Howmany Mbps Do I Need?

For many months I have been simming with FS2020 and enjoying the quality scenery. Recently, however, it has been giving me messages “My current bandwidth is too low to properly stream Photogrammetry data” and recommends that I turn it off. Furthermore, on occasions it get this, “Your connection had an issue with streaming data, you have been switched to offline mode” and the scenery is, not surprisingly, hopeless.
It seems that my wireless broadband service has deteriorated and I will take that up with Vodafone. I used to get 30+Mbps (that’s mega bits per second, not megabytes) and everything was fine. Now it’s half that speed, sometimes lower.
So the question is what bandwidth is needed for good scenery and what for photogrammetry?
I am running MSFS 1.25.9.0 and using Bing graphics.

2 Likes

I quite often see those same messages about bandwidth and photogrammetry. Usually just when flying low over it sightseeing. When I’m flying airliners I never get the message, so it probably depends on what you do. I have a 30MBPS fibre connection (not fast) it clocks in around 23MBPS range. It’s fine for most of what I use FS for.
The separate issue of connection drops I don’t think is bandwith related. They had a lot of those type issues going on for a while and I think it was server side. Not seeing them / experiencing them mas much now. So they must have fixed it (for now at least).
I think 30MBPS is fine apart from low passes over photogrammetry. Not ideal maybe, but not bad.

1 Like

They should tell us what the bandwidth should be. Your case is more difficult because you have a wireless wide area connection. Your bandwidth can be limited not only by the load on the service provider but also by the signal quality that can’t be assumed to be a constant as cellular towers can shift.

1 Like

Adobe needs to fix this. We don’t want to be switched to offline mode, especially when it appears to be caused by server-side issues.

Some photogrammetry areas seem to require more bandwidth than others. London is one of the most demanding, if not the most.

Adobe? You mean Asobo? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, my Android phone is dumb :wink:

The wonderful world of auto correct. :smiley:

This bandwidth issue is probably more a Microsoft issue than Asobo. But could be both. It does need to be optimized!

1 Like

We knew what H meant !,… We’re sitting in our old Adobe Hacienda as we write.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.