HP Reverb G2: Does anyone have a system that does NOT CrashToDesktop?

Some CTDs after a flight returning to main menu but, once loaded in a flight in VR, I never get a CTD, even for 4+ hours flying.

Reverb G2, i9 10850K, 32GB 3200 memory, 3080, SSD, Thrustmaster T.16000M flight kit, no overclocking, latest nVidia drivers, Repro off, OXR 75%, FS SS 100%, most VR settings high, a couple at Ultra, giving 25-35 FPS.

I can get a ctd pretty consistently by alt tabbing in and out of vr. That seems to be the main cause of my ctd.

I5 9600k
2070 super any driver.
32gb Ram

I was getting CTDs and WMR reporting Headset Asleep. Used new switch in Windows to set screen saver to ā€œNeverā€. Seemed to stop CTDs.

With Reprojection on Auto in OXR, getting odd visual effects, mainly looking through propeller. Otherwise all smooth and good visuals. Not concerned with FPS.

Also check which USB you are plugged into ā€“ I found using one directly on MoBo eliminated some CTDs, I think?

And reading some of the other posts here, server access might be playing a part as well. Iā€™m running with 30Gb local cache. Not sure if that helps at all.

Its an arduous journey to just get the settings right for your rig but itā€™s worth it. Flying from Charles DeGaulle at dawn yesterday and incredible visuals with sunrise painting clouds pink. Flying away from sun, shadows of my aircraft (Club Crafter) appeared on the propeller disc, moving with the change in direction ā€“ cool!

My Settings -
ROG Strix Z490_E
i9- 10900K OC 5.1Ghz (43%)
NZXT Liquid cooling
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb RAM
Nvidia RTX 3090 OC
Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Samsung NVMe 970 1T

Reverb G2

OXR 100 / Latest Preview ON / Motion Reprojection AUTO

MSFS
Render Scale 100 / Terrain LOD 120
Terrain Vector / Buildings / Trees / Grass / All High
Objects LOD 120 / Volume Clouds Ultra
Texture Resolution High / Anisotropic Filtering 4X
Texture Supersample 2x2 / Texture Synthesis / Water Waves High / Shadow Maps 768
Terrain Shadows 128
Contact Shadows / Windshield Medium
Ambient Occlusion / Reflections Low
Light Shafts Medium / Bloom Off
Glass Cockpit Refresh High.
Real Weather ON / Photogrammetry OFF
Real World Traffic Off (switched it on and CTD)
Traffic Settings all LOW / Activity Settings All LOW

I have constant and consistent CTDs using Reverb G2 in MF2020. Iā€™m running AMD 6800. Itā€™s the AMD cards with Reverb G2 that crashes constantly and only in MF2020 (other games work fine in VR). Other cards, systems donā€™t have this problem. Not sure what the fix is yet if there is one.

2 Likes

No CTDs while in VR for me, once I dialed in the stable CUP/RAM/GPU oveclock. I had frequent CTD while building airports, but thatā€™s the SDK. I donā€™t think I had a single VR flight interrupted by CTD yet.

no ctds here

I710700F
GTX 1070
32 Gig RAM
Reverb G2

Yes constant CTD after WU 3 rarely finish a flight
Fresh install of windows nothing else on drive, MSFS Low to Med settings
MSFS Render Scale 100% - OpenXr 50%

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Rx6800xt
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus
SSD. M.2 Nvme
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600
PSU: EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W
VR: Reverb G2

@SeaTownKid12 Yep similar setup and constant CTD

Looks like 99% of AMD cards using vr CTD and 1% for Nvidia

2 Likes

G2/RTX3070/B550/5600x - no more than 3 CTDā€™s since last year during sim launching/flight loading, zero in game CTDā€™s. Itā€™s not an issue for me at all.

My sim has crashed maybe 8-10 times since i got my Reverb G2 in December, most of the times when I entered VR mode before a flight. I use the sim almost daily, so not a gamebreaking issue for me really.

G2 with 9700K at 5ghz, 32GB ram and a 3090. Before the 3090 I had a 2808Ti and the only ctdā€™s I experienced were when I tried overclocking the 2080Ti. Other than that itā€™s been rock solid.

@Beulah6126 please include the quest 2 so all of us using it and the 6000 series wonā€™t need to start another thread.

Also no CTDs hereā€¦similar machine with 10900k, 3090, G2, Samsung m.2 SSD and 64gig ram, Win10 with all system updates on every piece of the machine. Only few freezes here and there when switching between landing challenges a lotā€¦but mostly w/o problems :wink:

Me too, no CTDs in VR with G2, 9700, 2070S, 32GB ram, m.2, Win10. Last CTDs I had a long time ago last year with my old 970 graphics card, i5 processor and 8GB ram, when VR was only a distant fantasy.

Think Iā€™ve had maybe two ctd during flights in over 900 hours.
Had plenty of ctd entering vr, my sim will lock itself once loaded up and its hit and miss if I can select fly now or it ctd.

G2
Amd 3 3700x
Asrock phantom gaming 4

Thanks for all your contributions to my question: ā€œDoes anyone have a system that does NOT crashā€.
It turned out that most of the stable systems run on Nvidia Cards.
Result:
I sold my AMD 6800 XT (for a little more than what I payed in January!) and got a 3080ti instead. Just finished my first flight with the new card and: Oh boy! It is niiiice! No crash, super smooth framerate, etc.
So: The AMD 6800 XT is a nice card, but not for MSFS2020 and HP Reverb G2ā€¦ If you are into VR and have a top AMD card: Sell it as long as you still get some decent $$ for it and get a 3080tiā€¦

2 Likes

I had a 4690k with an amd 6800 and was plagued by ctd from 5 to 30 min into a game.
I have built a new system with a 10700k and 2 of 16gb ram running at 2400 in an MSI Z490 A pro with the same amd powercolor 6800 that I had in the previous system.
I have had only one crash and that was with the latest 21.7.1 driver.
I went back to the 21.3.1 driver and have had a week without crashes and flights of 30 to 45 minutes.
I am using a reverb G2.
So for me the crashes were related to my old system. I thought it was stable but I have everything in the new system at standard settings no XMP no cpu overclock and it works so maybe the old system wasn,t stable??
I hope this doesnā€™t jinx me.

Extremely rarely. Like maybe once every 2 months, and I play regularly

I used to get a lot of crashes, but they completely went away a few months ago. Iā€™ve been completely stable since then.

HP Reverb G2
Ryzen 5 3600X
Radeon RX 5700 XT
B450 Tomahawk Max
32gb 3600 ram
850w PSU