I deleted MSFS2020 from my computer. I’m done

Are you saying that feeding the world to tens of thousands of ultra-resolution-hungry simmers at the same time through Azure could be one of the issues?
Is there a way in which we could take out that variable? Are we able to download an area into our cache and run the sim without Azure to test if running locally doesn’t give the stutters?
And could stutter annoyance be mindset-related? Some people fly for an hour and experience four stutters and don’t mind, thinking it must be related to the loading time of a new tile or so. Others feel that these same four stutters really breaks their sense of immersion and go to the forum to ventilate their frustration.
We don’t know really what we can expect from the game. Some people say it’s a post SU3 thing. We don’t know for sure. Maybe a lot of people got FS for Christmas which could have doubled the simming community, increasing the load on the servers.
What I am trying to say is: could we come up with a simple yet effective testing strategy to neutralize as many variables as possible to be able to compare and pin point issues.

4 Likes

No, just enjoy it now, today :grinning:. Like many people seem to do. Why not? Facts, not emotion, please.

1 Like

I just love that one :rofl:.

Yes… I would have said that’s a possibility but stuttering doesn’t stop even when all online services are disabled. And when I say stuttering I don’t mean an occasional glitch, which would be heaven compared to what it is now. When I say stuttering, I mean constant micro stutter, which you don’t see in other games and didn’t see in FSX etc… This stutter totally ruins immersion and many think it’s a framerate issue which it is not. It’s visible even at altitude with 50 FPS visible on the counter.

And I agree we should collaborate to try to iron out what is causing it, but from my own testing, it isn’t the cloud. That actually causes a proper stutter which you describe as scenery loads in if the connection speed is poor.

I have tried any number of settings and tweaks, nothing works to get rid of this stutter, which by the way is exacerbated by the A32NX mod but is also present in vanilla.

I have also noticed that, counterintuitively, increasing the render resolution slightly higher than native, helps but doesn’t eliminate and increasing further results in actual performance degradation.

My suspicion, with no evidence to back it up, just observing how and what is going on, is that this is likely to do with how this program gets executed by the CPU and may have to do with some older code still being used from potentially fsx, which probably was designed for the age of fast single cores and not multithreaded loads. And contrary to popular opinion fs2020 does utilize more than a single thread.

But again this is speculation, I have neither the instruments nor the skillset to test further.

But as you say I totally agree. Wish we could get together and understand what is causing this.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, I just don’t look at frame rate numbers.

2 Likes

Frustrating because everything was great performance wise pre SU3, but they really borked something with that update…

1 Like

Thanks for posting. We have @TemperedPaper48 here, who asked in another topic where this stuttering was visible. People reacting to his post said: it’s right there, in your screen shot. You suffer from stuttering, bigly! They pointed to some graph in the screen shot which showed irregularities. TP just said: yes, but I don’t SEE the stutters when I am flying. He says it runs smoothly, from a visual stand point. Maybe not from a technical performance graph stand point. But he doesn’t care. He just flies the world!

3 Likes

Thanks you GhostlyFrend. As I said I don’t care about some little black lines in the FR screen shot I posted. As long as it is flying smoothly to my eyes and not to some program, then I am happy… Of now to fly around South America.

1 Like

I usually fire up MSFS only after a fresh PC boot. If launched after having used other apps such as XP or DCS I get big stutters and low fps. Maybe it wants the RAM/VRAM all available.
I710700 GTX1080Ti 32GB.

Understand your frustration…it still has a long way to go…maybe Asobo just don’t have the talent to bring this game up to the pre release advertised experience.
I keep it on my system and have a check on it every now and then. But P3D V5 does me…as you said not as pretty but at least you can fly on
a stable platform, and the system aircraft work.

1 Like

I think this sim is great, I don’t get butter smooth flying, I don’t get that in X-Plane either but you know what, I don’t care, I get reasonable flights most of the time with the odd stutter, frame rates from teens to 70+, mostly fly GA as they’re easier and less stressful than tubes and give better performance, I will fly the big guns now again and don’t have too bad a time of it.

Overall this is hands down the best flight simulator I have ever used, visually it is stunning and technically it is still young but flyable.

Just perceiver and give this sim time to grow, remember X-Plane has been around for years and it ain’t perfect , MSFS hasn’t been around a year yet.

3 Likes

I have similar specs to original post

I run at 4K fully ultra, with sliders at 200, I average 30 to 40 FPS

i9 10850K
32GB ddr4 @ 32000mhz
Rtx 3080
Broadband @ 60mbps

And in general I have a very good experience, been flight simming for 10 + years and this is by far the best experience I have ever had, the only thing I might do over time is to upgrade to 64GB ram @ 3600mhz and utilise ram cache, as I feel that could stop the pop ins

But as far as FPS goes, this is not a shooter guys we don’t need to be getting 144fps to match our display hertz, 30 FPS in any flight simulator is good enough, I actually remember reading a article long ago, that real world motion training simulator has to achieve 30FPS

Everybody is obviously entitled to there own opinion, it sometimes baffles me how you read these stories, but have never suffered any of these issues

I was getting 40fps at Heathrow on a 9900K & 1080 @ 1080p/Ultra. Not sure why OP cannot.

