I deleted MSFS2020 from my computer. I’m done

I’m just bored with it. The thrill is gone, and it’s hard to go back to X-plane after being in the new sim with the lovely trees, autogen and lighting. So I just found other things to do instead.

What will get me to love the sim? My immersion-loving wishlist includes: Getting rid of blurry terrain textures, improving visuals with trees from a distance and improving the general cloudscape and storms (they look okay considering they’re so new to us, but they could be a LOT better).

Imagery over much of where I fly is awful- it’s a Bing thing. They were my least-favorite source to use for Orthos in X-plane to be honest. Photogammetry is still in its infancy, so that doesn’t look the greatest, and I can drone on and on, but I digress…

I like the sim. It passes the time. But, I don’t love it, and I doubt I can for a little while yet. So, I play around for a little bit and then move on to other things.

16 Likes

this isnt the first flight sim where ive been left thinking “are we playing the same game?” . people with near identical systems can have polar opposite experiences, weird

2 Likes

I personally can’t stand the trees. Even though I get it. They save a ton of render resources being 2d paper thin and look great from higher altitudes.
Not asking for full 3d rendered tree branches and trunks either but I thought we were over 2D tree sprite tech with the old sims🤣
As for clouds they still look overexaggerated to me and cottonballish.
The roads and rivers need better tessellation also rivers need ravine elevation and roads need more texture and to not look like rivers🤣
Other than that its a beautiful sim and VFR flying now has a greater feeling of presence as you can recall flying past certain areas and they have their own mood and character to remember.
Not looking at repetitive autogen like XP11…where South America looks exactly like Central Asia.:unamused:

1 Like

Like I always say, the most consistent thing about MSFS is how inconsistent the experience is from user to user.

12 Likes

I’m sorry to see FS2020 was such a disappointment to some. I find it so strange that I’m running a i5-7400 with an msi rtx 2060 super and 28gB of ram and have very few performance issues… and you have this beautiful rig that struggles… it makes no sense to me

4 Likes

Ok…dont let the computer kick you in the butt…I have a 6 yr old AMD FX-8350 Chip…no performance issues…I guess I am just lucky…no add-ons except WT CJ4

3 Likes

I see it a lot.in DCS too. Perhaps the same in IL2 as well, but i dont follow that forum closely

I have way less than that and my experience is amazing. There are minor bugs here and there but with good tweaking it runs seamlessly. I currently am using the Lenovo legion Y 545 laptop which is a medium grade gaming PC. I’m running Microsoft flight simulator 2020 In VR and have a smooth as glass experience. Are used some tweaks that I found online through VRFlightsimguy and have had amazing results.

3 Likes

I have to agree with you. Nvidia has this program called GeForce experience and they set the graphics in the game to a preset “optimized “ setting for your computer. Some things are low… medium… high… and Ultra on mine… depending on what the GeForce Experience came up with… I fly on those settings. Overall, a great experience, beautiful details… good performance… with the occasional stutter over London or the like.

Not true at all. Intel chipset drivers…check. Nvidia drivers…check. It is not the drivers. It is the game code. It is vastly degraded since launch. Deny it if you wanna, but denying it doesn’t make it less true. I am not trying to attack you, but the drivers are not the culprit.

11 Likes

Just downgrade to a 1080ti 8700k and get 30fps for 20% of the cost.

3 Likes

I also cant understand why so many people are having issues with the sim. I run a water cooled I7-4790 CPU 3.60 GHZ, GTX 1660 Super on a Asus Maximus VII Gene mother board with out any issues. I am hooked-up to an LG 4K tv running 4K resolution. CPU downscaled to run at 2K at High settings with no issues either. I have a bunch of mods installed and all run well except for ORBX London City Pack which created minor problems. Other than that could not be happier with my setup and am not considering upgrading to a performance machine in the near future. I wish everyone could have the same experience as I knowing their machines are way more superior than what I currently use. Happy Flying.

5 Likes

I’m seriously not upgrading anytime soon from this combo.
I feel the sim can be optimized even more to squeeze more performance out of this combo.
Its still a beastly combo in 2021 especially coupled with 32GB of overclocked RAM

3 Likes

I’ve seen multiple reports of the sim running better on older drivers (specifically GPU drivers). The newest might not always be the best.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I have now- and I’m right at the edge of settings/vs performance to my liking. I’m definitely going to upgrade but probably in stages when the GPU market starts to cool off a bit. Maybe next month I’ll get the 5800x and go from there.

1 Like

I havent started MSFS since months, but did todayto see how it has evolved. Performance wise its definitely a step forward, especially in the A320 that barely could get 30fps before.
Still strange that neither my GPU and CPU are used to theirfull potential, but at least 30+ FPS at big3rd party airports.
i7-9700k / 2080Ti btw

Lets wait for DX12 and we will hopefullysee another performance improvement.

1 Like

Sorry but could I use this comment as an example of what irritates me most about lots of comments on these forums. Why would I want to bother to look at what temperature I am getting as long as the sim runs.

1 Like

No reason at all:

"Ignorance is Bliss"  

so

"If it ain't broke - don't fix it"

because

"You can't make a silk purse, out of a Sow's ear"
6 Likes

Sounds like people have cooling problems and improper overclocking of their CPUs. I have my I9900KF overclocked to 4.8Ghz and my Corsair cooler never lets it exceed 60C and my 2080S has my frame rates in the properly optimized aircraft (like A320) running at 50-60fps on high/ultra. Sounds like you have bad drivers and/or didnt properly overclock your CPU. The issue is many people think a better GPU will fix their FPS problems when for MSFS it is how well your CPU is cooled and/or properly overclocked that will determine your performance.

4 Likes

I’ve got a Ryzen 9 3900x. RTX2060, 32gb ram. I run mostly high settings, with a few ultras thrown in for effect. Funny that the sim runs better and more reliably on my multi-purpose, dual-boot, mid-spec box than dedicated high-end machines. I must be a a freakin’ genius… nah, that’s not it.

I’m amazed that people are expecting real-time render-farm-quality graphics at +90fps from a PC. This sim looks better than anything else out there. The planes I fly “feel” right. It seems to be a reasonable and convincing representation of what real flight is like. It runs on average hardware and it’s affordable.

I’m no Microsoft fan, but they hit it out of the park with this. It’s the coolest and most complex software I own.

4 Likes