[HOW-TO] Setting up realistic push-to-talk (PTT)

I wanted to find a way to assign my PTT button on my yoke so it works like it should in the real world. Took a bit of trial and error so I thought I’d share my solution. I imagine this might be useful when using VATSIM or similar.

Obviously you need a microphone (duh), and what we’ll do is use its Mute/Unmute function. FYI I have a Jabra bluetooth headset but any headset or standing mic will do.

First, install MicMute (find it on sourceforge)

In Micmute:

• select your headset or mic in Devices

• in Options/Setup: assign a keyboard shortcut (one key, no combination) to the mute/unmute function. I chose the Num *

• in Options/Setup: select Transmitter mode

• in Options/Setup: in Notifications, disable all (no popups, sounds, etc…)

• in Options/Setup: select Start Muted

Now let’s install Antimicro (it’s on GitHub)

From the Antimicro UI it’s pretty straightforward. Select your joystick from the list, push the joystick button you want to use for PTT and it will flash on the screen. Assign your MicMute shortcut key (Num * in my case) to this button, and you’re done! Save your config too.

Make sure you have both MicMute and AntiMicro running and you’re in business.

The nice thing about this is that to talk to ATC you hold the button down and when you release it it mutes you. Just like the real thing :sunglasses:

5 Likes

This is a nice solution… Now I wish we have an AI ATC that can read Speech to Text and have us respond using our voice into the AI ATC and have them detect our response accordingly.

We have the technology to do so, like using the basic foundations of Cortana and use it as our AI ATC.

4 Likes

What are you using to talk to ATC? VoiceAttack/VV Immersive?MS Azure?

No need to use MicMute for Vatsim. The commonly used Vatsim client vPilot offers the PTT function built into the client. You can assign any joystick button or keyboard key as your PTT button.

2 Likes

Thanks for that - I wasn’t sure. Great the client offers the functionality!

You are welcome… see screenshot attached for the Vatsim client (vPilot) PTT assignment…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.