg mentioned that he whiteboarded over 40 World Updates. Now obviously there’s no guarantee that all 40+ will be released, but that should give you an indication of how far into the future the leadership at MSFS is thinking.

18 Likes

Ok excellent thank you

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that the Bing maps have little to do with the world updates. The world updates do not update the underlying Bing maps data. They just add photogrammetric cities, main attractions and POIs on top of the Bing maps that already exist.

Right?

1 Like

Holly molly, 40??? and this is the 8th? We have manyyy manyyy years ahead with MSFS! love it!

2 Likes

Bing provides the data but MSFS freezes the data in time to add things like working airports, water masking, and whatnot. While much of the world is processed by AI, other places need a human touch. So the maps aren’t (yet?) alble to just update themselves when Bing data updates.

IIRC, updates have improved texture resolution for areas, photogrammetry cities, hand crafted POIs, bespoke airports, and/or mesh data. But not all updates contain all kinds of improvements.

1 Like

Interestingly, the newest version of the Google earth replacement tool includes a few options for other imagery sources, and one of them is the newest Bing data. I’ve been told it makes a big difference in some places.

1 Like

In one of the Developer Q&As last year they mentioned that they’ve got plans for something like 100+ (either combined SU and WU, or just for each) planned out. They only tell us about the ones coming up, but the plans exist far into the future.

3 Likes

Thats good to hear!

Hopefully around 200 world updates :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.