How to set heading bug in retrofit dc-3?

i’m trying the retrofit dc-3, but when i set heading mode it just flies due north. i’ve set the ‘desired heading’ knob to my desired heading but it seems like it doesn’t follow it. what steps have i missed?

edit: i should mention, in the classic model the heading hold worked fine but i was setting the direction on the sperry which doesn’t exist in the modern one

edit2: it seems like the gps nav works so it’s at least slightly working. strange that the lateral guidance doesn’t use the heading bug. i think i must be setting the wrong knob?

edit3: i also seem to be unable to extinguish the error light about not having my valve in neutral while the gear is up. i cannot figure out where the click spot is to set this valve position. is there a manual for this plane available somewhere?

thanks

2 Likes

I would also like to know where the heading knob or bug is in the retrofit model of this aircraft. The AP has a HDG HOLD mode, which can be turned on, but I can’t seem to find the heading bug (even though I can change the heading using the keyboard shortcuts and can hear the clicks).

Douglas DC-3

The Heading Bug for the autopilot cannot be set in the Retrofit variant.
The Flaps indicator in the External View HUD is off by one notch.
The right fuel selector cannot be switched to the off position.
The radio altimeter does not provide accurate indications above 400’.
1 Like

ah thanks, good to see that it’s a known issue hopefully they’ll get a fix soon.

Yes, there is:

FlightSimulator2020\Official\OneStore (or Steam)\microsoft-aircraft-dc3\Documentation"

I was wondering about the light myself … from what I gathered from the manual it’s normal that the red light stays on until the gear is lowered. I couldn’t find any neutral setting.

1 Like

However, we still can set heading bag looking at the external HUD if we assign controls for the heading bag on our Joystick. I use one button for “SELECT HEADING BAG” command (under flight instruments menu) and two for PLUS and MINUS (miscellaneous)

2 Likes

If you are on a PC, the documentation is in the installation folder in the Official- OneStore folder:
your installation path\Packages\Official\OneStore\microsoft-aircraft-dc3\Documentation

1 Like

Also the VOR (autopilot) is not working properly. I’m on xbox

Is there a possibility to de-ice the front windows?

Windshield De-icer switch Top left panel 5th switch from the right.

Yes, i already found this switch, but it didnt work for me…

You can set it if you have the heading bug bound to a controller like the Bravo. No way to set it on the plane though.

in my limited experience the deicing takes a while to start working especially if you let it get really thick and crusty. happened to me while i was reading the manual and sitting at the airfield. took about 5 minutes to clear up and also i think it may help to have the engines going a bit like at least 900-1000rpm.

You can use HDG mode with this mod now in the modern GPS version. Duckworks DC-3 Improvement Mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 Like

I’ve been adjusting the heading compass to trick the plane into following a heading, there’s a 2nd compass so you don’t get disoriented and the plane orientation gets messed up on the gps but it works.

Found a workaround here. Assuming you are not doing an ILS approach (having an ILS frequency dialed in) this will work.

I fly the DC-3 exclusively in Alaska and a lot of the approaches are in fjord type areas (PAWD for instance) so I need to set a heading bug to get to my approach entry point. Whenever I need to go a set heading I simply take the plane off of GPS mode in the GNS 530. Manually fly the plane on the heading I want to go, then turn autopilot on (again, on VLOC mode instead of GPS) then I select ALT hold and it will fly the heading no problem whatsoever. Whenever I need to go back on my flight plan I’ll simply hit the DIR button on the GNS530 and re-load my flight plan, reactivate GPS mode and let it follow the magenta line again from my new bearing. It’s not IDEAL, but it does the job just the same.

1 Like

Thank you- you made flying this crate pleasurable again

1 Like

Actually the heading bug is just above the Radio compass, hope this helps

Im flying this pile rn nothing makes any sense :joy:

This is still not working on the retrofit model. The autopilot can’t turn to the desired heading. Disappointing.