1 Go to https://protonvpn.com/
2 Create freeware account.
3 Download Proton VPN (freeware).
4 Create a system restore point.
5 Run the installer.
6 Select language > next

7 Launch Proton VPN
8 Uncheck “Start and connect on boot”

9 Login with your username and password.
10 IMPORTANT. Connect to United States server.
(edit: For testing purpose you can also switch to a different server)

11 Launch MSFS.

100% works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personal Comments and Observations

Net Neutrality and Fast Lanes.

Content Providers (MS is an example) not only have extensive application infrastructure (think of MSFS and it’s various services deployed on Azure) but also invest in Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) to ensure that the application content can reach the End Users (EU) in the fastest and most efficient way (i.e., routing). Except those EUs are using a variety of Internet Service Providers (ISP).

Simplistically, Net Neutrality would prevent ISPs from biasing (i.e., bottlenecking or restricting) Content Provider Traffic traversing their networks - whether it’s Video Streaming, Gaming Services or other digital content. But that costs money, especially to the ISPs. And the ugly telco secret is ISPs do bottleneck and restrict - and they can do so because they’ll fold it in under the guise of traffic shaping and other “maintenance and optimization” activities purportedly to the benefit of the ISP’s customers as a whole - balancing traffic, preventing one type of data flow from overwhelming bandwidth and capacity to the detriment of others. Of course, the ISP is more than happy to optimize traffic for a Content Provider - for a fee - or if they sign up to deliver their content through the ISP’s own CDN.

That’s why a VPN works sometimes - your session and origin point is not visible to the ISP - and they can’t tell what resource(s) you’re attempting to connect to - so you’re not subjected to the bottlenecking they’re imposing on the Content Provider, and by extension, the ISP’s customers trying to get there.

EUs are often quick to assume the burden (and therefore the blame) lies entirely upon the Content Provider. Tihat’s not the case. In a complex technical, interconnected environment that is the Public Internet, everyone in the chain leading to the End User point has a share of the responsibility.

8 Likes

You can remove the 100% comment. Tried it twice and it did NOT work.

I have tried many times and works 100% :wink:

1 Like

Option 2:
Wait until tomorrow.

2 Likes

Pls all,

don’t go to VPN solutions now to have track with reports and also solved problem. I’ll wait (hope) to quick solution and will report any required infos. I’ve seen at today start on Forum message about monitoring of weather problems what is perfect and did report there for devs. We need report true observations data to have weather functional.

Update,

just now started working to me.

Can you clarify please? Still no clouds for me. Did you restart the sim?

No,

didn’t restart but it looks to me that it takes longer time to start. I closed now my position and went to other airport and no weather again. Will wait…

Here at LZIB and LKMT as my tests positions is weather very hard now, strong winds and gusts, with precipitations so good test places for me. Take your preffered position on another places but check real web weather to have position where bad weather is at your actual time.

What is more interesting and probably bug with aircraft devs and also with sim???> is that here at my actual situation is very strong gust share and Seneca simply move up/down with propellers running. I don’t have chance to set static elements to have grounded aircraft and no running propellers :slight_smile: if I set weather to off and set that static things, it turns ok but after set real weather again, all propellers starts moving and no statit elements can be set. This can be also good observations to sim devs and aircraft devs also to have this situations at their attention to implement correctly.

Update: and now weather started also at my actual different position so looks like to me is start working after cca 15min after start flight and sitting at Apron f.ex. Will do next tests. I recommend maybe wait till weather starts and monitor time. If I could share my opinion, weather depiction is correct at my actual posiition (LKMT) that Overcast is perfect and also precipitations.

Try
Select server US-free#114048

Go to msfs options > general options > data
Turn off live weather - apply and save
Turn off online functionality - apply and save.

Turn on online functionality - apply and save.
Turn on live weather - apply and save

EPWA with VPN

EPWA without VPN

1 Like

Yes, live weather was iffy today, I flew a bunch of short flights throughout the day, with fresh msfs starts between.

All started clear skys, but the live weather always came to life after a 1 to 3 minutes.

1 Like

I did that only for test and → CTD.

Snake oil being sold here… Just saying. Refuse to setup a VPN just for clouds and whatnot.

7 Likes

Contact support (zendesk)

For what i need contact support, for CTD???

I have stability ok and have no CTDs. I’ve only reported that in case some Server issue is presented, with your recommendations you can easy have strange behavior…

Doesn’t work for me, unfortunately. :-1:t3:

1 Like

Sad to hear that. I’ve fixed it at my end.

Hi, I tried the VPN method yesterday too…but with poor results, in the sense that, with the VPN connected to a US server, the metar reads it correctly, but in fact, it doesn’t load the clouds into the sim, on the contrary, after a few minutes it reads an old metar, like now the metar of 4 has taken me first (correct), now after about ten minutes, the metar of 2 has taken me, this also reports SCT and OVC, but no trace of clouds in the sim. Another problem, with the VPN connected in the USA, for me as a user who lives in the EU, I have a very high ping, and this is not good for the sim.

Well this 90% confirms abd points to a server issue not to kill the culprit within the server stopping it from throwing the live weather data to our sims

If what you say was relevant here, it would be affecting customers of one ISP who has decided to deprioritise this (small) amount of internet traffic, not many. Just because something long and complicated may be technically correct, doesn’t make it relevant. Stop making excuses for Microsoft. It’s Microsoft for crying out loud - they should be able to get this right, whether it is down to them or their CDN (and it is nothing to do with end users’ ISPs - and which CDN Microsoft uses is entirely on them).

(And to be clear, no, fiddling with VPNs in an attempt to “fix” someone else’s problem is not the answer either. I hope you trust your free VPN not to read your data on its way to you.)

3 Likes