HP G2, JUDDERS and STUTTERS, ALL SLIDERS LEFT

There is a widely differing amount of hardware out there running MSFS2020 in VR. There exist far more tutorials, some quite exhaustive, some bordering ridiculous in their complexity.
I have read most of them, have tuned my Rig by using guides that either exactly match or are close to my hardware specs. In some cases improvement has been possible but for the most part only one thing has become abundantly clear.:
Confusingly, just about everyone, even those with the same hardware specs get widely differing results.
Crucially, absolutely none fix stuttering/juddering in VR on the HP Reverb G2.

Iā€™m running an Intel Rig, 9900K CPU, nVidia 2080TI, 32GB Ram and the fastest Samsung SSD I could get at the time of the build. Both the CPU and GPU are liquid cooled, nothing is overclocked and the OS is Windows 11, latest build, as is the Video Driver.

I donā€™t bother running an FPS check, frankly it is not relevant. Playability or ā€˜smoothnessā€™ is the key to immersion and my research over the last 18 Months or so indicates that one doesnā€™t necessarily positively impact the other.

Using a baseline of ā€™ in Sim ā€™ VR, all sliders to the left and settings to Low or Off, with OpenXR scaling increased from 50 to 100% in 10% increments per session, with ā€™ in Sim ā€™ rendering increased from 50% to 100% in 10% increments for each session at a specific OpenXR setting. The following results were found:

At NO time, even with the most basic settings across the board, either with MR on or off, Hags etc on or off, Hyperthreading on or off has the G2 ever not stuttered or juddered its way through a Sim session.

At low altitude after takeoff, even the lowest settings will judder while looking around at an estimated 10 FPS until reaching about 3000 ft where I estimate 80% smooth play albeit with trees and terrain features still popping in every-time I look around. This is despite having the rolling cache to ULTRA.

The Sim, in VR, in fact acts like every previous version of MSFS ( 2D )insofar as every previous version juddered and stuttered no matter how ridiculous the hardware specs. ( ā– ā– ā– ā–  code?..In previous versions, yeah you bet. )

Some have reported good luck with DX12. Tried it, the Sim was unplayable in 2D at 1080 resolution, yielding about 5-10 FPS, same result in VR.

Others report good luck with MR, tried it, saw zero improvement, actually felt a little sick from the weird 1/2 second delay motion blurring and smearing while looking around.

The idea was to custom tune my rig by starting from an all settings to ā€™ min ā€™ state, running ā€™ smooth ā€™ and gradually build from there, graphically improving the state of the game until reaching the point it was no longer smooth.

As stated. In the lowest graphical setting possible, the sim in VR has never been smooth, therefore there is nothing to build on. I lose patience, quit for a Month, come back, read any updates, check yet more You Tube video, boot and mess around a bit, get irritated and quit again. Have done this for over 12 Months.

If anyone has a magic bullet I would truly be grateful.

Cheers.
Marc

I assume you have tried the OpenXR Toolkit?

I had the same experience with my G2 and 3080Ti.
There are improvements coming with SU10 and DLSS if you do not want OpenXR Toolkit in the mix.

I had nearly the same exact setup. I did upgrade to a 3080 ti.
What airport are you taking off from?
I ask only because I will try it out.
There is something wrong with your Pc.
When I ran the 2080ti I had very little stuttering.
Open XR toolkit improved things a lot.
The Beta 10 release made another huge improvement.
With your setup the G2/9900k/2080ti should work really good.

Airport Used for the test: KMKC // Kansas City Downtown. Day, clear skies. F-18 ( simplest cockpit. )
I normally fly the PMDG 737.
I use OpenXR but not the toolkit.

DCS Runs smooth as butter as does Half Life Alyx. The only add on aircraft are the CRJ and 737.

CPU and GPU temps show normal during test.
NVidia control panel set to 2 pre-rendered frames and prefer high performance to all other stock options.

TIA

Ok I just flew the F18 out of KMKC and there are no problems in that area. I would keep hags off. Run Dx11 only. For now you can set your Vr settings to default. Hyper threading was a joke. It does not matter. Overclocking will not get you much of anything on the 2080ti.
But this will make some big differencesā€¦
OpenXR scaling = 100
MR always on.

Install open xr toolkit.
There are a lot of settings if you have not played with it.
Upscaling NIS
anamorphic Off
Size 75%
sharpness 75
locked motion reprojection locked
Fixed foveated rendering Preset
Mode Performance
Pattern Wide
Exit menu go with 30seconds or more until you are experienced

Skip appearance tab for now

Skip Inputs tab unless you are using a Buttkicker.

System tab
Motion Reprojection.
Lock motion reprojection at 22 - 23 (what ever it lets you.)
This will get you started.

After you get Open xr toolkit running good. install the sim Update 10 Beta. It will use the DLSS feature of you 2080.

I flew over the Kansas City area at around 1000ft agl at 600knots and got maybe one or two stutters.

You should be able get better results that what you are experiencing.
Open xr tool kit should make a major improvement.
And sim update 10 beta makes a significant improvement also.
let me knowā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

have you tried BITSUMā€™s Process Lasso Pro ?

Uninstall and reinstall both the sim and everything to do with OpenXR and Windows Mixed Reality. Forget all these guides.

First, thanks for your help.
Iā€™ve been tinkering around with the OpenXR toolkit and the settings recommended by itā€™s developer. This has yielded a fairly smooth experience with only the occasional judder.
At least it is now useable to some extent.
Where is my 4090 nVidia??

Cheers.
Marc

Thats a good thingā€¦
Once you get the open xr toolkit to your liking install SU10 beta. You will see an additional marked improvement in graphic performance. I am seeing at least a 25% load reduction on the CPU.
I believe SU10 is a lot more than a ā€œbetaā€ . It has fixed several issues I had had (minor). I think the did the 1 month delay in its release to prevent getting hammered by complaints.

And yes the RTX 4090 will be amazing.

1 Like

That is not normal with those specs and settings.

I agree with the post above about reinstalling. Iā€™d probably try a clean install, perhaps even down to a windows reinstall or refresh.

Outside of a hardware issue I think that would clear the issue up.

The only time I see any stutters is when the VR session first starts. Sometimes it needs a about 10 seconds to settle down.

On rare occasion I do have a bad sim launch for some mysterious reason.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.