HP Reverb G2 VR Headset - Bad News for AMD Motherboard Users - Error Code: 1-8

Or, because the issue exists with amd mb and nvidea gpu as well as intel mb and amd gpu, that it’s actually the only shared component, the g2 rather than a separate issue

Tried two separate PCI-e USB 3 host cards, one that multiple x570 users reported fixed their problem, but still error 4-1 here

This actually fixed my ethernet, but not my G2

I tried disconnecting the audio stalks which was suggested in another thread about the G1. A long shot, but my audio was disconnecting before the unit failed. That didn’t work either.

I put in requests to return or RMA with both the Connection distributor and HP, and am still waiting to hear back from both.

Not super impressed here. It’s one thing to pay $60 for an early access game, but $600 for flakey hardware is another.

I purchased the recommended USB Hub for the workaround fix. Only worked for 30 minutes and my computer decided to run the 1-8 Error Code again…

Starting to think, do I replace my motherboard? Or do I sell my Reverb G2? Do I keep waiting?

Is this something that can be fixed with a WMR update? Or perhaps a AMD BIOS update?

Do you have a mixture of blue and red USB ports on the back of your motherboard? Reverb G2 needs to be plugged into a blue (USB 3.1 gen 1), not a red (USB 3.2 gen 2) port.

I had to go buy a USB hub from best buy. Then I figured this out, now I don’t need a USB hub for my AMD motherboard.

2 Likes

RMA it under the manufacturer warranty. The unit itself could be bad, so selling it to someone is like passing off a lemon.

A seperate USB card drains even more PCI express lane bandwith, try to use the monitor once if you have LG gaming monitor with integrated USB… this even stablizes my setting much more than anything.

On the other hand sometimes FS2020 crashes the entire PSU which shuts off sometimes and sometimes not… it’s reproduceable only in FS and under heavy load…

I asked my supplier to send me 1000W psu.

Checking this…

Don’t loose faith yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/l25wct/hp_microsoft_here/gk3ho7t/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like

Also Prime x470 Pro latest bios, I had to plug it into the usb c for three times until G2 was functioning.

Everything works now, yeaaaaah!!

You need a 1000W PSU thats it finally with 3090 OC.

Hello Fellow Flyers,

Confirmed fix for the GIGABYTE X570 UD motherboard!
BIOS update version F33a now allows me to use my HP Reverb Headset.

Tested/restarted PC twice to confirm it works. So far so good, fingers crossed for continuation.

Side note: MSFS looks absolutely beautiful as compared to Samsung Odyssey+

1 Like

And three hours later, I am back to Error Code 7 -14 …
:laughing: :laughing:

Apparently that BIOS update was not the official fix.

Im using the G2 on a Asus Rog Strix x570 - F

Provided I use the headers that connect to the computer case (not the motherboard rear built-in ports) the headset works flawlessly. I’m using a bios from late 2020

I have a G2 as well with Asus X570 Gaming pro motherboard. None of the mb usb ports will work with it. Luckily it works with my case’s front panel usb 3.0 ports.

Search reddit for ‘reverb g2 x570 usb’, some people had luck with either external usb 3.0 hub or internal pcie usb 3.0 hub card.

Getting the G2 to work with FS2020 is worth it for the visual clarity over older headsets like rift-s.

Same issue here with an Asus ROG Crosshair Hero (WiFi) motherboard. G2 works fine when plugged into the USB-C port on my 2080S graphics card, but not when connected to any of the USB ports on the backplane of the motherboard, or either of the two front panel connectors. In the end, I believe I have solved the problem (i.e. it is now working, but need to check over a few days to be sure). I put all the other USB devices onto a separate row of USB ports, and so the G2 is the only device plugged into its row of USB connectors. I also plugged it into a blue USB connector, not one of the USB 3.2 red connectors. It was then detected without issues. I suspect it doesn’t like either the faster standard, or sharing a hub with other devices.

15 days since I thought I had a working BIOS fix. The struggle is real. Pretty please AMD, push out those BIOS updates before HP comes out with a new headset :upside_down_face:

Well, however this is really frustrating and more than that , just spend over 4000EU for a new pc and needing to play around buying additional pci cards , usb hub (didn´t work) , using external earphones, updating !! What is this?? G2 cost over 600 EU I expect AMD and HP to f… solve this!! and not expecting the customer to play around and be the stupid tester till it works!!! Yes , VR is amazing and yes MSFS in Vr too but its not worth nothing if you fly in full inmersion 2 h in FSeconom and just before you land you have sudden Sound stutters, Blue screen on you VR vieuw and maybe you have luck and returns back to vR or not crash, bye, bye… Lets try some new usb …
I PAID 4700 EU for all that !!! i dont want to buy a try new usb hubs till it works… HP Solve that or put an extra working Pci card or what ever in the box … !!! and to say …oh its only AMD Users its not an excuse … Thera are only TWO in the PC World INTEL and AMD MAKE IT WORK FOR BOTH !!!

1 Like

I have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro motherboard (BIOS version F31) with a Gigabyte AORUS P850W 80+ GOLD power supply, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200 memory and a Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming OC graphics card. Windows 10 Home version 20H2 and Radeon software version 21.1.1. I have connected the USB cable of my HP Reverb G2 to the USB-C port at the back of my motherbord and haven’t had any problems with it sofar. I enjoy playing MSFS 2020 in VR very much. It’s just amazing! I must admit that it took me quit some time to get the right configuration. At the moment I use OpenXR at 50% Custom Render Scale and 100% render scaling (rendering resolution 2232X2184) in MSFS, GPU load is around 75-80%. Personaly I think everyting inside cockpit is sharp enough. By the way, I fly mainly Daher TMB 930 at the moment. I can use OpenXR 100% and MSFS 100% but then even my top end graphics card has a hard time and the fans realy get loud, GPU load is around 100%. If a really want to play OpenXR 100% and MSFS 100% I use the Radeon Chill function to limit the FPS to 30FPS. That way GPU load stays around 75-80% and the fans don’t get too loud.

My Gigabyte X570 UD just came out with a new BIOS update F33c. Instant Error Code 7-14…
Thanks for all the support. Until next time.

1 Like

Tried everything suggested, still having those disconects… Bios switched to Gen 3, new external USB hub, two new Pci Cards… When you have this “Disconnect” after a 3 hour Flight just before you land , you are just about to burn that G2 Headset with Fuel in your PC Room … That USB port doesn`t work anymore ??? You have to restart your computer and use another USB Port ( as i have now 2 PCicards and one new external Usb Hub i try with another one (till next time … )
HP tells us (officially !) to “just” (crawl) behind your computer and "just " disconnect all your USB connection once , Restart your computer , than it will work again (…for a while… )
I am definitly not going to crawl behind my computer after not beeing able to land or having a “DISCO” in the middle of an Combat Air Dogfight ( IL2 Sturmovik) … !!!