How will msfs compete with xp12?

Thats exactly my point, i have to turn of bloom and all that extra stuff - that stuff is great for ‘screen shots’ but irl you dont get ‘lens bloom’ unless your looking thru a “Lens” :stuck_out_tongue:
so yea graphics need adjusting like with Any game -including xp, we just have more to choose from

2 Likes

and you care about what some Youtubers say ? I hope you not mean these main-canditates which also also share in parallel content for MSFS ( and others ) and that as one reason “users should click so they earn money with Ads”. I assume and hope that also MSFS developers not care much about all of these “phrases” from these kind of youtubers , where possible 0.1% is a real pilot :wink:

2 Likes

I think I tend to see more people complaining MSFS is undersaturated.

In my experience, it looks bland when it should and pops when it should.

1 Like

If MSFS wants to push their product to commercial clients I’m sure they could, even more so once their flight model is complete.

I just think MS hasn’t stepped into that side of things yet. Just remember this is a new flight model that’s been out for only two years. If you guys want to compare time and all like everyone does with MSFS and XP. Two years and still being worked on, x plane fm has been around much longer… I think commercial clients are keeping a close eye. Eventually they’ll see the benefit of having the visuals with an advanced flight model.

3 Likes

How will MSFS compete with XP12?

Well, first off, by not looking like a cartoon flight simulator from around 2004.

Second, by not feeling like every plane is rolling along on rails in a static environment like Kerbal Space Progam from 2013.

Third, by having a huge user-based and ever-increasing numbers of developers devoted to creating the best aircraft, sceneries and liveries.

I think that covers the highlights. YMMV.

5 Likes

That was kind of my point.

It would be nice if the FM was complete at some point, but it seems to be one of those things that can always be improved upon.

Yeah, I saw that too and actually laughed out loud. I believe they are so used to X-Plane looking desaturated, dull and so low contrast that they can’t handle when the lighting actually looks like a bright sunny day in the real world. Ridiculous.

The dull lighting was one of the main reasons, why I never warmed up to X-Plane, believe it or not. FSX/P3D also looked pretty dull without help like Reshade, but X-Plane always looked even duller, which is just terrible to look at. Not sure how X-Plane can be improved with ReShade, but I don’t really care to find out at this point. That ship has sailed.

2 Likes

They are loyal to their platform. Ill give them that. But can get nasty if you bring up MSFS

1 Like

True but actually the 2D tress consist of two parts, the vertical plane which is two intersecting polys and the horizontal which forms the canopy providing density from above. Combining the two is how they get good frame rates whist drawing trees twice as far as MSFS can (on my system at least) without compromising performance. It is as you say pros and cons.

But I think the trees in MSFS have got worse over time too. They used to be rather better unless my memory is deceiving me, less pixelated and more detailed.

The dull lighting very much reminds me of FSX, and the new life that was injected due to the ENB Bloom mod for FSX. People can complain MSFS is too “oversaturated,” and in some scenarios it can be, but flying into the sun with clouds or haze can be quite “oversaturated” in real life was well. There’s a reason pilots use sunglasses.

2 Likes

They will eventually revise most of the lower altitude\the ground aspect, Jorg said they need improvement everywhere on these area (he even talk about HD technologie). If you see Fuel\Plague tails from Asobo, trees are moving naturally by branch, detailed and superior stuff then msfs on ground, but that it due of performance reason restriction probably. With time hardware improve and change, MSFS will get another batch of overall graphics improvement where it need, they will not stop there.

2 Likes

Around 1:36:35 in the Youtube video below you start to see the sun shining right through an otherwise enclosed cockpit onto the displays. This expands your point and others here why people perceive oversaturation. When you have Asobo properly modeling an enclosed cockpit where light can’t shine through just like in the real world your eyes will have to adjust when looking outside. That’s why calling this sim a game is a problem. Real aspects modeled in the sim gamers and non-pilots can’t get behind. Again to you point this is why pilots need sunglasses in the cockpit at various times and surely looking down in the darkened cockpit and back up your eyes will need to adjust briefly and Asobo modeled that.

X-Plane 12 ATC Overview | Zibo 737 Mod | Full Flight - YouTube

2 Likes

So much negativity regarding Xplane 12. But ofcourse that is to be expected since this thread has now become a ■■■■■■■■■■.

Xplane 12 looks better than MSFS. I am not talking about the scenery. The lighting, colors and the overall dynamic range is just straight up better. Msfs suffers from over vibrant and often washed out look.

Now msfs definitely kills Xplane 12 in the scenery department but an overhaul of the scenery is coming soon. Then if you have the space, orthos can provide a huge leap in this area.

Xplane 12 and MSFS can coexist. Do know this that competition is always healthy. Lots of people here actually want Xplane to fail. Why the hate ? Did you also throw such tantrums when MSFS was launched in its Alpha state ?

Xplane 12 is going to improve. This is literally early access. Give them time. Meanwhile you can enjoy MSFS. No one is stopping you.

3 Likes

And I kind of get it. Years years ago, I played Everquest, then Everquest II. Then World of Warcraft came out. The whole community was bashing about how cartoony the graphics were, etc etc etc. I really didn’t know much about WOW, but just all what the community said about it, how bitterly against it they were, I just got a very bad impression of it, and didn’t want to try it. It wasn’t based off of anything valid, or any research. It was just based off the emotions of everyone I was surrounded by feeding off on me.

Well, years later, the population of both Everquest and Everquest II dropped so low, I decided to give WOW a try. And I loved it, and ended up playing 8 years.

As long as you have vocal steadfast followers, they will influence a portion of the population.

A reminder:

This forum is to discuss MSFS. We’ve allowed this topic to remain open. Stay on-topic of the title. All other posts will be deleted.

2 Likes

A very interesting point of view. When I am back home I will, as promised, make side by side screen shots to be able to somewhat objectively compare this.

Could you kindly do the same, and enlighten me what makes you make your statement so baldly?

A few posts above you a rl pilot states the opposite. I am therefore really interested what makes you say what you say.

4 Likes

Users of existant xplane are saying this and pilot included on the net, why you are saying this. I would add the clouds are very basic from early 2000 erra, outside scenery. Xplane 11 with some add-ons, nothing more. The lightning are not better, just different and often dull. Before it will get improved will take several years, they are small team with much small budget, niche audience, slow progress. They even said weather will take another version to improve it.

1 Like

Tre flightsim subreddit is full of comparison images, but I don’t understand how someone can see these two examples and feel as though X-Plane has superior lighting than MSFS. I suppose everyone has their own opinion, but some of these image comparisons speak for themselves about which lighting is better modeled.

5 Likes

X-Plane can’t compete, even the few graphical improvements are meh.
You guys know Ray tracing is confirmed for MSFS by Sebastian right?
Which means we’ll have ray traced global illumination likely, which will up lighting realism even more.
And with DLSS and FSR here soon as well people can run those graphical intense features.

Also no need for 8TB of ZL18-19 ortho.
Bing maps get streamed at ZL18-19 with TLOD set to 400.
And don’t give me the x-planes physics bs.
Purely from a sim standpoint MSFS does these simulations in a more complex ways.
If airplane devs make use of this + CFD it will be a game changer.
Only thing MS needs to heavily work on is more cloud types and ground physics imo

5 Likes

Shadows off, false settings…

In the forum starting with A there are some cloud and weather threads with pictures that really don’t look bad.

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link here.

1 Like