"How To" for applying the workaround to fix the flaps/lift issue caused by the Third World Update

Asobo’s post in recognition of the mistake they made with World Update 3 and the flight dynamics is vague at best, when it describes how to apply their ‘fix’.

Here is said post for the uninitiated:

Seriously. They are the worst instructions. Please can the helpful community here fill in some blanks:

1. For both Windows and Steam: a list of locations for each flight_model.cfg that we should and can change (the encrypted paid for models cannot even be manually edited, I know)

2. Elaborate on this confusing statement:

In the meantime, a workaround is to go into the flight_model.cfg and divide the flap lift by 2x (there are several possible scalars for that purpose: lift_coef_flaps or lift_scalar ).

For me, the word several is a collection of at least three, not two. Are those two in fact the only couple ‘of possible scalars’ or are there more? In any case… I see some files have entries for both. Do these both need changing or just one?

e.g. X:\FS2020\Official\Steam\asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_C172sp_AS1000\flight_model.cfg includes both lines:
lift_coef_flaps = 0.33790
… and later …
lift_scalar = 1.9 ; Scalar coefficient to ponderate global flap lift coef (non dimensioned)

It seems
lift_coef_flaps = precedes lift_scalar = ; Scalar coefficient to ponderate global flap lift coef (non dimensioned)

halfing lift_coef_flaps fixed my Longitude floating

All not clear.
Example: A320 neo
FBW mod: lift_coef_flaps 1.2 - Default airplane 1.45380
WTF? What have i to modify?

Second example:
Baron G58, there is no flight_model.cgf file, maybe the correct file to check is a ‘generic airplane’ file … but which???

Yeah… all clear as mud.

I know the FBW team already compensated for this issue in their mod, so as long as you are using the development or experimental version it doesn’t need adjusting.

I am using the ‘community flap hotfix’ at the moment, available here: World Update III - Flap / Lift Community Hotfix (Standard Edition) • Flight Simulator 2020

Note - I am also using the FBW mod and so had to remove the A320 from the hotfix (instructions are included on the link)

I don’t know for sure if they have implemented the fix properly (because of the terrible instructions from Asobo), but I am at least able to land now.

I understand mistakes will happen, and hats-off to Asobo for owning up to this one, but the way it has been handled is appalling.

1 Like

“divide the flap lift by 2x” is at kindest a sign of inability to write clearly.

1 Like

Reminder - Aircraft are marked Premium or Deluxe, and thus, Aircraft configuration and other core files are encrypted and not applicable to the flaps workaround. That includes the Baron.

2 Likes

will they ever fix this, or the only way is to fix my myself?

Please see the development post. It will be fixed in Sim Update 3 in March.

1 Like

Why not land without using flaps for now ? (If extending flaps causes this bug ? )

Don’t you think it kind of defeats the point of a flight simulator if you can’t simulate landings?

Plus, you don’t learn to play guitar with out of tune strings - it is actually counter-productive to developing skill and training your ear. I believe this is analogous to this situation too - if you learn to fly with bad physics, you’ll learn to fly badly.

4 Likes

You can perform a flaps out landing, it will just be a lot faster than nominal operation, and require a longer rollout.

2 Likes

The fact this is not being hot fixed is pathetic and shows how little commitment Asobo has to the Flight Simulator community. They’re just leaving us with a broken simulator for weeks instead of fixing it timely.

Thanks Asobo, totally reminded me why I was hesitant to use FS2020 in the first place.

Why not land without flaps ?

Maybe they should just have a “press X to land” button. Transports you from 2000 feet to stationary on the runway.

I could forgive them the bug if they’d made the slightest effort to explain the fix in simple clear terms that most people could understand. This would not take long. (Do they employ anyone at all to write documentation ?)

The given description is comically bad.

2 Likes

Dont get your panties in a bunch. Just freakin’ land without flaps for a few weeks till they fix it. This is a highly complex simulator. Things have a ripple effect in a complex simulation of the whole freakin world and aircraft and physics modeling. You cant harp on the flaws so much and ignore the progress this sim has made in leaps and bounds, literally in one year since it came out. If you are not happy with it. Stop using it for a few weeks till its fixed. Or stop complaining and get on with it .

1 Like

… which is why if you change the way the flaps work it’s usually a good idea to be bothered to test whether you can still land a plane or not. I mean, you can’t exactly miss it.

I don’t see why I should ‘stop using it for a few weeks’ because of incompetence on the part of the developers.

You’d accept this with a car would you ? Sorry, you can’t use your car, we put the engine in backwards, tough XXXX, you’ll just have to learn to drive backwards for a few weeks.

And none of your post actually answers the question ; which was, if you need the long version, “how come nobody in Asobo can be bothered to spend half an hour writing a clear description of how to correct this problem ?”

How come there’s this company with “hundreds of developers” to quote one member of the access media that can’t make the same progress that a few amateurs are doing fixing things ?

I even reached out to @Jummivana - the Community Manager who wrote the post describing the workaround - asking for more clarity.

Complete radio silence though.

I can forgive the development mistakes - I am a software developer and have a lot of empathy for this (but how this managed to slip through the test/QA/build process unnoticed is quite alarming, especially for a project this size).

However, I’m not sure there is an excuse for the ■■■■ poor communication. As you said, simply taking 30 mins (if that!) to properly explain/document the workaround is not a lot to ask and would make a world of difference.

If I apply the manual fix, do I have to remove it before the next sim update?

No, the hotfix should overwrite. I applied it to the TBM, the 152 and 172 in the meantime. It’s a low labor task.

Depends. There is a module (which is pretty much identical to editing the files directly), if you’ve installed that you will need to remove it when the hotfix is out RSN (hopefully!)

They might fix it by updating the configuration files (they might not, it could be changed in the model), but they should tell you this when they release the hotfix. It is quite likely that they will simply overwrite the config files.

1 Like

I just saw this for the first time today. I thought my C208’s landings had seemed a fair amount longer than they used to. Ground effect seemed to last forever. Glad it wasn’t just my imagination.