I don't understand the value of using sim rate acceleration

It seems that most people use sim rate to speed up long flights (ETOPS, for example) because they don’t want to sit in front of the computer for hours waiting for something to do.

Why not just use the teleport function?

1 Like

because fuel does not get consumed part of the flight is correct fuel planing made easy by simbrief

3 Likes

The most demanding parts during a flight are the cold and dark startup procedure, taxiing to the runway, take off, gear up, flaps up and climb the bird untill cruise level has been reached.
Once at cruise level, I order a beverage and food from the cabin crew.
Apart from checking fuel consumption and monitoring the systems in general there’s not much to do in the cockpit.
From the moment of reaching top of decent, the party gets on again.
Approach, landing, taxi to the gate, unloading the passengers and or luggage and grab a taxi to the hotel…
In my brain I’d like to skip the ‘cruise’.
IRL it’s impossible.

Happy :small_airplane:

13 Likes

That makes sense. I wasn’t thinking that deeply.

3 Likes

In the sim maybe but not in the real world. There is always plenty of stuff going on in the cruise, in fact it can quite often be every bit as busy as the bits nearer the ground. Perhaps a bit less so on shorthaul in Europe and North America, but on longhaul there is a heck of a lot of stuff to think about, to brief and to plan.

1 Like

No teleporting for me, have you watched The Fly??? :rofl:

7 Likes

Whenever I use teleport to advance to the descend phase I end up below 1000 feet, approaching overspeed and heding into a mountain or something.

1 Like

LOL.

And I have watched a lot of Star Trek.

There’s been a few interesting malfunctions:

• Evil Kirk
  • Parallel dimension Kirk
  • Nearly killed Kirk on a starship about to explode inside a cavernous planet-eating space machine while Scotty struggles to fix the transporter in time.

Good stuff. :laughing:

6 Likes

6 Likes

The clock doesn’t move.
The Hobbs meter doesn’t record flight time.
The day or night doesn’t change.
What’s the point of a flight simulator, if you’re not going to fly? (albeit at a faster speed).

Imagine you’re playing a first person shooter. Do you use Shift to run? Probably. that’s what SimRate is for Flight Simulator. Just a hurry-up-and-go-faster button.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of it.

Because the current MSFS one doesn’t work too well.

That said, the QualityWings (remember them?) 787 had a well put together teleport function in P3D.
It would move your aircraft to your chosen point on your flight plan, while also reducing the appropriate amount of fuel from your aircraft, advance the flight time on the PFD clock and change the time of day of the sim.

Wasn’t perfect, but much better than what we have now.

3 Likes

In my case, FSEconomy doesn’t allow teleporting

2 Likes

For me it’s something I’m surprised no-one has mentioned yet, I still like to watch the scenery go by!
(Admittedly in this case it’s at a higher speed, I usually use 4x rate, and doesn’t apply to oceanic flying of course :crazy_face: )

6 Likes

Not to mention Tuvix.

2 Likes

An additional use of sim rate acceleration is when creating flight plans.

I create low, slow VFR sightseeing plans using waypoints like they are custom POIs. This is not simple because waypoints are not designed for this purpose. It requires a lot ( a lot! ) of trial and error flights to produce even simple flights of this nature. Make a change, fly the plan, make a change, fly the plan, …

Sim rate acceleration is very helpful when I am repeatedly flying through the plan to reach legs that I am working on.

1. Its poorly implemented, especially fuel consumption.

2. It will cause errors in some 3rd party apps like FSEconomy.

While time accelerations is immersion breaking, I don’t care to simulate boredom. My personal rule is I only use it above 10,000 or at cruise if cruise is below 10,000.

Can’t recall the last time I accelerated the sim rate. I have never used it in my 8,000 hours of VATSIM and PilotEdge combined. I’ve done 6+ hour flights before (though quite rare for me).

I use Sim Rate all the time for IFR/ILS flights.
Setup and takeoff.
AP on.
Sim Rate on (usually 4 clicks up/faster).
Fly to FAF or waypoint prior to FAF.
Fly down to FAF altitude, VS.
Arm APPR.
Slow to FAF approach speed.
Sim Rate off.
Fly down glideslope.

If I don’t use SimRate increase, I use Slew.

Isn’t ‘slew’ more like teleporting than sim rate acceleration?

1 Like