Huge reduction in sharpness after last update - Film Grain -

First time flying since the last world update. The quality of the visuals has really plummeted. Everything has this really nasty film grain look to it. My settings are the same as before. I also took a massive frame rate drop (>10fps) in the areas I normally fly.

Dropping quality (Ultra to high-end) doesn’t help this grainy/crappy texture look or frame rates like it should.

This known?

Not to me. But seeing I can’t see what you see I can’t offer any ideas either except for the obvious like, settings and internet connectivity.

1 Like

I don’t have that issue this time round. Did you make any changes to your usercfg and lock it before the update by chance?

The other suggestion I have is to make sure that the DOF is the way you want it. Finallly, are you using Nvidia freestyle? Sometimes I forget to go in there and make changes after updates too.

No Issues here, as said before can be a driver setting.

Did you make any changes to your usercfg and lock it before the update by chance?

Not at all familiar with this, but very interested in knowing more. Settings are the first thing I check after an update as something always changes… flight model, camera positions, language settings, data cache settings or even losing profiles (That one, thank god, hasn’t happened for a while) so I always do a run through EVERYTHING before the first run after an update. For graphics, always run Ultra, and everything looked OKAY / My default settings. Cycled it back and forth looks the same. Never made any custom adjustments.

Nvidia freestyle?

Don’t use this, not enabled.

I have is to make sure that the DOF is the way you want it

Defaults to 100 on Ultra, kept it that way. >100 really craters frame rate (1080ti) and below you get fuzzy too much in the distance. I’ll get a screenshot later, if still present after a driver wipes and reinstall. But all the textures in the cockpit look like a movie/film grain effect has been applied. Utilization of GPU is low as well (<80%) and CPU is asleep like it normally is, meaning the typical 10% utilization I see historically during flight. (3900x | 1080TI) The low GPU utilization has me worried regarding frame rate. Typically runs 95% or so, and I get 40 - 45 fps @ 1440P flying bush / rural area. Tonight I was seen sub 30 to 35 max which is abnormal for the areas I fly, clear weather.

It would help if you’d post a screenshot and you highlight/circle exactly the issues you’re noticing.

1 Like

It was everything, lighting, textures, reflections… but yes, I agree. No time tonight, will do it tomorrow after work.

1 Like

Same here.
In particular the frame rate is now terrible (less than 10 fps) despite the CPU and GPU have low usage. What’s happening ?

A bit off topic, but it looks like they fixed the V Sync in the update as before I noticed no difference with V Sync off or on, but now if I don’t use it I get awful tearing when panning views.

I also get the feeling that with each update, we are losing some clarity and sharpness in textures as if MS are reducing the visuals to increase performance FPS and reduce stuttering for those who don’t know how to set up their graphics software.

I always read such statements after each update, but there’s hardly any proof.
If every update degraded quality as much as some report, we should be below FSX level by now.

Please show screenshots, better comparisons, instead of relying on a feeling. This doesn’t bring us forward.

I for one don’t see any difference apart from the vsync (without it now the screen tearing is visible, as expected) and the reduced pixelation of clouds but at the same time introduced bright outlines around objects. All of that is known and proven and partially be solved with the upcoming SU3.

Difficult to post ‘before’ screenshots as I don’t have the psychic powers to predict what downgrades an update might produce.

I’m sure textures in the distance are not as sharp as they were, especially in the forward view. This can make VFR flying a little tricky.

Don’t you make any screenshots? Just try to reproduce older screenshots now and you have a proper comparison. No need for psychic powers.
As I said, after each update people write exactly the same stuff (LOD decreased, sharpness decreased, textures worse,…) but noone shows any proof of that happening except for some old releases like the reflection changes or the tree size/density which was easily proven by screenshots before/after.

Can’t confirm on my side. Looks just like before to me. Are you sure you’re comparing the same situation and not just flying at a different area? Also daylight and cloud coverage may change contrast resulting in less details/sharpness perception.

1 Like

Nuked Nvidia drivers. (hard removal) re-installed. no more film grain, frame rate back to normal.

This, honestly, is a first for me. My other titles were running normally.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.