I do kinda look at this a different way.

I used to fly on a Lenovo laptop on low (and some medium) settings. I got around 20fps flying GA aircraft. For me this experience was absolutely fine.

I was lucky to be able to build a i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32GB 3300 ram, a 3070 Eagle GPU, and a 1TB M2 drive. Display wise I have 2x 27" LG monitors at 2560x1440.
I now have everything on ultra settings and have the sim running at anywhere between 35 - 60fps.

This is obviously a step change in what I am used to from the laptop so this probably accounts to some of my feeling about the matter. I do see the occasional laggy bit but it doesn’t bother me, I just wait for it to stabilise. I used to have the Nvidia fps overlay in the bottom right but I was watching that more than enjoying the sim - I now do not monitor any fps and its amazing the difference to my overall enjoyment!

Internet connection I get 296Mbps Down and 27Mbps Up. Windows wise I am running Windows 10 Home 20H2. Nvidia driver 465.89.

Mods wise. I have:

• All Working Title Mods
  • GNS-530
  • G36 improvement project + repaints
  • Just Flight Arrow
  • WT CJ4
  • Global Ship traffic
  • EGHQ Newquay Airport
  • EGTE Exeter Airport
  • New Zealand Milford Sound

I see so many of these I’m leaving, I have low frames posts it does get a little repetitive; however the developer in me would love to help narrow this down as there is some issues with some people and not with others. Perhaps we need to collate a series of tests and computer specs? I might try pulling together a Google spreadsheet we can all add too if there is any interest?

My personal feeling is it may be related to network connectivity, both users bandwidth, and the read/write speeds of drives as this is the most fluctuating aspect. Although there is no evidence to back this theory up.

Matt

2 Likes

What settings do you have the sim on? I have an RTX 3070 settings on High End running on a 4K monitor and am getting 30-40fps. Just curious what the difference could be as you should be getting better performance than me.

I actually don’t think they have the talent to get it back up to the standard it WAS when it was released, let alone what they told us it was going to be.

They must have completely fluked the initial release because it’s been severely downhill from there.

1 Like

What people tend to miss is the fact that there are so many variables at play here. There are so many variations in hardware and graphics settings that just pointing out what graphics card and processor you have isn’t enough information for a fair comparison. Even running on a 4K monitor as opposed to a 1080p can have a massive impact on performance. Someone with an RTX3090 might get worse performance than someone with an RTX3070 for example but this isn’t enough information to understand the reason. The 3090 user might be running at 4K Ultra as opposed to the 3070 user running at 1080p on Medium. And this isn’t even considering the countless other settings for example internet speed, graphics card settings, etc.

As soon as I saw the beta release date to be like 2 weeks I knew what was coming. They had a long Alpha test period and then, showed it in Beta and then done!

The performance degradation over time is what most people slowly start getting fed up with. Making this sim with frequent updates is a good idea but the updates involve things that should have been in there in the first place. I am not talking about scenary updates. Quite serious stuff being “fixed” long after the release date and on top of that resources are placed on scenary updates instead of just take one big effort to iron out things with the core sim.

But that is not my decision to make and they have clearly showed that they are happy with the overall status of the sim. Otherwise we would have seen patches to fix or add core funcutionality.

I have given this sim one year, and september is coming up. If we have a continual downward slope in terms of perfomance with my current hardware then I will throw in the towel after 12 months.

1 Like

The A-team must be working on XBOX, those bringing out the buggy updates since release could not have built this sim.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I’m back on xplane and p3d. No matter how powerful your machine is, this sim refuses to run efficiently. After it got to the point where, it was 40 fps at start of a flight, then 2 hours later it went down to 3 fps and then my screen went black… literally with the windows prompt. Seeing this, I have had it. I’m off this sim and back on the shelf now. I tried everything on this forum, youtube tips, private emails etc. Hopeless. And yet many other programs run so well on my pc! This is the only one that has issues. I mean, 24 hrs to reinstall on my super fast broadband fibre? Reinstalling my windows for this sim? Is it worth it? A resounding NO!!!
THIS SIM NEEDS WORK…AND TIME.
pretty scenery means nothing if you can’t fly smoothly. Thank god I have alternatives.
This sim is a system destroyer, for now. its not fully optimized yet…I want my pc to last, as its only a year old.

1 Like