I gave up on VR. All vr games work great except this one

I am going to wait what their DX12 and memory optimization brings to the table. GPU is not my problem, my problem in VR is CPU. It hammers the framerate to half in VR for the same amount of pixels and settings compared to flatscreen because the render pipeline has to be done twice. If their DX12/memory optimisations will not do anything, I will sell my HMD again. Just blindly updating to some beast PC to get it halfway running, while Asobo runs a simulator on some totally outdated API which is DX11, is kind of dumb. Pull the finger Asobo, I say!

I have a Ryzen 3900x, mostly I use steam gauge planes because they are simply more interesting for me in VR. TBM, etc donā€™t work very well in VR, maybe I need different settings for glass cockpit, but at the moment I donā€™t mind too much. Itā€™s fun enough flying the planes that work well in VR.

Thanks. The C152 runs great for me in VR, no stuttering even during taxi.

All the complex aircraft perform poorly with the DA62 and TBM being the least worst. This is the reason for me having to disable ASW. These are the aircraft causing hitches and stutters requiring ASW to smooth them out in the first place.

Prior to world update 3, I had ASW working with the complex glass cockpit aircraft on 2 different PCs. This is the ASW problem Iā€™m hoping gets fixed.

We can only hope that SU4 (or whatever moniker it has now) will bring improvement to VR integration because at the moment itā€™s too sloppy and unpredictable. A full VR UI would also be a nice addition.

1 Like

I think it has to do with the platform. With a Reverb you have to run XP through SteamVR for WMR and it sometimes is a challenge just opening everything in the right order, turning on the controllers in the right order, etcā€¦

With MSFS and a Reverb you donā€™t need anything and it runs pretty seamless with a WMR headset. For you with a rift or quest I think you have to have a background program running for MSFS right? So that probably has alot to do with it.

I tried it again, wasted 2 more hours tweaking settings and it is terrible.
when ever I put the glass I see in my monitor the screen splitted streaming for each eye. Is this normal? could that be affecting the performance? if so how can I turn that off.

I donā€™t know to explain the feeling. It is not low fps, I have a 3070 anr ryzen 5 with 32 of ram, and even at the lowest everything is kind of wobbling or stuttering. You know what I mean? It makes me sick and mess up my eyes. This never happened to me in any game.

1 Like

Wobbling and stuttering sounds like the ASW issue I have had since WU3.

Disable ASW using oculus tray tool before launching the sim.

You can also try pausing the sim mid flight and see if the wobbling disappears.

Amazing, I had no expectations with the tray tool but it did work. Thank you.
So disable ASW clears all the wobbling and stuterring but also seems to make the experience less smooth.
I tried all the option. 45hz, 45hz forced, and 30 hzm the higher the hz the more the issues appears again.
So the best result is to go with 30 hz and take the hit off wobbling from time to time, because averall it is smother that completly disabling ASW.

R

1 Like

I have a reverb g2 running the windows store version,

It always loads mixed reality portal, are you suggesting this doesnā€™t have to take place and solely uses openXR?

If so could you let me know how to launch vr in 2020 without the portal opening up?

Kind regards

No not at all the WMR portal always opens up, but its pretty automatic and seemless, at least for me.

With XP, you have to open WMR, then open SteamVR, then open XP. Then half the time your controller isnā€™t working, or SteamVR crashes, etcā€¦and the XP load times take FOREVER. MSFS boots up lightning fast compared to XP.

Ah gotcha, sorry I misinterpreted what you said before,

Mine launches pretty quick, the only gripe I have, is when I need to pop into 2D mode to check vatsim channels / charts it takes ages! Might grab out my second monitor to help with that, unless thereā€™s a way to get charts and vpilot into VR?

i have an 3080 (with G1) and i can only manage to fly non glass cockpit planes, although it is an amazing piece of software it is just not ready for VR, if even high end ā‚¬ 5000 PCā€™s cant reach smooth flying its just not ready.

With X-plane it only struggles in high dense areas, and with DCS its almost never an issue

1 Like

Yep, Iā€™ve all but given up on VR for 2020 for now. Ironically, itā€™s pointed me back to XP even more. Iā€™ve got all ORBX TrueEarth scenery for it, plus ActiveSky, XEnviro, Traffic Global etc and to be honest, with that combo, XP is a far better experience in VR (and largely in pancake, too). Itā€™s just soooo smooth, which makes it incredibly immersive. None of the illusion-breaking issues weā€™re getting here. Itā€™s also reintroduced me to Ortho4XP. Itā€™s been years since I last looked, and itā€™s crazy quick now with modern hardware to create photoscenery for anywhere on the planet for free. Combined with an HD mesh, plus Simheaven add-ons, itā€™s really pretty close to 2020. Iā€™ve been doing the same flight one after the other in both sims for a while now to compare, and Iā€™m setting on XP. Sure, it ainā€™t streamable scenery on the fly, butā€™s itā€™s also not a juddering mess.

2020 VR at the moment reminds me of the bad old FSX days, where we spent more time tweaking the sim for that extra single FPS than flying. That can be fun, but right now I want to fly and not tweak.

3 Likes

Amen friend !!

For me itā€™s just the opposite. Meanwhile, MSFS2020 runs very well in VR (RTX3090 + G2). I no longer need an additional 1000 plug-ins; I donā€™t get any messages that my navigation data is out of date, I have a good, if not perfect ATC in the VR cockpit, I have multiplayer (in XP you always feel alone in the air) ā€¦ I only open XP to use the ZIBO to fly. Best plane of all, especially in VR. I wish the ZIBO existed for MSFS ā€¦

Yes and no. Sure, we donā€™t need the 1000 plugins which is nice for sure. But, some of us unfortunately do need to spend countless hours trying to get reasonable VR performance, and quite often make no progress. So itā€™s just moving the problem elsewhere. I accept not everyone has the issues and thatā€™s terrific for them, but plug and play, it ainā€™t.

1 Like

I have to admit that I was lucky enough to get hold of an RTX 3090. In the beginning I just adjusted and optimized in MSFS almost every day. Then I got fed up and left everything on the standard. Most of the time I flew with XP and only checked MSFS every now and then. But MSFS just got better and better with the recent updates in VR. Ok, I mostly fly the TBM 930, but it slips into VR. What also helped a lot, I have had a 250 DSL line for 2 weeks. At the moment there is nothing more beautiful than flying into fat mountains of clouds with VR at sunset :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Actually, thatā€™s reminded me of somethig I need to try. I get about 40Mb download on my home broadband, but about 70 on mobile, lol, so was going to try and stream via mobile to see if it helped.

Thanks for the reminder!

I agree that internet speed has more to do with it than is discussed. With same hardware on two different internet sources produced major differences in VR. 150mbps connection was grainy and smeared where as my 1gbps has fairly smooth graphics. I seem to only get chop while turning on the ground.

I use VRDesktop to connect with SteamVR. (MS store version) This is stable and enjoyable. I recently tried Oculus AirLink but it was choppy and not smooth so I went back to VRDesktop for now. Iā€™m hoping it improves in the future.

HW: 5800x, 6800xt, 32GB 4000Mhz RAM.

I think youā€™re right. Was tinkering again last night (I just canā€™t help myself!) and the biggest improvement came from reducing the bandwidth limit down to 5Mb.