[HOW-TO] Graphics Settings and Performance Guide - Discussion Thread

Thanks for the very detailed information and screenshots. I’ve used this guide to tweak my low end system (i54570, GTX1050ti, 20gb ram) and get ~25fps on a mix of medium/high settings over urban areas which is great for now.

I’ve been considering updating my system, but most of the guidance is from pre-SU5. Any suggestions for what would be sufficient to run mostly Ultra settings at 1080p and ~40fps with SU5 and the current hotfixes?

Lowering renderscale to 75% will give a nice boost with not too much degredation but for me 1280 x 720 at 100% works best and lets me get some eyecandy on board (I’m stuck with a GT1030 and just 2GB of vram). The other thing you can do is play in dev mode and disable volumetrics but if you do then make sure you are wearing sunglasses. Oh and it’s a flightsim not a shooter, even 20fps looks good if you can keep your head still and fly straight.

I had a 1030 this spring and then decided to buy a 1050ti (for the lowest covid-priced deal I could find). I’m shopping for upgrades in part because it’s fun, but tbh I have a hard time justifying it right now. My 1050ti gives me 25fps over dense urban areas and 35fps elsewhere (running 1680x1050 at 100% render scale). Mostly I’m interested to know if a lower end prebuilt gaming rig would give me a big enough boost to be worth the money. I will never get enough value out of an RTX 3xxx system to be worth the money.

If you can build it yourself you can save heaps, you just have to match parts well. If my 5600xt ever gets here my B550M, 3800X, CL 14 G,Skill 16GB, 500GB 980ProEVO will amount to under €1100 including a 550w PSU that might or might not need upgrading. The gaming case was free as the first thing my neighbour did was put the insides of his into a fancy glass sided box and chuck this one and the 3800X was cheap because it is so power hungry compared to the 3700X and got such bad mainstream reviews because of it that I actually paid less. One beta bios update later and I’m matching a Ryzen 9 for single thread performance (without overclocking).
CPU-Z_bench

Good work on the updated guide. I must say I’m disappointed you didn’t keep contents from your previous guide, even if it’s just buried in a spoiler tag at the end of your new guide. For those of us who had to install fresh and lost our settings, it is helpful for performance and quality comparisons to have your old recommended settings.

1 Like

I am totally stutter free but have discovered conflicts between NVCP and MSFS vsinc settings that can introduce slght but still noticable stutters (not fps related). For me the best option is to let the sim handle them where possible.

Does anybody have suggestions for " Limited by mainthread " issue?
My PC:

i3 - 10100F
GTX 1660 6g
16gb ram
1TB HDD

I usually get around 40-50 fps when stationary at LSZH and then around 30-40 fps when flying.
During Cruise i get over 60fps all with the FBW A320 neo.
However when i am on final on EGLL my framerates drop to 20-30 fps and my GPU utilization is only around 60%

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

This has been discussed in detail.

Can you by chance direct me to where?

I would have to search the Forum for the Topics for “mainthread”.

You can do that also for yourself.

Alright will do.

Thanks

lower cpu bound settings

Ive tried doing that but for dome reason the stutters are really bad still.

The obvious starting point is your HDD, is it fast enough? and you should check it isn’t being allowed to spin down to save power. In the past I have noticed major Windows updates reverting my power settings back to their default.

Hi there,

I am currently running an I9 9900kf , RTX 2070 super, 32gb ram and my FPS should be better. I am currently using REX preset of thunderstorms and my FPS in the DEV mode is under 30fps and I really don’t get it.

My resolution is 2560 x 1440 if that has any use ?

Presumably renderscale is 100% and I definitely would expect better, have you yet done the preset to low, apply and save and then preset high fix yet? And compare to the default MSFS storms, if they are much better you can only point fingers at the REX stuff.

Hi. Are you doing a retest to check if the graphic settings that were marked as broken in the previous SU5 post, are fixed?

1 Like

when i get around to it

3 Likes

What settings are you guys using for the Terrain and Object LOD sliders? On what CPU/GPU combo? The quality impacted by these settings has been changed back and forth with almost every update.