HOWTO: Creating Unmirored Liveries, or Ultra quality decals method

Brilliant topic! Thanks. It will help a lot of mirroring issues. Except for one major one still - there are aircraft which really do need a whole and unmirrored fuselage when the livery is asymmetric. Most especially military camouflage. The best example at the moment would be the WW2 German two-tone green splinter cam pattern that would grace the 1939 JU 52 model.

As an old dog, I am not sure if I have the time to learn new tricks, but this thread has got me going… thanks @mixMugs

Yes, this is a huge help! Great work!

Eagle skiner, i thinking it migt be possible to just Do a patch/decal for just The rear door, and maybe with a separate texture file to “Edit” just lika The other textures? It might work… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is also possible to change The taget texture file for the passenger door, either trough move The polygones (or what it is called?) on the texture map in uv Editing, for one of the existing fuselage texture Files, or by creating a New dds for it…
This works Great in Blender, but i Havent figgure out how to export The “Model” to work in msfs?

Tried to replace The LOD01 3d and .bin file in the Model folder (is Ther no LOD00?) with the edited one exported from blender, but aircraft Model seems to show up as “original” still with the mirrored textures ingame? Even tried replace all The LOD for the edoted same one with the same result.
Suspecting there is a fallback, or maybe a LOD00 “Hidden” somewhere? Also there is no Model.xml in The Model folder?

As you probbably can tell Im way out of my knowledege span here, but its also fun to learn… :wink:

Using this method, you would have to create new polygons with a new texture and put those “on top” of the existing door, there is currently no non-destructive way of importing/editing/saving MSFS models.

I highly recommend new readers of this thread to watch this YouTube-tutorial:

2 Likes

Hi! Have you created that yet?

Might be a little off topic, but how do you remove the excessive smoke effect from the tires when turning during taxi. This is present in the Mugz liveries but not on the newer ones.

Im trying to follow this tutorial, but at the end at node buils.js Im getting this error. Dont know why.

Where is the link for the exporter? can’t find it anywhere.

What happened to @adiboi8402 's video? I get a message saying that the Youtube account was deleted?

@mixMugz @adiboi8402 Hi guys, any chance we can view those tutorials on youtube for the decals on the Asobo planes?
thanks.

1 Like

@Grinde81 Hi there,
the video isn’t available. Any way you can share this?

Hi, sorry no, seems like the video has been removed.

I’m just guessing here, but it might be because MSFS is finally about to implement in-sim submodel-merging, making this method of “hacking” the original model obsolete in many ways.
Hoping to see updates on this very soon.

1 Like

Any chance you can show me the source of this news? I would like to know more details on the future method. Too bad, really. I was getting into it.
Thank you @Grinde81

Sure, this is from the SU9 update log:

Found this too:
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Asset_Creation/3D_Models/Submodel_Merging.htm

2 Likes

thank you @Grinde81

enable model merging and model attaching feature? okay…

Some info in the docs too, make sure to check that out. Not much to go with yet, but hopefully the SDK ill provide some examples.
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Asset_Creation/3D_Models/Submodel_Merging.htm

2 Likes

Thank you.

@Grinde81 @mixMugz Hi there, I wonder how to export my completed decals to a model? What are the settings to complete this job. I can see people doing this efficiently. Thanks.

Hello, is there a way a little easier since the time this was posted? I have a lot of trouble doing it on the 787. Is there another video tutorial other than the one that was deleted? I haven’t found any yet…

Hi.

The tutorial is missing how do you actually merge and export everything back into the sim. The mentioned video tutorial is deleted. So, is this a dead end? Is anybody even creating liveries this way?

Every other tutorial on the internet is talking about painting with brushes and placing texture decals, but nobody mentions the Asobo’s way, where they model a bunch of shapes over the aircraft skin to use as a color. Thanks.